Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left handed people

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

Complete lefty. I can't use a scythe. I've looked for a left handed one in vain. Same with bill hooks.

They're easily got. Give Fruit Hill Farm a call and they'll order in a left handed scythe for you with whichever blade you want. There's probably lots of other places to get them.

Lots of higher quality bill hooks can be used in either hand. You just need one that's sharpened from both sides rather than one.

Get back to me on using a chainsaw or angle grinder safely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

They're easily got. Give Fruit Hill Farm a call and they'll order in a left handed scythe for you with whichever blade you want. There's probably lots of other places to get them.

Lots of higher quality bill hooks can be used in either hand. You just need one that's sharpened from both sides rather than one.

Get back to me on using a chainsaw or angle grinder safely!
    Ill try that, thanks. I don't have any problem using chainsaws or angle grinders, funnily enough. As for the billhooks, I have a lot of older farm tools and the hooks have a step in the shaft, so even if I sharpen them for a lefty they still can't be used. I just have to buy new, which I hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

As a left hander I can't say I have too many issues.
    Scissors are awkward and a few other things like that. The few times I play golf I use right handed clubs and maybe that explains why I'm no Tiger Woods but somehow I don't think I could get on with left handed clubs.
    I naturally dismount a bike from the 'wrong' side, which causes problems with my Brompton as I have to be on the 'correct' side to fold it.

School was ok beyond writing with proper ink pens which blotted and smudged everywhere. Chequebooks were an issue but haven't written a cheque in years.
    I do have a clear memory of being hit hard enough in senior infants and being knocked to the ground. I remember opening my eyes and seeing the ceiling.
    That teacher wasn't a cruel woman and I encountered her many times after leaving school. I genuinely don't have any issues with her but isn't it disgraceful that even up to the early seventies we thought it acceptable to beat left-handedness out of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Somebody said that left-handed people are more likely to have dyslexia, so is there a chance that if they did the 'L' forefinger/thumb thing with their right hand, they may think they are correct in thinking it's the left? :pac:

Dyslexia has urined my life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Leftie here, out and proud. :D

I can use my right hand for lots of things like scissors, tin openers etc. so that's not really any hassle. In college the little writing platforms attached to chairs were a bit of a problem - very hard to find one for a ciotog like me. Also, my tennis hand is my right hand unless I hold the raquet backhand which is with the left.

Started kindergarten in 1979 and never any problem with using my left hand.
    The idea that left-handed children were forced, usually through violence to use their right hand is beyond despicable. :mad::mad::mad:

My father was also left-handed and in primary school in the late 1940s Belfast the teachers tried to force him to use his right hand but my grandmother went up to the school and gave them a piece of her mind and he was left alone after that.

Ireland really was one of the most backward countries in Europe less than two generations ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Imagine being an accidental leftie? :( I write with my left hand but it’s a mistake. I do everything else with my right hand (pipetting when I worked in a lab, using scissors, playing sports, sexy time stuff). My older siblings and mother are true lefties and I think I saw them writing with that hand and thought it was the right way. And my mother didn’t think to check because she’d had such a horrible experience in school with the nuns trying to force her to write with her right hand so she didn’t want to correct me.

I hate writing because my hand tires really quickly. Like after only a few sentences.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Another leftie here, in my mid-thirties so narrowly missed stigmata stigma. My older brother is a few years older and also left-handed, he wasn't as fortunate. Pious teacher in local gaelscoil forced to write with his right, my parents eventually got wind of it and pulled him out of there. All I got was a few cracks about the divil, rolled off my back. Sticks and stones. Sure I'm Damien's cousin after all. And yes the Catholic Church were an abhorrent shower of cowards the way they treated ciotógs in the past. Bastards.
    I teach in a Gaelscoil, I'm glad to say this has never happened in our school. I had a parent-teacher meeting years ago and mentioned that the child needed to write a little bit more neatly. Parents went on a tirade on how schools and teachers were so unfair to left handers etc. I picked up my pen and asked was it ok to take notes. Parents copped the pen was in my left hand and were embarrassed to say the least.

My MIL tried to " change" a grandchild and got the benefit of my forthright views. My late mother was made to change as a child and to the weeks before she died, if she got muddled, she would revert back to her left hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Not enough left handed guitars in shops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

They finger with their right hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    They finger with their right hand.

I'm sorry, they what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Lefties seem to make great free kick takers in football for some reason

Lefties seem to make great free kick takers in football for some reason

Goal kickers in rugby too.

