Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork City Marathon 2021

• 22-10-2020 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭

Some might say I'm tempting fate, but what the heck. I booked flights yesterday for what I hope is the marathon weekend.

Probably a bit early to be checking the weather though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Itziger wrote: »
    Some might say I'm tempting fate, but what the heck. I booked flights yesterday for what I hope is the marathon weekend.

Probably a bit early to be checking the weather though.

Government of Ireland have effectively said there will be rolling restrictions (lockdowns) in place until a vaccine is found as the health system will never have the capacity/resources to cope with Covid.

With that in mind this marathon has little chance of going ahead. Your best option for running next year will be in mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Government of Ireland have effectively said there will be rolling restrictions (lockdowns) in place until a vaccine is found as the health system will never have the capacity/resources to cope with Covid.

With that in mind this marathon has little chance of going ahead. Your best option for running next year will be in mainland Europe.

I think every chance of this going ahead. Multiple vaccines in play at this stage, I'd say we'll have one more lockdown in January and then we'll come out of it mid Feb, in parallel with vaccination of hospital staff, nursing home staff and vulnerable. By June there'll be no risk of pressure on the healthcare system so big events will go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

spc78 wrote: »
    I think every chance of this going ahead. Multiple vaccines in play at this stage, I'd say we'll have one more lockdown in January and then we'll come out of it mid Feb, in parallel with vaccination of hospital staff, nursing home staff and vulnerable. By June there'll be no risk of pressure on the healthcare system so big events will go ahead.

Vaccines wont be ready until 2022 at the earliest. Unfortunately you just have to look at all this stuff as glass half empty for the time being.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1027/1174213-eu-covid-vaccine/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

No surprise to get the email today that it's cancelled 'til Sunday 5 June 2022. There will be a virtual event for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Registered for the virtual last week. Really need to just get on with it and at least try and train for something. 2 months of training now and I'll see how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Registered for this last week. Really need to just get on with it and at least try and train for something. 2 months of training now and I'll see how I get on.

It's not on again until 2022. See post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

py wrote: »
    It's not on again until 2022. See post above.

Meant the virtual, updated my post for clarity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Probably will sign up for the virtual for first marathon and do a route that swings by the house a few times.

Need something to focus on, I have no problem getting out and putting the hard yards in when there is something to aim for. When there is nothing to aim for, it's easy to say why bother heading out!

Getting close, the mile markers were freshly painted this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I read there are 3000 entered in the marathon which represents double the 2019 entry.

Appreciate a lot of these entries will be rolled over from 2020/21 so likely a number of people who wont end up actually running, but still it sounds like a promising crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 mobitron

Just curious, will the Blackrock railway line be fully open again for the marathon? Or will the route be different this year? (I'm doing the half so doesn't apply to me, but interested to know).

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

First time doing this so what can I expect?! Seems there's a few hills towards the end to add to the challenge!

Good to see that there seems to be a healthy number of entrants from post above so should be some running company and a decent atmosphere.

The course is very flat overall. The hills towards the end are not bad at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Its a great course and a great time of year imho for a marathon.

Will be nice and warm but not hot.

Main considerations would be hills out of the tunnel early on and the drag up to blackrock village.

The old rail line and around by the river is a nice flat section. Also later in the race once you climb to model farm road there is a good flat section there and also on the long road as they call it back into county hall, nice last 8k to the race all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I was also wondering this. Last time I was home back in March it was closed for works around the Skehard Rd access.

This will be my first marathon too. I did the half back in 2019 and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thinking of running the half, not sure yet whether I'm in the shape for it but I'll decide in the next couple of weeks.

Pleased to see that there's pacemakers, the sub 1:30 is who I'd be following. Just wondering for those who've ran with pacemakers before, how big would the pacemaker chase pack be? And would it have significantly reduced towards the end of the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Unfortunately due to some issues recovering from covid, I have decided against running the Marathon. Now, I'm not offering my race number, I don't think I can do that, but I have two hotel reservations, for the Sat and Sun nights, one in the city center itself and one on the outskirts (6k away). I know from chatting to others that rooms are like hen's teeth, for that weekend. Now, again I don't know if the rooms will transfer, center hotel is €150 per night (2 sharing) and the other is €270 for the two nights. Both are done through booking.com so I'll be cancelling soon. DM me if anyone needs a room.

Well the official map is up on the web (https://corkcitymarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/UPDATED-FINAL-CCM-ROUTE-MAP-CMYK.pdf) and it shows the line being open. On Saturday it was open as far as the Skehard Road underpass, I guess it will be fully open on race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

Hi I'm just considering a last minute entry to the Half, where could I leave my baggage?.

Thanks

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Entry available for the Half Marathon due to injury. P.M. me if interested

Changing & bag drop are normally at City Hall, presume it will be the same this year.

https://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/race-day-arrangements/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Gonna be on the bike for a mate who's running the full. Any restrictions or parts that would be tricky to navigate on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Bikes used not be allowed on the course in previous years so I’m not sure about this year. I’d imagine the area from Blackrock Castle along by the water and following the footbridge and walkway as far as the Marina would be messy as narrow. Also, going through the relay changeover points will be very busy. There is also a very narrow path after the Mardyke where again a bike and runners could get messy. Can’t think of anywhere else right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

That's not terrible (12C-16C and no wind) but humidity could be a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Woudl anyone have any suggestions for parking close enough city centre/South Main St? Coming down Sat evening, staying til Monday but Q Park is over €50 for the weekend. On street is free from Sat evening onwards so easily could save a few bob!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I'd possibly try around Proby's Quay and Crosse's Green, lots of street parking around there and close.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Weather forecast seems to vary wildly depending on the source!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

My biggest issue now is where the hell I'm going to park, particularly with all the road closures/restrictions. Would q Park City Hall be feasible, particularly if trying to leave around 1pm? Will be arriving from the Macroom side.

Advertisement