Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España 2020 | Stage 8 | Logroño - Alto de Moncalvillo (164km)

Options
  • 28-10-2020 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭

Another day and another mountain top finish! The first category Alto de Moncalvillo is 8.3 km in length with a 9.2% average gradient... it's a proper test!

bc640

vuelta-a-espana-2020-stage-8-climb-n2-d828ce65ec.jpg

Tom Dumoulin has abandoned before the start today due to fatigue. Kenny Elissonde (Trek-Segafredo) and Michal Golas (Ineos Grenadiers) are also non-starters. That means Carapaz only has five domestiques remaining instead of seven (you could argue that it really is only four because Froome is performing so badly...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I don't think that's fair on Froome. He's been at the front on a few occasions now, including yesterday. I know they're not massive stints, but he's doing his bit. Thing is, the Ineos boys went hard yesterday in that chase to keep Valverde and co. within touching distance. Today will be tough - those last 5 or 6kms.

We'll know more about podium chances after today for sure.

Cavagna in the break again. Is that is 3rd day out now?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Breakaway with over a 3 minute lead already but hard to see it staying ahead as some teams will be interested in the intermediate sprint.

I like Vlasov for this stage, looks just his cup of tea with the brutal finish. He wasn't so good at the start of this race but seems to have gotten over his bad patch, had to pull out of the Giro due to illness.

Another guy when could be in a winning breakaway is Bagioli who had an awful first week. I noted he stayed with the GC leaders yesterday which suggests he's hitting form in the second week too.

It could end up a battle between the GC boys, hopefully Dan can hang in there, he's looking very strong but I think the final climb doesn't really suit him.

Some strange things going on with Kuss. Going with the breakaway yesterday looked like a strange one for his team. I'm starting to suspect that Roglic is tired and they're looking at picking up other jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Movistar driving on the peloton. Breakaway gap was 5.25 in 10km since they took up the chase they've cut three minutes off it.
    Valverde said they are all working for Mas. Gotta think they fancy his chances today.

• Advertisement

Froome out the back already.

Small bit worried about Dan's chances today. How many teammates has he got?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Itziger wrote: »
    Small bit worried about Dan's chances today. How many teammates has he got?

Doesn't really matter...he never has teammates anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

eagle eye wrote: »
    Movistar driving on the peloton. Breakaway gap was 5.25 in 10km since they took up the chase they've cut three minutes off it.
    Valverde said they are all working for Mas. Gotta think they fancy his chances today.

Renowned team player Valverde, eh? Along with Soler who left Mas behind him the last day...will believe it when I see it.

retalivity wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter...he never has teammates anyway!
    Yes and no, I thought he was a bit far back in the group and just after I typed that, a teammate moved him up nearer the main players. Still think this is going to be tough. Hope he's on a good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This final climb looks incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

This is really being torn apart now.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

This is a hot pace, Dan looking strong so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Does Kuss ever break sweat? He nearly looks bored

Wow you could really see the gradient there. Ouch!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Go on Dan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

This has a real survival of the fittest feel to it!

I just hope that Dan hasn't pushed too hard too soon here.

The gradient starts to ease soon

Not much between the top 4 climbers here at all (including Dan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

great finish today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

chapeau roglic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Dan a plucky 3rd, Roglic looks like he will be hard to beat, best TTer of the main candidates too!

Dodge wrote: »
    Not much between the top 4 climbers here at all (including Dan)

And I think the finishing order today might be the final podium in that order too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Wow wow wow, what an ending. Every 500 meters or so the dynamic of the lead was drastically changing.

Jesus that was some battle. Chapeau Dan!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

What a finale.

Dan, fantastic. Just a tiny bit off the top 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Tenacious ride by Dan in what is turning into a shoot-out between himself and Carthy. That'll have hurt Carthy I think after his earlier dig/ bluff/ roll of the dice came to nothing. Smart riding from Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

Dodge wrote: »
    And I think the finishing order today might be the final podium in that order too

That’s a good call, Roglic will pick up some comfort seconds in the TT and hopefully Dan can hang on for 3rd which would be a fantastic result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

tL0NK6Y.png

Advertisement