Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night time walker scares me. MOD NOTE IN OP - PLEASE READ BEFORE REPLYING

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Radiata Welcome to PI. As per the Charter, when replying to a thread in PI posters are asked to offer constructive and civil advice to an OP. Your post falls far short of that. Please bear it in mind when posting here again.

A reminder to everyone else, this is the second time I've reminded posters of this. If you have nothing constructive to offer the OP by way of advice, please move on to another thread.

Thanks

HS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

GarIT wrote: »
    Yes OP absolutely is. OP is one more jump to a conclusion away from being like the woman I knew who murdered a guy for parking in her spot, she was very similar to this. The best thing OP can do if he sees the person again is to ignore them, not to speak to them.

Why? Isn't that normal behaviour? Should OP reinforce his original antisocial (and I'd suggest this is at the very lowest end of the scale) behaviour? Or should he simply revert to normal social behaviour. I'm one of those people who always acknowledge eye contact with a nod or a "how's it going?" That's normal behaviour. Not skulking past people.

Or perhaps I'm odd, and need to see a doctor.

As for the potential for the OP to be a murderer like the woman you knew, do you really think that kind of comment is helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It's no harm to be aware of who's around.
    If the guy is just using the area for free parking or passing through from one place to another them he should have no issue with the op.

Past unpleasant experience will colour how you view things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Why? Isn't that normal behaviour? Should OP reinforce his original antisocial (and I'd suggest this is at the very lowest end of the scale) behaviour? Or should he simply revert to normal social behaviour. I'm one of those people who always acknowledge eye contact with a nod or a "how's it going?" That's normal behaviour. Not skulking past people.

Or perhaps I'm odd, and need to see a doctor.

As for the potential for the OP to be a murderer like the woman you knew, do you really think that kind of comment is helpful?

I don't think it's normal to say something to someone you are passing, a nod or a smile sure. Maybe that's normal in the countryside but not so much in an estate that would have an alleyway as OP described. Especially someone OP has confronted and possibly frightened already, better to keep his distance now rather than trying to be friendly.

I do think it's helpful, hopefully it will be a shock to OP and encourage them to get help and stop it getting to that point. The kind words so far haven't helped, OP doubled down on it. We don't all need to say nice things and put innocent people in danger to not hurt OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Op, your own insecurities could lead you to very negative consequences either legally oy physically. Chances are such behavior you are displaying could in fact be perceived as threatening and abnormal to the point where this person could either call the guards on you or potentially harm in you self defense if they believe you are a danger to them.

Your past experience are not pleasant however that does not mean someone who is likely very innocently parking for convenience is a threat to you, your home or your neighbors homes. If you have concerns you can call the guards and give the persons car registration and advise they are acting suspiciously and that is where you should leave it. Do not approach, admonish or question this person, you do not have the right to regardless of how uncomfortable it makes you feel.

If there is anything untoward, the guards with deal with it and if not you should be put at ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't think it's normal to say something to someone you are passing, a nod or a smile sure. Maybe that's normal in the countryside but not so much in an estate that would have an alleyway as OP described. Especially someone OP has confronted and possibly frightened already, better to keep his distance now rather than trying to be friendly.

I do think it's helpful, hopefully it will be a shock to OP and encourage them to get help and stop it getting to that point. The kind words so far haven't helped, OP doubled down on it. We don't all need to say nice things and put innocent people in danger to not hurt OP.

I live in a Dublin* suburb, and if I make eye contact while passing some one on the footpath its 50/50 as to who will be first to say hello, or how's it going. But it always happens.

This thread amazes me (and I'm not having a go at you here). The OP has gone from paranoid, to potential murderer to danger to the public. All based purely on the OP's reporting of an encounter with a person on the street. The worst he's guilty of is being a busybody. There's a couple on my road (and no, I'm not one of them), but sure they're harmless. None of them has murdered their wives/husbands and children yet.

The worst that'll happen to the OP, is that the local teenagers will spot him and make his life miserable by hanging round that laneway, waiting for a reaction. Unless he unfortunately actually confronts a REAL criminal, but that'd be a hard lesson for him.

I understand that you feel he needs tough talking to to snap him out of it, but really, I don't feel he is a danger to anyone but himself. But of course, all we have to go on is what we've read here, and we'll both have our own interpretations of that.

* Dublin being the friendliest part of Ireland:D

Advertisement