Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open windows no coats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Schools need to adjust policy but I cant see how sitting in a coat is comfortable tbh. As the days are getting colder it would be worth investing in layers.
    Funny I cant get my kids to wear a coat. Both heading off in just polos and sweaters for school. Not a mention of being cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

jrosen wrote: »
    Schools need to adjust policy but I cant see how sitting in a coat is comfortable tbh. As the days are getting colder it would be worth investing in layers.
    Funny I cant get my kids to wear a coat. Both heading off in just polos and sweaters for school. Not a mention of being cold.

Yeah a coat doesnt make you happy so I dont mind if you hang it on the rack but it makes my son happy so I dont mind if he wears one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Ask them are the windows opened in their classroom.
    If not, id be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,984 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A kids base layer is bound to be the way to go...

https://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/Elverys/Boys/Clothing/Kids-Baselayer/Under-Armour®-Heatgear-Kids%27-Top%2C-Black/p/000000001090756003?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuL_8BRCXARIsAGiC51AwSzqB73A0b4ZJHz-k3HbR6_gdcyBhhqs4LgxbMGmQ4HajnO-3vaUaAvprEALw_wcB

This with leggings under trousers / skirt should be the ticket..

I have this exact snood, quality, warm as fûck, big too so with a hat the whole of your head, stays warm..

61fC29EGdlL._AC_UY445_.jpg

1a460159a6984806c90ec88b33f71ad9_350x350.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Absolutely, base layers and removable layers is the way to go now. Feck the uniform policy we are in different times now.

When I go walking in the Wicklow Way it is multiple layers that can be donned or doffed as the hike goes on. Kids will be fine. Too much heat is not good for you anyway, makes you sleepy especially with 30 others in the classroom.

Hope the teachers will do the same.

I’d rip a school principal a new one quite literally if they started refusing to allow for compromise and allow the options of winter clothing in class,...

I’d be suggesting the parents get in a huddle, the parents council whatever lead the charge, get a whip around and contact a solicitor, have them contact the school, department of education by letter, threatening legal action if the classroom compromise can’t be reached...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Absolutely, base layers and removable layers is the way to go now. Feck the uniform policy we are in different times now.

When I go walking in the Wicklow Way it is multiple layers that can be donned or doffed as the hike goes on. Kids will be fine. Too much heat is not good for you anyway, makes you sleepy especially with 30 others in the classroom.

Hope the teachers will do the same.

Whats hilarious is I know of one school that spent nearly seven years banning the unofficial school fleece jacket. So far as to get the manufacturer to stop producing them. Now the school is filled with them and not a word said! :pac:

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Whats hilarious is I know of one school that spent nearly seven years banning the unofficial school fleece jacket. So far as to get the manufacturer to stop producing them. Now the school is filled with them and not a word said! :pac:

Mad stuff, but money talks and bullsht walks as they say.

Some common sense has to come into this right now.

Mad stuff, but money talks and bullsht walks as they say.

Some common sense has to come into this right now.

Sure I felt like a member of the IRA outside the other day during break supervision. Black facemak, black sunglasses, black jacket, black hat on me. All I needed to do was speak in a northern accent and I was set! :pac::D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I'd break the shop up if a teacher tried to tell my kid to remove a coat.

They must have a domineering fetish. What kind of pervert enjoys controlling children. Christ.
    In most of the rest of Europe you call your teacher in secondary and primary by first name.
    It's still sir, miss, Mr Mrs here. Christ.

I'd break the shop up if a teacher tried to tell my kid to remove a coat.

They must have a domineering fetish. What kind of pervert enjoys controlling children. Christ.
    In most of the rest of Europe you call your teacher in secondary and primary by first name.
    It's still sir, miss, Mr Mrs here. Christ.

Most teachers nowadays would be reasonable I’d imagine. I’d say most of the proper little domineering psychos are gone, at least I think and I’m told...

The HSA say..

“In cases where it is difficult to maintain an adequate overall temperature, it may be necessary to provide effective local heating, protective clothing or cooling at individual workstations.”

If that applies to teachers it sure as fûck applies to students.

Reg 7, page 8..

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/General_Application_Regulations/gen_apps_workplace.pdf

Country be gone mad. Be great if the teachers went in to bat for kids AND themselves on this.

Strumms wrote: »
    Be great if the teachers went in to bat for kids AND themselves on this.

