Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock down Go Safe Vans

Options
2»

Comments

I'm all grown up, thanks. What do you mean by advertising in advance. They no longer need to have signs up in advance - that rule was changed at the last time they updated the locations. If you look up the roads they cover it's practically the entire network. Again, I've no problem with Go Safe vans, I do think they could be better distributed to more dangerous roads. If that's immature I'm guilty as charged.

You can use an interactive map and zoom in, plenty of places they wont be (https://www.garda.ie/gosafe.html)

List of locations and accident / fatality numbers here: https://www.garda.ie/en/Roads-Policing/Safety-Cameras/

and this is what one looks like at night time, if you didnt see it then its a good thing the road was not busy or you wouldnt have seen other vehicles either.

mobile_vans.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

All the po faced Green Party nannies out wagging their joyless fingers before cycling home in the rain I see

mobile_vans.png

Is that the exact van that was on the motorway? All I can go on is the van I passed. Besides, that area is far more lit up than where I passed.

I'm aware of that resource you referenced. It's as well to think the entire network is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If only there was some sort of dial in a car that could display vehicle speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Thread summary:

Person breaks law, thinks they were caught, whines publicly how unfair it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

I was driving into my village today to go park roughly 200 metres inside the 50kph zone from the changeover from 60kph as I turned a slight bend and a hedge overflowing the bend the lay by I use to park is just on the bend I noticed the speed van parked in there, I would of been just under the 60km and pulled in directly behind the van (it was parked horizontal instead of vertical on the spaces) and as I got out of my van the speed van started up and pulled out, what would be the time limit on that instance of them packing up or turning off the equipment they use to catch people speeding.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If only there was some sort of dial in a car that could display vehicle speed.

There is. It's called a speedometer, they have been standard equipment on cars since approx 1910. They are usually visible behind the steering wheel.

Hope this has been of help.

Thread summary:

Person breaks law, thinks they were caught, whines publicly how unfair it is.

Nah, don't think I will actually. But, you seem to want to ignore the point I was trying to make. In your defence yu're certainly not alone, so maybe I worded it poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭This is it

blackbox wrote: »
    When did Go Safe vans start patrolling motorways?

They're years on the N3 and M3

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I do appreciate speeding can be a sensitive topic and I didn't mean to be insensitive. I do think Go-Safe vans are better suited to genuine accident black spots. Motorways are relatively safe compared to other roads.

Passed by one well hidden on the N32 today. Less than 15 feet away is a shrine from where a child was killed a number of years ago. They can be in the most ridiculous of places but this one jump out at me as being the perfect place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I don't deliberately set my Speedo above the limit.

You will lose control at such a dangerous speed.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha

Is that the exact van that was on the motorway? All I can go on is the van I passed. Besides, that area is far more lit up than where I passed.

I'm aware of that resource you referenced. It's as well to think the entire network is covered.

The vans are all the same. I think you will find most organisations tend to deploy their fleet in similar patterns

If the one you passed was plain white, its for stats and is deployed before and after the enforcement van. they are all white though. You should be capable of seeing a white van on any stretch of rodway you are using and reduce your speed. Yes?

if you are aware of the links I provided then you will equally be aware that they are deployed in response to collisions and fatalities.

The vans are all the same. I think you will find most organisations tend to deploy their fleet in similar patterns

If the one you passed was plain white, its for stats and is deployed before and after the enforcement van. they are all white though. You should be capable of seeing a white van on any stretch of rodway you are using and reduce your speed. Yes?

if you are aware of the links I provided then you will equally be aware that they are deployed in response to collisions and fatalities.

Again, all I can go on is the van I passed. Also, there was no other van nearby, the other Go Safe Van I saw was over 100 kmph away.

Again, all I can go on is the van I passed. Also, there was no other van nearby, the other Go Safe Van I saw was over 100 kmph away.

**** me, really?

Before and after in time, not location. How would they obtain speed stats based on all 3 vans being in the vicinity at the same time?

The idea is that a test van is deployed on say Monday and they obtain numbers. On wednesday theres enforcement and then on friday theres testing again.

They then compare Monday to Friday and see if enforcement appears to have any impact

• Registered Users Posts: 28,501 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Truthvader wrote: »
    All the po faced Green Party nannies out wagging their joyless fingers before cycling home in the rain I see

Yes indeed, let's all have a big ol laugh about the effects of speeding.

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/Anti-Speeding-/

**** me, really?

Is there a written form of Tourettes? It doesn't add to your argument.

Who knows if it's a TEST vehicle or not. There are more vans on the M7 than before, that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Yes indeed, let's all have a big ol laugh about the effects of speeding.

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/Anti-Speeding-/

Oh no no no that wouldn't be appropriate at all. There's to be no laughter or fun. The most important thing is to be safe above all else. And of course to police and monitor other people at all times to make sure they are being sensible

Is there a written form of Tourettes? It doesn't add to your argument.

Who knows if it's a TEST vehicle or not. There are more vans on the M7 than before, that's the point.

You should know if your going to go online and start waffling about them

that and the fact that I explained it in what I thought was a fairly obvious manner

You should know if your going to go online and start waffling about them

that and the fact that I explained it in what I thought was a fairly obvious manner

I've a feeling you've way more stamina on this than I do. Not even sure what your point is, but please accept that you have won it thoroughly. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,501 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Truthvader wrote: »
    Oh no no no that wouldn't be appropriate at all. There's to be no laughter or fun. The most important thing is to be safe above all else. And of course to police and monitor other people at all times to make sure they are being sensible

I guess the most important thing is for speeding drivers to stop killing people on the roads. Any laughs or fun to be had there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I guess the most important thing is for speeding drivers to stop killing people on the roads. Any laughs or fun to be had there?

We should be targeting sensible.drivers because they are statistically involved in the majority of roads deaths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

99nsr125 wrote: »
    We should be targeting sensible.drivers because they are statistically involved in the majority of roads deaths.

I'd be more interested in the cause of them. But they tend not to be investigated unless a gard is involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Speed cameras should be hidden in secret locations.

Advertisement