Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Prize bonds query

• 26-10-2020 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ Barney224

Hi, probably a dumb question, but am considering putting €5k into prize bonds.

Is my €5k always safe and will never depreciate? And, do I just need to wait 90 days before I decide I want to withdraw my money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭ LawBoy2018

Barney224 wrote: »
    Hi, probably a dumb question, but am considering putting €5k into prize bonds.

Is my €5k always safe and will never depreciate? And, do I just need to wait 90 days before I decide I want to withdraw my money?

How would it depreciate? Via inflation? It would be no different to you storing it under your mattress/leaving it in your bank account.

They're 100% safe and backed by the state.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    How would it depreciate? Via inflation? It would be no different to you storing it under your mattress/leaving it in your bank account.

Actually with the introduction of negative interest rates it is no longer the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭ The J Stands for Jay

LawBoy2018 wrote: »

A non-serious reply:

Imagine negative interest applied to prize bonds. A few unfortunates every month would have their bond cancelled when its number is drawn as the "winner". All other bonds continue with no charge.

Advertisement