Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eggs question

Options
  • 29-10-2020 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Been eating keto lately and trying to eat better quality so went for the more expensive eggs in SuperValu. Both packs SuperValu own brand

One pack is organic, and the label states the hens are free to roam pastures

Other pack is “omega 3 enriched” and doesn’t state anything about the hens

Organic eggs - the yolk is very light, basically yellow, whereas the omega 3 enriched is dark orange, something I remember from eating eggs which I know were genuinely pastured as got them from my uncles farm.

Any thoughts on this? Thinking the organic egg providers might be fibbing about their hen’s conditions and prob just gonna go with the way mega 3 enriched, but any thoughts appreciated, or if there’s somewhere you’d recommend to get pastured eggs in Dublin (preferably Northside)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The colour of the yolk is largely down to diet from what I know. It's possible the organic diet is more restricted for teh chickens as it's more closely monitored or whatever.

Personally I buy the free range standard eggs and find them great (SV or Tesco own brand).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

I was of the opinion that the darker and deeper the yellow, the better the conditions for the chicken? I could be wrong though but I'll tell you one thing.. I've been to a few under developed regions and always notice the yolks are brighter in colour than anywhere.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I've been to a few under developed regions and always notice the yolks are brighter in colour than anywhere.

I've noticed that in Laois alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 c4rt0

Done some research on that a few years ago. Turns out quality of protein and yolk is no different between various feeding methods.

Advertisement