Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle in or out

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

Bucketed down rain over the weekend. It woke me in the middle of the night it was so heavy, the type of showers that would fill a bucket for ya.
    Went out this morning expecting the cows to be bawling after me but they have no interest in going into the shed.
    Happy out for another while they said.
    cowsout.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Flattened all existing sheds here..started knocking June 23rd...still waiting on sheeting and barriers 3 weeks to go still. I've another shed a few miles away but that can only house about 2 thirds of what stock are on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Going to to house 4 650kg bullocks tomorrow in the hope to finishing them in the next 2 months. On 4kg Aurivo Nutrias Excel Beef ATP 14% and good silage and fresh grass every other day. A neighbour suggested feed the nut and introduce a mixture of barley and oats as well. Is this a good idea? Also going to feed the nuts 3 times a day, how many kg of nut can l build up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Heavy farm here and also part time. Grass running out quick,. Will have most stock (suckler cows and calves, and 25 year store heifers, housed here by the weekend. Hoping to keep out 40 bucket fed calves for another 3 weeks. Have 40 year and half bullocks housed since Saturday.
    Having heavy covers at this time of the year can be tough going, with the weather. Could graze a little bit more of some of the ground grazed late September, early Oct, but held off to mind ground. Will be off more value in the spring with light yearlings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Hagimalone wrote: »
    Going to to house 4 650kg bullocks tomorrow in the hope to finishing them in the next 2 months. On 4kg Aurivo Nutrias Excel Beef ATP 14% and good silage and fresh grass every other day. A neighbour suggested feed the nut and introduce a mixture of barley and oats as well. Is this a good idea? Also going to feed the nuts 3 times a day, how many kg of nut can l build up to?

You could feed them 8kg or more a day if continental’s or go ad-lib if you need them gone. For four bullocks I wouldn’t be bothered with your neighbours idea. Keep it simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

All in. Ground is fair wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

have them in since friday, opened the pit, have 20 acres of lovely green grass on driest field but kept it for the store lambs, thought it would be a waste to see heifers trample it and dirty into the ground, 200 lambs on it should flesh them up well before meal needs introducing. saving fields and closeing for lambing as well so get cattle in out of the way,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Dickie10 wrote: »
    have them in since friday, opened the pit, have 20 acres of lovely green grass on driest field but kept it for the store lambs, thought it would be a waste to see heifers trample it and dirty into the ground, 200 lambs on it should flesh them up well before meal needs introducing. saving fields and closeing for lambing as well so get cattle in out of the way,

You’ve a good few lambs. Have you a race or do you just tighten them in a pen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Terrible rain here today, kept cows in after milking,this morning, last night was their first night in this autumn.

Tomorrow looking middling weather wise and we have decided to house most of the cattle, main reason is to spare the fast disappearing grass for ewes hoping to keep them outdoors for as long as possible..

We hope to get the milkers out for a few hours most days

Could be a long winter. Never know we might get an early spring hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The wheel has really fallen off the cart here, ok to absolute shi7 wet in 48 hrs.
    All in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The wheel has really fallen off the cart here, ok to absolute shi7 wet in 48 hrs.
    All in.

You’ve a good few lambs. Have you a race or do you just tighten them in a pen?

theres a permanant pen in the corner of the field their in. if im weighing and doing feet i just use pen, if dosing i set up the race within the pen , its a 20ft race, set up gates etc to tighten as i go.

Got hedges cut yesterday didn’t mark the ground good job it’s not today , awful lot of rain fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭older by the day

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Got hedges cut yesterday didn’t mark the ground good job it’s not today , awful lot of rain fell.

This might sound simple but that is one lovely looking field. All in here except calves. Not worth rotavating the land for spring. Might dry next week !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Too late and dark yesterday evening to move wire for cattle so I did it early this morning.
    Despite the barrage of cold wind and rain over the last 36 hours they were happy out and full as ticks this morning.
    Expected them to be hungry and miserable looking.
    They're alright for another while

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Waterford.

Weanlings in and out here. They’re grazing a field beside the cubicles so I’m feeding them meal/barley in the yard and leaving it up to themselves if they want to go into the shed itself. They’ve slept inside the last few nights and I wouldn’t blame them!

They’ll move onto rape over the next few days but have a lie-back to graze there too. It’s wet though so I don’t think they’ll get much good out of it.

Sheep have another month to go grazing here and there. Will start feeding them beet outside from 1-Dec til 1-Jan, then into the cubicles/shed til they start lambing in Feb/March.

