Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,224 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well that may be your opinion, but weren't you also saying that Leo staged the 'coffee girl' incident to get him some kudos?

I wouldn't take your take on stuff too seriously to be honest.

Anyway, no real update on this, the process has moved on but nothing substantial has developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I doubt it will either, DPP will do a full review which could take weeks. If they don't then accusations will be fired at them that it wasn't reviewed correctly

DPP could take months I've heard but no idea really.

If there are no charges to be brought, I can see howls from the usual crew about conspiracies and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,463 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The hatred runs deep among those who oppose Leo. It is personal and visceral for many of them. Social media is full of these people letting their masks slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Because....

Varadkar apologises over leak of confidential GP contract to rival group

It was a private negotiation between the IMO and dept. of health.

• Advertisement

Whats personal about this story? Most of the rest of us are discussing him leaking the document.

I didn't know the Garda sent every claim to the DPP.

I didn't know the Garda sent every claim to the DPP.

You cant read anything into that, as this is a case with a lot of eyes, so the Gardai will offload the responsibility to the DPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That's not what was asked though. Revert to deflection because you're incapable of admitting being wrong - then repeat the same lie again in a few weeks.

You claimed that the IMO don't negotiate on behalf of anyone but their own members - and keep repeating that lie ad nauseum.

When it comes to GMS service contracts, the IMO are explicitly empowered to negotiate on behalf of all GPs

The disingenuous repeating of the lie is getting tiresome. The same old material produced time and again, discredited time and again. It is a process of attempting to turn myth into fact by repeated repetition of lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭jmcc

This might be a bit difficult for you to understand but when I said "Sunday Times" I meant a completely different newspaper to the "Irish Times". The ST's B&A poll was more recent and was more likely to capture current opinion than one taken at the start of April. And as for the Putin joke, do you really need the humour explained?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Why was it confidential? Why did Leo's friend have a union at all? Why was that union excluded? Why did Leo's friend want the document?

The excuse we hear is Leo passed it for the greater good. If the IMO were representative of all GPS, why ask Leo to leak it for a rival union?

Leo leaked a confidential negotiation document to the Head of a rival union. Thats the issue.

IMO, Leo was helping his friend out, not all GPS as some have claimed. Especially if the IMO were already negotiating on their behalf. Right?

😂

I planned the "mistake". At this stage so many people are doing so many opinion polls they are pretty much worthless. If you find one to agree with a point, someone else will find one to disagree. I gave a perfect example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The reason for the NAGP being excluded has already been in explained - in a post you quoted earlier today. Seems like you're just trying to bait posters for a reaction at this stage.

Here's the IMO themselves explaining how it would work

The IMO negotiated on behalf of all GPs, but didn't have the power to bind ANY GPs to the contract. Once it was negotiated the next stage was for consultation with the NAGP, and then for the contract to be put to all individual GPs or GP practices and each and every one of them given the decision as to whether to sign up or not. All explained dozens of time for you at this stage - but conveniently ignored because it doesn't fit with your bizarre Varadkar obsession.

Good God! How ever will FF and SF win against such brilliance? A troll on the Abu thread claimed that I knew nothing about databases. I couldn't write SQL for all of four seconds after that from laughing at him. This is definitely in a class of its own. Have you considered a career in politics? You'd be frontbench material. :)

Regards...jmcc

“Write SQL”

Get a big boys database and come back to me

Perhaps not. Others may point out the difference between database software and database content. It is difficult enough to follow this leak story as it is without having to work out why FG still supports Varadkar. The narrative is continually changing from there being nothing to see, to a Garda criminal investigation that was not going to find any evidence (despite Varadkar's confession), to a file being submitted to the DPP.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭political analyst

In the Indo (25 April 2022), Fionnán Sheahan wrote:

"Nobody can realistically say when the DPP will make a decision. What benefits Varadkar is the question of an obvious successor within Fine Gael is not answereed. Simon Coveney and Paschal Donohoe represent stability and continuity, but don't have the popularity among their own TDs".

If Varadkar is charged or if the DPP doesn't make a decision either way until after Christmas, either Coveney or Donohoe will have to become Taoiseach regardless of their levels of popularity among their party colleagues in the Dáil. Coveney looks and sounds more statesmanlike than Donohoe - and is much less gaffe-prone than Varadkar.

