Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractor upgrade

Options
  • 21-10-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Lads and ladies

In the market for a new donkey to replace my mf565 that I've had for the last 15 years. A lot of small issues have added up to be a big pain!
    Don't need it to do an awful lot, a bit of topping, shaking, spraying, and throwing out about 30 round bales. Along with a bit of transport box work around the house, hence why I've been slow enough to splash out!
    My own yoke would be grand if it was in better shape but when im spending the €€€s i want to make sure I get a machine that'll last me.
    I was wondering whats peoples opinions were on an Ursus Mercury 475?
    I was hoping to get something like a mf 365 but I imagine they're very overpriced for what they are?
    Ideally I would like to keep it around the 10k mark.
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Hillman86 wrote: »
    Lads and ladies

In the market for a new donkey to replace my mf565 that I've had for the last 15 years. A lot of small issues have added up to be a big pain!
    Don't need it to do an awful lot, a bit of topping, shaking, spraying, and throwing out about 30 round bales. Along with a bit of transport box work around the house, hence why I've been slow enough to splash out!
    My own yoke would be grand if it was in better shape but when im spending the €€€s i want to make sure I get a machine that'll last me.
    I was wondering whats peoples opinions were on an Ursus Mercury 475?
    I was hoping to get something like a mf 365 but I imagine they're very overpriced for what they are?
    Ideally I would like to keep it around the 10k mark.
    Thoughts?

What about something like this:

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26282050

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

that ursus 475 is very similar tractor as a 390.Around here anyway the rust seem to attack the cabs but I would say if you got one that was minded you could not go wrong.For 10k if you kept a lookout on donedeal you would pick up a 2wd 390 ,The thing is the 390 will never depreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Sami23

mayota wrote: »
    What about something like this:

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26282050

Very tidy looking yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭White Clover

cute geoge wrote: »
    that ursus 475 is very similar tractor as a 390.Around here anyway the rust seem to attack the cabs but I would say if you got one that was minded you could not go wrong.For 10k if you kept a lookout on donedeal you would pick up a 2wd 390 ,The thing is the 390 will never depreciate

Similar to a 390 is flattering the Ursus a little bit!
    The Ursus 475 is a copy of a Massey 275. Perkins 4.236 engine in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Similar to a 390 is flattering the Ursus a little bit!
    The Ursus 475 is a copy of a Massey 275. Perkins 4.236 engine in them.

But the rusty cab bit is on the button. I closed the door on mine earlier this year and it reopened and the section of the cab holding the door catch fell out:pac:

I must look for a replacement cab over the winter as I have to remove it to do a bit of work on the 3 point linkage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Sami23 wrote: »
    Very tidy looking yoke

Gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Stick with a Massey....€10,000 will get you a very good example of a 265 or 290. Either one would be more than good enough for your needs. If you are not in a hurry, and willing to look, you'd probably get a good 365 within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Robson99

cute geoge wrote: »

Won't get much of a 390 for 10k. Looking at 15k for anything decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EvanFahy

Got a lovely Massey Ferguson 362 2WD in August lovely tractor, bit pricey but she will hold her value if I ever decide to sell her again. Tis like new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

just wondering why are older masseys like the 290 or 390 making so much money when you could get a more powerful newer tractor with better comfort for a little extra https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-6270/26243778 or even newer same or lamborghinis cheaper. Genuine question is it just reliability or it it something else. the only massy I drove was a 165 and I wouldn't call it comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Know one or two friends that have masseys from around 98 onwards and they've had issues with them. Think there was something about them not being as good when the factory closed in england and moved to france.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭amacca

Know one or two friends that have masseys from around 98 onwards and they've had issues with them. Think there was something about them not being as good when the factory closed in england and moved to france.

Used to be assembled in coventry I think.........we have a 135 well over 50 years old.....now cab is bolloxed and lift could do with a bit of tlc but its still running like clockwork with nothing but a basic service every year..........