There's two chances of that ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

That is child abuse full stop. Leaving all the windows open and then not allowing them put on coats. The school would be at fault if one of them children catches hypothermia.

GT89 wrote: »
    That is child abuse full stop. Leaving all the windows open and then not allowing them put on coats. The school would be at fault if one of them children catches hypothermia.

Kids can't get sick in schools. That would be a community transmission.

All Eyes On Rafah

There's two chances of that ...

That would be my thought too but if it furthered their own cause. I could see it happening.

GT89 wrote: »

Also, imagine the number of kids with certain underlying conditions. It IS child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Apparently a load of children got wind of this thread since I went to bed last night.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Our school has very good so far and there has been no nonsense.

However if my kids are cold they will wear weather-appropriate clothes. If the window is open, they are outdoors. They will wear hats, scarves and gloves if needed. I will go to war over this.

However like I said we’ve been lucky so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Oink wrote: »
    Our school has very good so far and there has been no nonsense.

However if my kids are cold they will wear weather-appropriate clothes. If the window is open, they are outdoors. They will wear hats, scarves and gloves if needed. I will go to war over this.

However like I said we’ve been lucky so far.

This sort of reply gets my goat - There is no need to go to war - a simple conversation can do wonders.
    No one wants to be cold including teachers. Re coats they can be bulky and uncomfortable for long periods particularly while writing or any activity that includes repetitive hand movements. Thermal vests / pants are great. You can get heat sensitive ones in dunnes / marks which are light weight but warm. Hats are also a good option.

• Advertisement

RealJohn wrote: »
    Apparently a load of children got wind of this thread since I went to bed last night.

Having read over the thread I agree with you - I also find the fixation on coats hilarious - they can be extremely uncomfortable to wear all day particularly for certain activities. Thermals and a hat or fleece are by far more comfortable than a coat and just as effective.

People are suggesting layers. Layers are incompatible with uniforms since the trousers, shirt and crested jumper have to be visible.

The layers would have to be worn underneath.

In order to add or remove layers you'd have to take off your entire uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think good quality socks would be a good idea. I find the usual black school socks can be very thin and lack any warmth. Also non bulky fingerless gloves and a hat if they are allowed wear them. I reckon you'd be fairly toasty if you had those items on regardless of layers or bulky coats.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

lulublue22 wrote: »
    This sort of reply gets my goat - There is no need to go to war - a simple conversation can do wonders.
    No one wants to be cold including teachers. Re coats they can be bulky and uncomfortable for long periods particularly while writing or any activity that includes repetitive hand movements. Thermal vests / pants are great. You can get heat sensitive ones in dunnes / marks which are light weight but warm. Hats are also a good option.

Point taken. That was a lazy way of saying I would get it sorted, but I would first assume that the school would be reasonable (hypothetically, since our current school is great anyway).

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think good quality socks would be a good idea. I find the usual black school socks can be very thin and lack any warmth. Also non bulky fingerless gloves and a hat if they are allowed wear them. I reckon you'd be fairly toasty if you had those items on regardless of layers or bulky coats.

Most teachers wouldn't allow fingerless gloves.
    Not part of uniform.

Most teachers wouldn't allow fingerless gloves.
    Not part of uniform.[/quote

I find most teachers are reasonable and understand that children may be cold due to windows being open. Thermals / skins can be worn under uniform no problem hats and fingerless gloves are also good ideas as is the thermal socks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The drama out of some people. It’s really simple, there are numerous shops that sell all sorts of base layers and or thermal under layers. Get your kid a vest, long sleeved and good socks. Even some sort of body warmer jacket would be easily worn over the uniform. Available from penny’s to branded.

Simple email/note or call to the school will suffice.
    I seriously doubt any teacher would deny a child the opportunity to be warm once the weather turns.

Even before Covid (going back to my secondary years, I left in 2008).

Kids would be asked to remove gloves. Poor circulation? Tough.
    Is there any logical reason for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Even before Covid (going back to my secondary years, I left in 2008).

Kids would be asked to remove gloves. Poor circulation? Tough.
    Is there any logical reason for that?
    I'm not sure an anonymous forum of school teachers on boards in 2020 is quite the right place for you to get to the end of this horrendous treatment at the hands policy makers in your own school over 12 years ago.

Could I suggest maybe that you contact your alma mater to discuss their policies, and the resolution you require.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Why do so many of these posters think that it's teachers who decide what students may or may not wear? Are they not aware that uniform policy and rules are decided by the school management not the teachers?

Advertisement