Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do people go for test drives in cars they have no chance of buying?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I did the opposite... bought a 14 month old E Estate Premium Plus.

Called to dealer knowing what I wanted. Ordered it (had to come from UK) and left deposit. It arrived so went for a look (waiting to be regged) and offered to let me drive it around the yard. Didn't bother, what was the point... i'd it bought. Sat in the driver seat for a minute and headed off.

Said himself it was the easiest sale he'd ever made.... about 18 months on and no regrets, love it.

Did lots of research about bringing in from UK myself. Inc. ferries / flights / over-night I would have saved approx. €900 - €1000.... wasn't worth the time off work / travel etc.

Interested to know what dealer it was. Most dealers I've seen will stand and look for 3 to 4k more than going importing yourself. Naturally garages should charge abit more for the convenience of it and 1000e is reasonable I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭User1998

Don’t forget the whole point of a business is to make profit. You think €1,000 profit on a 1 year old E Class is ‘reasonable’? Take away tax, wages, rent etc and they are left with nothing. €3k-€4k sounds more ‘reasonable’ to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

bs2014 wrote: »
    Interested to know what dealer it was. Most dealers I've seen will stand and look for 3 to 4k more than going importing yourself. Naturally garages should charge abit more for the convenience of it and 1000e is reasonable I think.

There is no such thing as 'reasonable'. They are a business, so can sell the car at a market rate. If the difference in that market rate and what the the car costs them means they make 1000e on the car or 4000e then that is what they'll aim for - they're not doing this just to get by on a minimum or fair amount.

As above, bear in mind that any money they make has to absorb overheads, wages, VAT/Tax, and also - in most cases - warranty costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

My point is the person roughly paid about €1000 more than if went to a UK dealer and bought off them at retail and shipped it back himself.

Baring in mind that dealer was able to buy at a UK trade prices and not retail and will cost him cheaper to ship to Ireland.

Yes it is a marketplace but personally I cant justify paying 3 to 4k more for a UK import off an Irish dealer than I would exact same car if I went to a UK dealer.

Advertisement