Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are boards users a just bit smarter than people on other social media?

Options
  • 30-10-2020 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭

Not that everyone is but in general the quality of conversation is clearly a cut above most other online discussion forms and discussion on media platforms that we'd be familiar with. Funnily enough just saw that other thread about conspiracy theroies pop up and was only thinking myself this morning after reading through a COVID twitter thread how infuratingly dogmatic and stubborn most of the posters there were. They had one opinion(that they probably heard from somebody else and didn't even come up with themsleves), about COVID, you know the usual ones it's flu most people died with covid not of etc, and clearly wouldn't budge an inch on anything no matter what convincing evidence was presented and swallow anything and everything that confirmed their narrow worldview. But it made me wonder, where are these kind of people in real life, do they walk among us or stay in their house all day?

You'd be ostracised for voicing such uninformed crap by most people in most circles I would have thought but likewise I would say most people I come into contact with in person are not as forthcoming with well formed or articulated views as people on here. Where do most people fall in reality? Are people just more comfortable expressing their opinions online, anonymously.
    On Boards I often come away feeling a bit self conscious of how one dimensional and uncomplex my views on some topics are compared to what seems like every other poster in some given threads, all expressed very coherently and adorned with flowery vocabulary and often really funny and enjoyable to read to boot. Not to start a congratulatory circle jerk about the elite users of boards posters but genuinely am wondering, I'd consider myself reasonably intelligent but on boards I think most people have a pretty strikingly strong command of language and ability to express opinion very coherently, and at great length and complexity
    I thought maybe perhaps people who are less confident in their own opinions may be less likely to post and so spend less time forming for their opinions coherently for others to understand, but it doesnt seem to be the case on other social media though, where anything goes in the sewers of twitter and facebook.

Anyone think the same?
    No Idea what the most common demographic user on boards are but could that be an element to it? I think it's a great resource, and whenever an interesting news story comes up boards is usually my first port of call to get a good gauge of informed public opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

Mods generally keep it a step above what's on other social media. You can still spout shyte but not to the same extent as the likes of facebook, twitter, journal.ie, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I general in we think smarter are :o

People here are posting with anonymity but at the same time, with accounts they generally care about. The quality is going to be higher a lot of the time because you have to care about a topic to spend time on something that you yourself won't be linked to, but also worse sometimes because people take the anonymity as a chance to be an arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭3d4life

I general in we think smarter are :o
    Great to find someone else who thinks in reverse polish

How did this happen

- Did you have a HP 35 calculator ?

- Were a dab hand at programming in Forth ?

Anyone else a fan of reverse polish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I don't feel the quality is significantly better to be honest, maybe in the politics forum but certainly not AH or CA/IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It depends on the particular topic section, there are any amount of well informed posters on here about various topics and while I would not always agree with some, nor they me, I certainly try to respect their point of view.

If you are using AH as a sample size to determine intelligence per user however, you may be disappointed. Too many wind up merchants by times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,683 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes, I am a just bit smarter.
    I like to see the little f**ers wince.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Not really, no.

There’s a few around here who are clearly more erudite and intelligent than the average Joe, but there’s also an awful lot of mouth-breathers.

I’d like to think I’m firmly in the former category.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭3d4life

Yerself and A von B.....

• Advertisement

3d4life wrote: »
    Yerself and A von B.....

I’m no great fan of Aongus tbh, but there’s no doubt he’s one of the smarter punters around here.

Cheers for the compliment, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There’s a few around here who are clearly more erudite and intelligent than the average Joe, but there’s also an awful lot of mouth-breathers.

You went to Cheltenham at the start of the pandemic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Not that everyone is but in general the quality of conversation is clearly a cut above most other online discussion forms and discussion on media platforms that we'd be familiar with. Funnily enough just saw that other thread about conspiracy theroies pop up and was only thinking myself this morning after reading through a COVID twitter thread how infuratingly dogmatic and stubborn most of the posters there were. They had one opinion(that they probably heard from somebody else and didn't even come up with themsleves), about COVID, you know the usual ones it's flu most people died with covid not of etc, and clearly wouldn't budge an inch on anything no matter what convincing evidence was presented and swallow anything and everything that confirmed their narrow worldview. But it made me wonder, where are these kind of people in real life, do they walk among us or stay in their house all day?
    I was actually talking with one such person this very day. It's only the "flu", I won't wear a "muzzle" etc. When he got to talking about some master plan in the background... Well after putting some questions to him it was clear he'd not actually thought about it much if at all and had just absorbed it through social media(mostly whatsapp). Nice guy in general, not the most clued in beyond his day to day needs, but by no means not the stupidest either.

I have found that a large percentage of people operate day to day within a comfortable routine they've built up and nurtured and something like this throws that outa whack(something that increases with age and I've found men are more prone to it), so you tend to get hardline positions going one way or the other. I've also bumped into those going around in full fear mode sterilising everything and becoming more shut in. Not healthy either, though they would be far less of a threat to the community in times of an epidemic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

I'm not here long, but observation is that it's s mishmash of all types of people.

As for intelligence there's emotional intelligence and being good at explaining yourself without being a dick or getting triggered by people's posts.

I was told it's a great place for the likes of the weather forecast and finding out about general day to day thing's.
    But I think I'll stay out of politics and current affairs, because that's where there's usually a lot of emotionally charged debate.

