Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

For those with a penchant for fine fliegers.

543560.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Pic to keep it piccy, they are all kinda the same really....watches I mean.

Screenshot-2021-02-14-105054.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That navigator/flieger dial layout is a fantastic design CT. About as legible as you can get. A design that has seemed to completely avoid the nazi associations, even when it was "their" design, though the origins are rarely mentioned in advertising. Pity the originals are so damned huge 52mm kinda size. Though they do suffer value wise from the associations. OK they're 4 and 5 grand, way more for the IWC ones, but compared to allied stuff, they're generally a third of the values or less. Issued German army Longines? 1000 quid. Issued British army Longines? 5000 quid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    That navigator/flieger dial layout is a fantastic design CT. About as legible as you can get.

Regarding legibility the one criticism I would have is that the second hand is too prominent. On the Stowa I often, in glancing at the dial, mistake the second for the minute hand.

I know the second hand was important for some German navigator/observer in wartime but as a civilian I'd prefer if it was a lot thinner or coloured red.

Regarding legibility the one criticism I would have is that the second hand is too prominent. On the Stowa I often, in glancing at the dial, mistake the second for the minute hand.

I know the second hand was important for some German navigator/observer in wartime but as a civilian I'd prefer if it was a lot thinner or coloured red.

If they didnt lume the entire second hand it would be better, maybe just the tip? (oh matron)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think the originals got away with it because the hands were larger and the second's hand thinner.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Cleaned up the thread and moved chat to the chat thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

543696.jpg

Aiming to get back into wearing a watch everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Aiming to get back into wearing a watch everyday.

Nice Seiko.

I'd say I have worn a watch every day for more than 30 years. When I don't have one on, it's like driving with no seat belt, it feels unnatural.

IMG-20210215-113150-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,604 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I picked up a couple of steel bracelets that I'd forgotten I'd ordered.
    My Kreisler/Coffin link for my astronaut is suffering from a dodgy spring bar in the clasp.
    The replacements I've found so far have all been a bit wide at the head and don't seat well enough to leave me any confidence when I wear it.
    Slimmer ones are on the way tho :)

So I had ordered a generic matte/polished combo bracelet that arrived this morning and looks better than I'd hoped on the watch! :D

Also ordered a cheapo canvas strap for the IWC to try out. No photos yet, but will add some when I swap it over.

MVIMG-20210215-115301.jpg
    IMG-20210215-115323.jpg
    MVIMG-20210215-115336.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

IMG-20210215-103838-040.jpg

Sumo Monday

banie01 wrote: »
    I picked up a couple of steel bracelets that I'd forgotten I'd ordered.
    I bloody adore that Accutron. :)
    2shea wrote: »

Sumo Monday
    Can't really go wrong with a Sumo, or a Seiko for that matter. You nailed the photogenic hand position to a tee 2Shea :)

Interesting thing about Seiko. When they joined the chronometer competitions in the early 60's they started off decidedly out of the game, coming in 100 and something place, but with each year crept higher and higher up the rankings. In 1966 things started to change. First with Girard Perregaux who before were a bit player in the trials, they brought their high beat movement(the first from any manufacturer) and rather than one off the highly fettled movements that all the others used GP submitted production movements you could walk out and actually buy and won across the board.

This spurred Seiko on and by 1968 they too brought one of their production movements to the trials. They took seven of the the top ten prizes from the Swiss. The Swiss took the top three. Only thing was, the Swiss movements were all quartz. So in the home ground of Swiss mechanical chronometer excellence Seiko produced the most accurate mechanical timepiece in its history. And you could buy one in the shops.

While nigh on everyone has had Chronometer on their dials, Seiko along with Girard Perregaux are the only two watch brands in history who have sold Observatory Chronometer Certified watches to the public and in some quantities(COSC certs are significantly easier to get).

543720.jpg

This Japanese threat did not go down well with the Swiss at all. They had a hissy fit and closed the competitions down. They essentially went home taking their ball with them. When the observatory trials were started up again around fifteen years ago, the Swiss stipulated two things; no quartz and all parts must be made in Europe. So no chance the uppity Japanese or new tech would worry them again.

On topic; one of the new quartz movements that won prizes in prototype form was this.

543714.jpg

Longines UltraQuartz from 1970. It was actually the first Swiss quartz watch announced in August 69, eight months before the Swiss conglomerate effort(that Longines were also a part of) Beta 21 and and four months before the Seiko Astron. Seiko got more of their example to actual shops first so they win the first crown. All early quartz were essentially handmade from the ground up so were crazy expensive at first. The Seiko Astron famously cost the same as a family car from Toyota. Swiss efforts were actually cheaper, but not by much. The Longines was one of the "cheapest", but still six times the price of a Rolex Submariner. They only produced just over 1000 examples in two styles. Few survive today, far fewer again still working(Longines themselves don't have a working one). More an interesting horological piece than a watch.

I once had two, both NOS examples, but stupidly sold one off. Not for the cash aspect, but for the spares. Though I gather there are guys out there who can fix them so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@banie01 Love that Accutron - the Sled Driver's time piece.

Can't understand why they don't have more of a following than they do.

I much prefer them to the Spaceview, which I'm not that mad about at all.

Have you had anything done with, bar a battery and a strap?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,145 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Squale 60 Atmos "SqualeMatic"

This one was originally bought by a German in Italy, but doing the rounds on boards / adverts over the last year or two

Big watch, wears only a tad smaller than the James Cameron

543755.jpg

Review for anyone interested with some history on the company (von Büren / Squale) going back to the 40s for making diving watches and initially watch cases. They've made cases for lots of other companies too including Blancpain, Doxa, Zenith and Sinn!

Linky with review

• Registered Users Posts: 16,604 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lorddrakul wrote: »

Have you had anything done with, bar a battery and a strap?

Thanks LD.
    It's had a full service and refurb including a new coil.
    But other than the internals being swapped for NOS nothing at all done to it.
    I have the coffin link strap aswell, just need to source a teeny tiny headed spring bar for the clasp.

The current strap wears very comfortably on the watch and cost all of €15.

I was considering some other work but tbh the more I wear it the more I feel it's earned its age.
    I may swap the crystal at some stage(a job you suggested iirc), but no rush.

I've a squale cased Certina(totally bollexed mind you) somewhere about the place. Those cases are built like absolute tanks. One of the top diver cases ever IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of a Citizen Promaster Tough Titanium, the BN0118-04E, which I had recently purchased.

Since then, partially in order to keep myself occupied through lockdown, I've been trying to track down a few of the other, older variants of the Citizen "Ray Mears". This is the PMT56-2711 Perpetual Calender on a single pass Haveston Nato canvas strap. I really like the Haveston canvas straps, they're not too long, so no excessive folding, are the material is of a good quality and thickness.

nRP5LIe.jpg

Cassius99 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I posted a picture of a Citizen Promaster Tough Titanium, the BN0118-04E, which I had recently purchased.
    A mate of mine has one like yours :) and I agree the strap is very nice. Very nicely built watch. Feels like it could take a beating. Tough is right.
    Lorddrakul wrote: »

+1. I never really got the gra for the Spaceview tbh, and many if not most of them available are "fake", rather they're standard Accutrons, with the dial removed and new crystals fitted. Bulova themselves actually produced kits in the 60's so dealers could "spaceview" customer's watches. The Bulova Astronaut is a cracker. They've gained a fair bit in value over the last few years. I'd reckon outside of very rare original Spaceviews or 18kt gold examples they're about the dearest of the line.

Though I'd agree should have way more of a following. Like you say they were the choice of test pilots flying rocket planes and were actually issued by the CIA to SR-71 pilots. well technically and oh so anally :D the CIA's A-12 spy plane. Pilots had found that the mechanical watches they were wearing over their pressure suits had a tendency to give up the ghost, or go wildly inaccurate because of low pressures, G forces, electromagnetism and very high cabin temps in some phases of the flight, so they tried these and they worked flawlessly. These attributes meant that accutron movements were used extensively in aircraft, satellites, rockets and ICBM's for timing. The onboard timers on all the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo craft were accutrons. The one disadvantage they had was they didn't make a chronograph. So enter stage left Omega and the Speedie. How different the watch world might have been if they had a chrono... Interestingly one occasion where the Omega and Bulova interacted was after Apollo 11's LM landed on the moon. That was the turn for the accutron to gave up the ghost and that's why they left Armstrongs(IIRC) Speedie inside the lander as a backup.

After wearing my Longines oddball anachronism today, also a tuning fork(more like a feckin tuning hammer...) I "rested" it again and slapped on another Accutron buzzing homage.

543777.jpg
    PotatoCam(tm) set to sepia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

A watch I adore the styling of but haven't worn much recently. The Seiko SNKP23

IMG-20210216-100536.jpg

Cassius99 wrote: »

Since then, partially in order to keep myself occupied through lockdown, I've been trying to track down a few of the other, older variants of the Citizen "Ray Mears". This is the PMT56-2711 Perpetual Calender on a single pass Haveston Nato canvas strap. I really like the Haveston canvas straps, they're not too long, so no excessive folding, are the material is of a good quality and thickness.

Screenshot-20210216-105035-Instagram.jpg

Screenshot-20210216-105052-Instagram.jpg

I have the latest one too. It's my most worn watch since I bought it 2 years ago. Seriously under rated watch. Great size too at about 38mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

SBDC033 on the wrist today

fCBXs25l.jpg

SBGX063.

Testing my theory that nobody will notice the grubby shirt cuff...

MbWMFBz.jpg

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    SBGX063.

Testing my theory that nobody will notice the grubby shirt ]

First thing I noticed :P na that's a great looking piece

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

hitemfrank wrote: »
    A watch I adore the styling of but haven't worn much recently. The Seiko SNKP23..

Took me a while to work it out but it reminds me of a tag monaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Took me a while to work it out but it reminds me of a tag monaco.

Speaking of.
    70-D99-B1-E-E4-E1-4-F5-F-A9-AA-518337463-E6-B.jpg
    Feels like a changeover day but until a later decision this is it for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

Some new Straps for the Speedy arrived today!

543877.jpg

543878.jpg

Loving how good it looks on such different straps!

If someone could fix the pictures that would be much appreciated!

*igor voice* Yessss master... :D

It looks great on both, but bloody lovely in the dark blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,145 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Link to that navy leather strap? Looks beautiful!

unkel wrote: »
    Link to that navy leather strap? Looks beautiful!

Dont say that the stingray will get jealous.

• Advertisement

Not so keen on that green one. The other one looks good.

Advertisement