It’ll be Spring before we know it!

I wish it was as I’m wary enough with the weanlings on rape. It’s our first year keeping cattle over winter and I’m hoping our little Deutz 6806 will manage OK drawing bales out to them.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Waterford.

Weanlings in and out here. They’re grazing a field beside the cubicles so I’m feeding them meal/barley in the yard and leaving it up to themselves if they want to go into the shed itself. They’ve slept inside the last few nights and I wouldn’t blame them!

They’ll move onto rape over the next few days but have a lie-back to graze there too. It’s wet though so I don’t think they’ll get much good out of it.

Sheep have another month to go grazing here and there. Will start feeding them beet outside from 1-Dec til 1-Jan, then into the cubicles/shed til they start lambing in Feb/March.

It’ll be Spring before we know it!

I wish it was as I’m wary enough with the weanlings on rape. It’s our first year keeping cattle over winter and I’m hoping our little Deutz 6806 will manage OK drawing bales out to them.

Ideally you should have put the bales out first. Doing it now you need appoint near a gap or fence where you can drop the bale into or under the feeder. I did this next to a fence once but had it red hot with an electric fence. They be slow to eat the raoe until the grass on the lie back is gone so give them very limited access to it. You need to supplement iodine you can add it to a water trough or squirt it on top of silage if they all have access. Have fed weanlings and store bullocks that way over the years. They always did ok out if it. You need to have it finished by March 7th as yellow flowers are poisioness to cattle. A few are not an issue but a flush of them is. It really a learning experience and adapting you system to work off it

Slava Ukrainii

Ideally you should have put the bales out first. Doing it now you need appoint near a gap or fence where you can drop the bale into or under the feeder. I did this next to a fence once but had it red hot with an electric fence. They be slow to eat the raoe until the grass on the lie back is gone so give them very limited access to it. You need to supplement iodine you can add it to a water trough or squirt it on top of silage if they all have access. Have fed weanlings and store bullocks that way over the years. They always did ok out if it. You need to have it finished by March 7th as yellow flowers are poisioness to cattle. A few are not an issue but a flush of them is. It really a learning experience and adapting you system to work off it

Thanks for that.

What’s the iodine for? I’m going to continue giving them barley/meal. Could you mix the iodine in with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Still out at least another fortnight trying to get heavy covers pared before the winter. Ground just about holding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Thanks for that.

What’s the iodine for? I’m going to continue giving them barley/meal. Could you mix the iodine in with that?

Cattle on brassicas get deficient in it. Its recommented that you supplement it. Its only a small amount not sure is it about 4-5cc/ head. Have d to spray it evenly over ration unless you had a mister bottle. I have squeezed it into water and over silage. You get a gallon in any vets shop. He should be able to tell you how much per head.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Cattle on brassicas get deficient in it. Its recommented that you supplement it. Its only a small amount not sure is it about 4-5cc/ head. Have d to spray it evenly over ration unless you had a mister bottle. I have squeezed it into water and over silage. You get a gallon in any vets shop. He should be able to tell you how much per head.

Sound - thanks for that.

I need to call in to the vets office anyway to ask about vaccines for these weanlings. They cost too much not to spend a few more quid to avoid blackleg, salmonella, and god knows what else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Both 1.5 years and weanlings on grass by day and silage by night. Option of out or in as they wish.
    Siamsa two shots for the blackleg about 6 weeks apart. Doing my weanlings ATM so I can castrate next April.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

All in today. Lands not in too bad of condition but looking for angus cattle in the dark after work is no fun.

Water John wrote: »
    Both 1.5 years and weanlings on grass by day and silage by night. Option of out or in as they wish.
    Siamsa two shots for the blackleg about 6 weeks apart. Doing my weanlings ATM so I can castrate next April.

I had a great chat with the vet today and covered options for various vaccines. Even to get the info and start to understand more gives a sense of relief!

emaherx wrote: »
    All in today. Lands not in too bad of condition but looking for angus cattle in the dark after work is no fun.

Have to get them hi-vis jackets.

Water John wrote: »
    Have to get them hi-vis jackets.

:D

Could do but....
    Nice to have them in now until I get fed up looking at them indoors in spring ;)

Think I need to clean the cameras off :D
    531185.jpeg

Have a sheltered paddock with grass away from the sheds, was hoping to get the weanlings back out to it for two/three weeks if the weather settles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

emaherx wrote: »

Time to buy some good Charolais

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Time to buy some good Charolais

Hard to see them during the day then tho.

Advertisement