I suppose you coukd its not exactly ergonomic in the cab or anything and it wont run a fusion etc but it never let us down despite it getting dogs abuse in a way. Fabulous tractor....pressed into service many a times to get us out of a hole when a newer supposedly better tractor had some problem...did used to squate bale hay with one back in the 80s

They dont make them like that anymore because if they did they wouldnt be profitable.

Contrast that with a beauvais 5455 .....not the worst weve had by any means, lovely yard tractor etc but nothing like the tanks massey used to be imo.........spent summer before last chasing electrical fault ...every ****ing wire white (with a tiny number sequence on it) definitely not designed with home mechanic in mind:D

Have thought about buying a 135 myself. Anything mechanically wise to look out or be wary of ? Anything really expensive to go on them ?

Yes I suppose i have often heard that old saying that the best tractor is the one that starts in the morning when you need it. have to change myself have a case 5150 with breaks and oil pump gone getting rusty and rough too wondering if its worth trowing money into or just get rid of as is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭20silkcut

390 in my opinion is a an over rated tractor. They looked smart but were light enough and soft enough they were never a real work horse or never really a staple of the contracting business. They were well minded and more used for tipping around. Not many of them lasted as a main tractor on farms too far into the 2000’s. Their heyday was short enough in comparison to other tractors like the 165.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭amacca

Have thought about buying a 135 myself. Anything mechanically wise to look out or be wary of ? Anything really expensive to go on them ?

Think clutch plates can seize solid if left sitting, that means it would have to be split I think unless you want to persevere for a couple of months trying to disengage it using pedal/lever. Make sure lift is working etc ...the usual stuff you would look for with an engine...no excessive smoke, check oil for metal filings, discoloration, check radiator for leaks, look for wear in where front axel attached, check pto ....they have a ground speed one on them as well ...none of these a deal breaker but everything costs money to fix etc so issues need to be reflected in price.

There are better lads on here than me with much more specific knowledge.....the reason im not giving you a laundry list is our one genuinely caused no trouble/didnt break/require any major fixing..theres almost nothing else i can think of around here like that except maybe mora knives and old sony tvs:D

But I presume you can still get a lemon or one thats been completely neglected or abused.

Also if you are going to do work in them.they are a mechanical tractor....theres not one iota of comfort in the cab compared to a modern tractor...no shuttle, gears changed via gear lever ....sometimes with force while standing on clutch, they are not a machine you could spend a day working i without emerging tired etc...no creature comforts etc so make sure its what tou want and its actually of use to you beyond a monthly tractor run.....eg we put a rotovator on it and use it for littke veg garden, used it as a last resort once to push a bit of silage into feed passage, tow a trailer after it when chopping wood, maybe throw out a bit of fertilser on a small padd9cks using small spinner etc.....nothing too hectice etc

amacca wrote: »
    Think clutch plates can seize solid if left sitting, that means it would have to be split I think unless you want to persevere for a couple of months trying to disengage it using pedal/lever. Make sure lift is working etc ...the usual stuff you would look for with an engine...no excessive smoke, check oil for metal filings, discoloration, check radiator for leaks, look for wear in where front axel attached, check pto ....they have a ground speed one on them as well ...none of these a deal breaker but everything costs money to fix etc so issues need to be reflected in price.

There are better lads on here than me with much more specific knowledge.....the reason im not giving you a laundry list is our one genuinely caused no trouble/didnt break/require any major fixing..theres almost nothing else i can think of around here like that except maybe mora knives and old sony tvs:D

But I presume you can still get a lemon or one thats been completely neglected or abused.

Fair enough. I see some of them making big money. Im just be wary of buying something that's been re sprayed to look brilliant , when it might be covering something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

It can be cheap in the long run to get a mechanic or tractor savvy person to look before you part with cash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Dunedin

djmc wrote: »
    just wondering why are older masseys like the 290 or 390 making so much money when you could get a more powerful newer tractor with better comfort for a little extra https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-6270/26243778 or even newer same or lamborghinis cheaper. Genuine question is it just reliability or it it something else. the only massy I drove was a 165 and I wouldn't call it comfortable

When you find the answer to that one, please share with me as I’ve wondered that for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Bought something similar few years ago. Been faultless. Just be careful around the bigger model masseys. 6200s generally well regarded but 6100s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Yes I suppose i have often heard that old saying that the best tractor is the one that starts in the morning when you need it. have to change myself have a case 5150 with breaks and oil pump gone getting rusty and rough too wondering if its worth trowing money into or just get rid of as is

Is it a Pro?