When he entered into that online conversation with Ó Tuathail and others, Varadkar failed to recognise at the time that Chay Bowes had a grudge. That alone calls his competence into question. Coveney is much less likely to make such a mistake.

And Sheahan is considered to be FGish. There has been quite a shift in the Sindo/Indo editorial line since the Belgians bought IN&M in a firesale. Sunday's coverage would have been unthinkable under its previous ownership. Coveney has also been problematic. The Zapponegate thing didn't help FG either. Donohoe's solo run before Christmas saying that he worked well with Micheal McGrath/FF (a possible replacement for Martin) appeared to be an attempt to position himself as a future FG leader. Whatever happens, FG will probably end up tearing itself apart as the competing groups plot to replace Varadkar.

Regards...jmcc

You are harping on this, when my only observation is, Leo leaked a confidential negotiation document to his friend, the then head of a rival union.

The ifs and buts don't dispute that.

People have claimed Leo did it for the greater good to include all GPS. You have blown that defence out of the water.

As I suspected he was doing his friend a favour. A friend who needed a win for his union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The Claire Byrne Live show yesterday did a phone poll about Leo being the next Taoiseach if the DPP has not decided either he should be charged or not but did not mention this or the results in last nights show. Was this because the majority of those polled did not agree about Leo becoming Taoiseach.

I know a few of you will think this is BS but the proof is below.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭political analyst

The difference with that Coveney has never been accused of a crime.

True. Interestingly, the FG grassroots chose Coveney as their leader in the leadership election but the FG Politburo imposed Varadkar as the leader. FG would not be in such a dire position (with even fewer seats than FF or SF) under Coveney. The funny thing is that some FGers still think that Varadkar is a great leader despite the leak and serial election losses. Varadkar even laid into Sir Garret the Good in the Irish Times a few years ago. He led FG to third place behind SF and continually lost seats for FG.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I don't care what you provided, there was nothing discredited, as a matter of fact, the only time I have seen that there was, is when you and one or two others said so,

Would you like to point to where it was 'discredited'? IIRC last time, somebody jumped in on the thread and said that they discredited it, tried to show us where, and were unable.

All of these threads are kept and archived, so the information is still there for you to link to.

I have a feeling it is just a link to you or another boards poster saying it ain't so.. 😂 and that's it.

Discredited.. 🤣

I am sorry here, but I explained to you the difference between a Government document covered by the Cabinet handbook, and a document that is not a government document, because it is in the hands of a private group. Apart from telling me "you're wrong" without any analysis, that has been the sum total of your response.

Claiming that it is a fact that Varadkar breached the Cabinet guidelines when it has been explained why that isn't the case is just repeating discredited propaganda unless you can specifically dismantle the case against.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Apologise all you want, but telling me that you explained anything without linking to it is nonsense. First of all, you never explained anything to me, and if you tried to, I would only take any of it with some proof to back it up. You are repeating that the initial argument is wrong, and citing evidence is needed without providing any for yourself.

It has not been discredited, and will remain that way. The only thing you keep mentioning over and over again, as it is central to your argument, is that it was a document in the hands of a private group, and therefore not a Government document, which is nonsense.

That group were central to the negotiations,they were involved in the drafting of it, so of course they had access to it, if you also read the handbook rules you will see anyway, that it can be given to people involved in the negotiations. That aside, they were indeed confidential government documents, as has been mentioned in every single article since it was known that Leo leaked them.

So I will repeat myself, and hope that you do not again without some sort of proof. Nothing has been discredited just because you say it has.

Nowhere have I seen anything to discredit the facts that Leo leaked a confidential government document to somebody that was not privy to the negotiations or involved with the making of the contract. You can bullsquat all you want about the rulebook not being real and the document already being in private hands 🙄, but that does not discredit the facts.

Nobody has said he didn't do anything wrong. Politicians do wrong everyday. It is wrong in my opinion for politicians to sue the national broadcaster yet it happens. However, doing something wrong, isn't illegal, or isn't a resigning matter.

The illegality of the situation will be a DPP decision not yours. The Gardai submitted the file to the DPP with the evidence.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The illegality of the situation will be decided by a court. The DPP will have an opinion whether a law was or was not broken and thus whether a prosecution should be attempted based on the evidence.

But the only actual declaration that the law was broken can take place in court.

• Advertisement

We absolutely DO NOT know if the file contains evidence of anything

What we only know for certain is the file will contain an extensive investigation of the allegations of crimes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement