Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Wide Monitors

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have the 32" G7 coming from a AOC Agon 27" IPS panel and it's an upgrade for me. I wouldn't have stayed at 27" as would have seen that as a side step. Have no complaints with the purchase but i did get it for €500 on Black Friday so the price was right for me.

Yeah thats a great price, the 27" side step is probably correct too, cheers.

Do komplett still ship from ireland as in will i have to pay customs etc on this if i buy?

https://www.komplett.ie/samsung-odyssey-g7-c32g75tqsu-32/21003196/product

They are based in the Netherlands so probably not.

They are based in the Netherlands so probably not.

I emailed Komplett and eventually they got back saying ill have no customs to pay coming from the Netherlands?
    I havent been keeping up to sped on the whole post Brexit customs scenario.

You only get lashed with Customs from a non EU country so you are good to go. How much they selling it for?

You only get lashed with Customs from a non EU country so you are good to go. How much they selling it for?

€699

• Advertisement

Just spotted it on Ditech austria for €638 and they ship to ireland, never heard of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Hi lads

Looking for some advice on a monitor. I'm changing jobs in the next week and the new employer is only providing a laptop. I've been used to working with a dual monitor set up for the last number of years (currently have 2 x 24 Dell monitors).

I was thinking about just buying a single widescreen monitor. What size should I go for? 34 inch is what I was thinking.

To complicate things a little, I've giving serious consideration to building a PC for some gaming later this year (when the GFX card supply resolves) so would like the monitor to be suitable for gaming at 1440p.

Anyone got any recommendations? Ideally up to about €600 or so.

Cheers for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

SK1979 wrote: »
    Hi lads

Looking for some advice on a monitor. I'm changing jobs in the next week and the new employer is only providing a laptop. I've been used to working with a dual monitor set up for the last number of years (currently have 2 x 24 Dell monitors).

I was thinking about just buying a single widescreen monitor. What size should I go for? 34 inch is what I was thinking.

To complicate things a little, I've giving serious consideration to building a PC for some gaming later this year (when the GFX card supply resolves) so would like the monitor to be suitable for gaming at 1440p.

Anyone got any recommendations? Ideally up to about €600 or so.

Cheers for your help.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/XG32VQR-ASUS-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B07QHV16Q5/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=32%22+ASUS+ROG+Strix+XG32VQR&qid=1614324165&sr=8-3

ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQR €446.06 32 inch

I bought one from the UK just before Christmas for a New Pc I built for my Brother.
    I was impressed.

there is a 34 inch asus one too but the specs are not as good. €495.99
    I have not used this one my self
    https://www.amazon.de/-/en/ASUS-Essential-VP348QGL-Fsync-86-7cm/dp/B07W22DPP2/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=ASUS+34%22+UltraWide+Quad+HD+120Hz+G-SYNC+Curved+Gaming+Monitor&qid=1614326000&sr=8-4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Another lad looking for a new monitor here, I would like to clear my desktop space so are there any good monitors with decent speakers built in?
    Do people use the audio output from graphics cards these days or does it use up a lot of HDMI/DP bandwidth?

I have some Logitech Z200s which do me fine but they're only 5W ones so any built-in speakers that can match that would be fine.

I also want to mount it on an arm, getting a 27" 1440p display would probably be enough.

I currently have a AOC G2460P monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

All built in speakers are trash. It's not economical to build them into the monitor so most monitors don't have them. Better off getting separate speakers if you want them. If you're plugging the PC into a TV then sound over HDMI is fine. The latest cables have massive bandwidth numbers so even carrying 7.1 sound is no problem compared to high res, high refresh games/movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

BloodBath wrote: »
    All built in speakers are trash. It's not economical to build them into the monitor so most monitors don't have them. Better off getting separate speakers if you want them. If you're plugging the PC into a TV then sound over HDMI is fine. The latest cables have massive bandwidth numbers so even carrying 7.1 sound is no problem compared to high res, high refresh games/movies.
    Thanks, it seems like you can get speaker stands like in this guys setup, or I could mount them to the wall somehow:
    https://youtu.be/79JX4OmFBpE

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Howdy all, Looking to make a new monitor purchase and looking for some guidance. I am at a cross roads with do i stay at 1440p-144hz as it is perfectly fine and is what i am currently used to or while making an investment on a new monitor do i pay 200e - 400e more for a 4K and 144hz monitor given ill likely have it for 5-10 years.

4k or 1440p
    144hz (minimum)
    27"-32"

I am currently using a QNIX Q2710 1440p and have it OC at about 110hz. Been using it a good 6 years or so now and never given me trouble. Problem is that i want to start using the monitor for work as well and this particular model does not have any native HDMI or DP ports so looking for something a bit more mainstream.

Will be building a new PC in the next 3-4 months. GPU will most likely be a GTX 3070 if i can get my hands on one. Dont mind spending a bit if its for the right reasons but would welcome some input cheers!

With a 3070 I would say you are better off sticking with 1440p/144hz. It's pretty much an ideal card for that res and refresh.

It's a pretty big jump up to 4k/144hz. I wouldn't go near it without a top end card and even then it's not fully up to it. 4k/144hz monitors are still very pricey as well.

I recently changed from that same Qnix monitor and ended up getting 2 new ones. A 95hz and a 144hz 27" IPS panels. They both look much better in motion than the Qnix did. Overclocked Qnix response times are around 12ms with only around 70% SRGB colour range and the most problematic being DVI-D only connection which modern gpu's don't even have anymore.

A good modern 1440/144hz IPS panel will have response times around 4ms with 99%+ SRGB colour range and support for freesync and g-sync to eliminate tearing along with displayport 1.4 and hdmi 2.0 connections.

It's still a fairly big jump from a Qnix 2710.

BloodBath wrote: »
    With a 3070 I would say you are better off sticking with 1440p/144hz. It's pretty much an ideal card for that res and refresh.

It's a pretty big jump up to 4k/144hz. I wouldn't go near it without a top end card and even then it's not fully up to it. 4k/144hz monitors are still very pricey as well.

I recently changed from that same Qnix monitor and ended up getting 2 new ones. A 95hz and a 144hz 27" IPS panels. They both look much better in motion than the Qnix did. Overclocked Qnix response times are around 12ms with only around 70% SRGB colour range and the most problematic being DVI-D only connection which modern gpu's don't even have anymore.

A good modern 1440/144hz IPS panel will have response times around 4ms with 99%+ SRGB colour range and support for freesync and g-sync to eliminate tearing along with displayport 1.4 and hdmi 2.0 connections.

It's still a fairly big jump from a Qnix 2710.

Thanks for the reply and further information. Good to hear you made the move from the QNIX as well. Appreciate the insight on the Card and sweet spot for what it can achieve. Realistically ill prob be using that new card for another 5 years so could always look at 4k options when that refresh comes around.

What brand / models did you go with yourself? Im a fan of LG and been using their TV for years and noticed they have some good options in this space. Also been looking at the Asus options, Thinking about the below models if you had any thoughts:

LG 27GL83A-B
    LG 27GN850-B

ASUS TUF VG27AQ

ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q

Cheers

Went for an LG GN850 after giving up on waiting for the Dell s2721dgfa to get back in stock. Got a great deal on 1 in the black friday sale so it was a no brainer. It is a great monitor. Both of those are good. The Dell 1 uses the same panel as the gn-850 but is slightly better and can do 165hz but also rarely in stock.

The MSI MAG274QRF-QD is better again if you can find one. A different but significantly better panel with better contrast than the other 2 and 165hz refresh rate. Have a look at hardware unboxed youtube channel monitor reviews if you want more detailed information. They cover all 3 of those monitors and more.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7m5C6_P_lnXb9cHwdo0Ct1TTZ7KUwm3e

Should probably turn this into a general monitor advice thread mods.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looked around for the MSI but no joy. Was gonna contact Viking as they seem to stock their monitors but was expecting it to be north of 600e. Decided to go with the Dell S2721DGFA. Got it for 475e in the end.

Now to sit around the next few months and not build a new pc because no parts are available...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Anyone try one of the big big 49" ultrawide screens like the LG 49WL95C or Samsung LC49RG90?

I'm starting a new job and would like to get a better setup with a little help from the home office stipend offered by the new crowd. I like the idea of the ultrawide as I currently only have one decent monitor and a crappy little side one, and this way I could potentially use the UW as the main screen and decent monitor above it. I was looking at the LG initially because one issue I've had with my current set up for work is I've my home desktop and work laptop and have to physically swap wires constantly, whereas the LG has a picture in picture mode which seems pretty amazing.

Just to confirm, this is going to be used 99% of the time for work/productivity. If I game, it's usually point and click adventure :D Nothing too strenuous

But before all of that, I'm just wondering if these are even worth looking at? Appreciate the insights guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

RedXIV wrote: »
    Anyone try one of the big big 49" ultrawide screens like the LG 49WL95C or Samsung LC49RG90?

I'm starting a new job and would like to get a better setup with a little help from the home office stipend offered by the new crowd. I like the idea of the ultrawide as I currently only have one decent monitor and a crappy little side one, and this way I could potentially use the UW as the main screen and decent monitor above it. I was looking at the LG initially because one issue I've had with my current set up for work is I've my home desktop and work laptop and have to physically swap wires constantly, whereas the LG has a picture in picture mode which seems pretty amazing.

Just to confirm, this is going to be used 99% of the time for work/productivity. If I game, it's usually point and click adventure :D Nothing too strenuous

But before all of that, I'm just wondering if these are even worth looking at? Appreciate the insights guys!

I think they are worth it for work. If you combine the monitor with an app like PowerToys to 'split' the screen as you like, you can drop apps to whichever part of the screen you want.

Definitely worth it imo. Has to be one of the 5140 x 1440 monitors though. Do not buy a 1080p version.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Longshot - anyone around Dublin looking to get rid of their AW38 box? I'm moving house soon and packing this monster will be a pain. I'll come and collect it if anyone still has theirs knocking around and wants rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Did you get one of these in the end? Considering similar 49", primarily for work, but given you can't walk in somewhere and have a look its hard to judge the curve radius, and what would work best for stuff other than gaming. The 1000r seems like a very agressive curve, whereas the 2300+r maybe be too flat, when looking at the sides of the monitor.

Anybody using these for work?

• Advertisement

Yep, went for the Samsung after. I'm now ruined for life with amazing monitors. :D I'm only sitting maybe 2ft away from the screen because of limitations on the size of my desk and room but the curvature for that ( 1800) is perfect. I am constantly jumping between terminals, browsers and IDEs so having the real estate to do that on a single screen is incredible. I work on a mac so generally I've 3 browser windows side by side on one desktop and the other one is more focused on the code side of things. The monitor above the ultrawide is hooked up to my desktop so I usually just use it for something to keep me entertained during boring tasks (current enjoyment is the Olympic replays)

Genuinely dreading having to go back to single monitor for anything when we go back to the office. Ultrawide is amazing

Cheers for that! I took the plunge this morning and ordered seeing as it was down to £740. Still a lot, but have been looking at this option for a couple of years! Have to wait a delivery date estimate, even though it's showing as in stock!

One thing on that, I had to hound amazon for my one. I ordered in April and it didn't arrive until June. I was awaiting a shipping date right up until the week before. I recommend keeping tabs on the amazon page (if you're ordering with amazon) as every time there was a discount or drop in price, because I was still awaiting a shipping date, I'd cancel and reorder at the lower price. I spoke to several people in samsung and amazon and it was just a case of it not being there to ship to me, even though it was "in stock".

Still worth it, but just in case you're waiting a while, that happened to me too!

Cheers, will have plenty of time to take out a life insurance policy in the meantime so, as it may be needed on the delivery date when the huge box arrives! I got ordered an extra tall monitor arm pole, so hoping to stick the 34" above it, and will see about maybe getting a floor standing tv mount for the main screen, and put it behind the desk against the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I ordered the new Alienware QD-OLED this morning. It's due to arrive Wednesday the 30th.

Looking forward to testing her out.

Did anyone else pull the trigger?

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/alienware-34-curved-qd-oled-gaming-monitor-aw3423dw/apd/210-bdsz/monitors-monitor-accessories

Post edited by T-b0n3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I would've if I didn't already have the AW3821DW

Feels like I bought a year too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Took a chance with it, after holding off on an upgrade for a while now. ASUS PG348 has served me very well, but is starting to show its age, so looking forward to giving the PC a fresh look.

Showing for delivery this Thursday at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

let us know how it goes, throw up some pics if you can too

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheCrimsonClown

I got an order in. Was originally set to arrive Wednesday next week but shipped yesterday and according to Syncreon's tracking it'll arrive this Friday. However, there have been no tracking updates since it shipped so I'm skeptical. No idea where it's coming from. Has there been any movement on yours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Fingers crossed you get it before the weekend :)

Mine is still in "Confirmed" status. Would be great if it ships soon. Still showing Wed 30th as delivery date.

Advertisement