Some consider the 5.9 Cummins the best engine ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

amacca wrote: »
    Used to be assembled in coventry I think.........we have a 135 well over 50 years old.....now cab is bolloxed and lift could do with a bit of tlc but its still running like clockwork with nothing but a basic service every year..........

I suppose you coukd its not exactly ergonomic in the cab or anything and it wont run a fusion etc but it never let us down despite it getting dogs abuse in a way. Fabulous tractor....pressed into service many a times to get us out of a hole when a newer supposedly better tractor had some problem...did used to squate bale hay with one back in the 80s

They dont make them like that anymore because if they did they wouldnt be profitable.

Contrast that with a beauvais 5455 .....not the worst weve had by any means, lovely yard tractor etc but nothing like the tanks massey used to be imo.........spent summer before last chasing electrical fault ...every ****ing wire white (with a tiny number sequence on it) definitely not designed with home mechanic in mind:D

We have a 133. Was bought new all those years ago. Excellent machine.

Is it a Pro?

Some consider the 5.9 Cummins the best engine ever produced.

I think it is a pro its 97 one gear lever and one push lever for gears. needs a bit of work the oil pump and brakes for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think it is a pro its 97 one gear lever and one push lever for gears. needs a bit of work the oil pump and brakes for starters

I know a lad that has a MX110 it much the same tractor but a bit more electrics. It has the Cummings engine in it. It has 20 k hours on it.engine is ticking over like a little bird. It was contracting for years it other things that give problems. Still a good tractor though it a bit big for yard work

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

More than likely a pro at that era.

Reliability reached its peak in those machines.

The brakes and hydraulic pump may be related issues if the brake discs have broken down.

More than likely a pro at that era.

Reliability reached its peak in those machines.

The brakes and hydraulic pump may be related issues if the brake discs have broken down.

What's the full model number of what tractor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

20silkcut wrote: »
    390 in my opinion is a an over rated tractor. They looked smart but were light enough and soft enough they were never a real work horse or never really a staple of the contracting business. They were well minded and more used for tipping around. Not many of them lasted as a main tractor on farms too far into the 2000’s. Their heyday was short enough in comparison to other tractors like the 165.

Loads of them still main tractors on farms and we are 20 years into the 2000's. They weren't designed or marketed as a contractors tractor so hardly surprising they weren't popular with them.

Our 390T has been the main workhorse here for over 20 years, I'd say it's far from overrated but is exactly what's needed here with a small footprint and low profile suits our tight low roofed yard but also has the power to do any task we need from baling to agitating. True we had a 165 and a 185 for longer but the same level of work was not asked of a tractor back then when all implements were about half the size.

We've a 135 here over 40 years too in near perfect condition but not because it's a better tractor, it's just it's never been overworked and has about a quarter of the hours of the bigger newer tractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

There is massive hours on the tractor in that link so not really cheap for a machine that has been driven to death. A 390 with similar hours would sell for half that money. Might be some advertised for similar money on DoneDeal but are they selling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭josephsoap

emaherx wrote: »
    Loads of them still main tractors on farms and we are 20 years into the 2000's. They weren't designed or marketed as a contractors tractor so hardly surprising they weren't popular with them.

Our 390T has been the main workhorse here for over 20 years, I'd say it's far from overrated but is exactly what's needed here with a small footprint and low profile suits our tight low roofed yard but also has the power to do any task we need from baling to agitating. True we had a 165 and a 185 for longer but the same level of work was not asked of a tractor back then when all implements were about half the size.

We've a 135 here over 40 years too in near perfect condition but not because it's a better tractor, it's just it's never been overworked and has about a quarter of the hours of the bigger newer tractors.

Do you think you will ever get rid of your 390T/upgrade it ?

Advertisement