Nice day out there all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

. Some extremely intelligent, interesting and informed posters on here that you can learn a lot from. A lot of topics that attract a few experts in the field, often times I come to ask a question and am amazed at the time and effort some put into helping others.
    There are plenty of mouth breathing neanderthals on here as well but I tend to skip over their posts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Ronin247 wrote: »
    . Some extremely intelligent, interesting and informed posters on here that you can learn a lot from. A lot of topics that attract a few experts in the field, often times I come to ask a question and am amazed at the time and effort some put into helping others.
    There are plenty of mouth breathing neanderthals on here as well but I tend to skip over their posts

I think so too! And so many people post such substantial and lengthy posts loaded with info , I always wonder do they spend a long time on them structuring them so perfectly, do they like helping others learn, is that why they're doing it. Or do these lengthy bouts of wisdom just come effortlessly to them. Even if I'm quite informed on a topic, I don't know, writing a huge passage on boards to anonymous others just seems like a lot of effort to me, maybe I'm just lazy :p

Because I keep saying 'them' and 'they' and other vague things that give no context , in my mind I was thinking of the Personal Issues and relationship forum for example, every reply is so helpful and thoughtful and precise almost without exception

Omackeral wrote: »
    You went to Cheltenham at the start of the pandemic.

I got the ride, drank the neck off myself, and won a fortune over there, dude. Seems smart enough to me. Isolated of course upon my return. Not sure what your point is tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I often wonder that myself, I am amazed at the depth and breath of knowledge by posters on here. It's given me such a nuanced way of thinking(I've been a member since 07) but sometimes I wonder whether I have the intelligence to juggle all this information. It seems a lot easier to just be someone who spouts off soundbites or parrot other opinions. Complex thought is a slippery slope.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Complex thought is a slippery slope.
    Isn't that the truth! :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

You'd be ostracised for voicing such uninformed crap by most people in most circles I would have thought but likewise I would say most people I come into contact with in person are not as forthcoming with well formed or articulated views as people on here. Where do most people fall in reality? Are people just more comfortable expressing their opinions online, anonymously.
    On Boards I often come away feeling a bit self conscious of how one dimensional and uncomplex my views on some topics are compared to what seems like every other poster in some given threads, all expressed very coherently and adorned with flowery vocabulary and often really funny and enjoyable to read to boot. Not to start a congratulatory circle jerk about the elite users of boards posters but genuinely am wondering, I'd consider myself reasonably intelligent but on boards I think most people have a pretty strikingly strong command of language and ability to express opinion very coherently, and at great length and complexity
    I thought maybe perhaps people who are less confident in their own opinions may be less likely to post and so spend less time forming for their opinions coherently for others to understand, but it doesnt seem to be the case on other social media though, where anything goes in the sewers of twitter and facebook.

Anyone think the same?
    No Idea what the most common demographic user on boards are but could that be an element to it? I think it's a great resource, and whenever an interesting news story comes up boards is usually my first port of call to get a good gauge of informed public opinion

There are a lot of bright people on here, no doubt about it, but there are a lot of w@nkers as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'd be very interested to know what the number of beds/critical care nurses we would need to enable the allow people some semblance of normality. It seems the number is fairly arbitrary which I think is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I'd be very interested to know what the number of beds/critical care nurses we would need to enable the allow people some semblance of normality. It seems the number is fairly arbitrary which I think is a problem.

Can't get away from COVID talk these days no matter where ya go :P

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dognapper

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'd be very interested to know how people end up being scared of a disease that requires you to go and get a test to find out whether you may have it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Can't get away from COVID talk these days no matter where ya go :P

It’s going to be the new “ what’s the weather like “ conversation starter for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

cj maxx wrote: »
    It’s going to be the new “ what’s the weather like “ conversation starter for years!

And instead of the 'pollen count' we'll be hearing about Covid counts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

smarty pants

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I'm not on any other social media platform so I couldn't answer the question truly.
    What I will say there are good and bad, happy and unhappy people in life and in general, so its bound to crossover into social media. The fact that we can see each other and have user names allows posters in some sense to get carried away.
    In regards to the Mods, I know I've been pulled up a couple of times and to be fair, some of the stuff I posted I probably should've been banned, My opinion is there probably trying to keep an even balance and I think there doing a decent job. There are loads of highly intelligent posters on here, who I would say debate with passion, there are a few morons on here too ( see my warnings, hey thats a sense of humour thing and not a Mod Dig). But in real life I like off the wall humour and slightly crazy and humorous and basically fu¢ked up folks, and there all in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It depends on the particular topic section, there are any amount of well informed posters on here about various topics and while I would not always agree with some, nor they me, I certainly try to respect their point of view.

If you are using AH as a sample size to determine intelligence per user however, you may be disappointed. Too many wind up merchants by times.

This.

Then we have the screamers who get offended when anyone else has an opinion.

That said I reckon AH is not alone in having some posters with such issues. Though thankfully they’re not that common imo.

This to.
    CountNjord wrote: »
    I'm not here long, but observation is that it's s mishmash of all types of people.

As for intelligence there's emotional intelligence and being good at explaining yourself without being a dick or getting triggered by people's posts....

Never fully understand those who go completely off the deep end ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I think it is more to do with the age profiles of boards users than twitter users. With age, comes wisdom, or so they say.

Advertisement