Johnny Wilkinson, Dan Carter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Am I the only leftie who doesn't write hooked or smudges their page ? I hold the page sightly to the side but can never understand the hooked or upside down writing I see loads of lefties doing. Pet hates are scissors and knives. I use computer mouse with right hand as I can then write with left hand at same time when need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I naturally dismount a bike from the 'wrong' side, which causes problems with my Brompton as I have to be on the 'correct' side to fold it.

What's the wrong side ? I'm fairly ambidextrous but dismount bike from the right side. Is this 'wrong' or right ?

I can play table tennis with either hand, never tried hurling or tennis or other racket sports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Whats a ginger leftie then?

Fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mossie11

jenneyk19 wrote: »
    in the old days the priests and nuns and christian brothers would beat you
    if you wrote with your left hand

those were the days

in the old days the priests and nuns and christian brothers would beat you. full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

They have a right to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Don't wish to generalise, but Citoigs are the dogs blx at work anyway. Plenty of experience dealing with them.

Walk away now! LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I taught myself to use my left hand for writing. It was not in any way easy or understandable. But I am now ambidexterous apart from power tools lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Apparently ...
    A study at Durham University — which examined mortality data for cricketers whose handedness was a matter of public record — found that left-handed men were almost twice as likely to die in war as their right-handed contemporaries.[83] The study theorised that this was because weapons and other equipment was designed for the right-handed. “I can sympathise with all those left-handed cricketers who have gone to an early grave trying desperately to shoot straight with a right-handed Lee Enfield .303,” wrote a journalist reviewing the study in the cricket press.[84] The findings echo those of previous American studies, which found that left-handed US sailors were 34% more likely to have a serious accident than their right-handed counterparts.[85]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I taught myself to use my left hand for writing. It was not in any way easy or understandable. But I am now ambidexterous apart from power tools lol.

Do you wipe your arse with your left hand or right hand or do you use bog roll ?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Yeh I'm left handed but can write to some extent with right hand .... I kick a ball with right foot .... plus play racket sports and can play with either hand ..... I was asked one day why I didnt do back hand with racket .... just never needed it.

At school in the early years it was a knightmare learning to write with a fountain pen and remember teacher making me stand in front of room because of the mess I'd made of my writing ...... bitch!!!! I hated that hag . In later years it turned out my sister bought her house off the bint and after a month she turned up at door demanding the curtains from the upstairs!!!!! But that's another story.... maybe she should have punched her in head with left hand.
    You should have gave her so many lefts that she'd be begging for a right 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Am I the only leftie who doesn't write hooked or smudges their page ? I hold the page sightly to the side but can never understand the hooked or upside down writing I see loads of lefties doing. Pet hates are scissors and knives. I use computer mouse with right hand as I can then write with left hand at same time when need to.

I hold the pen with the tips of my fingers resting the heel of the palm on the lower page. Barack Obama is a famous leftie and has the hooked writing style and almost certainly learned to write this way to avoid smudging the page
    1200px-Barack_Obama_signs_at_his_desk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Benefits of being left handed;

Attacking medieval castles.
    Driving on the right .
    Boxing.
    Arm wrestling.

and so on.

Just thought of another one;
    Cutting the sheaves for the feeder on the threshing mill.
    A right handed cutter on the feeders left side was dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They have a right to exist.

Why do the rest of us have to put up with this constant barrage of pro leftie propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

jenneyk19 wrote: »
    in the old days the priests and nuns and christian brothers would beat you
    if you wrote with your left hand

those were the days

I’m in my late 40’s and endured torture from a teacher. Slapping and general abuse. My handwriting never recovered as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Apparently ...

I found shooting with a right handed gun the worst thing I have had to do as a left hander. Frightened the bejaysus out of me every time I had to load it. Swapping it over and back between hands, super dangerous.

I don't think I have ever cut a straight line with a scissors or cut a slice of bread or cake straight either. My handwriting is abysmal and embarassing and trying to write something away from a desk or table is near impossible. Used to hate writing on the whiteboard at school.

Play hurling and golf right handed for some reason.

Also hate the word 'ciotog' it's a personal insult if anyone calls me one. Usually from someone that has the dexterity of a manatee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I’m left handed and use my left for most things.

Except the computer, I use the mouse with my right hand, I am able to write and scroll/click on the PC at the same time, it freaks people out. It’s like a weird computer ambidextrous thing and is very handy!

I also turn ring binders around, so the ring part is to my right. So whenever anyone looks in any of my notes, it’s all written upside down :D

Advertisement