Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog costs

Options
13»

Comments

Can spend as much as ya like but on the essentials a tenner a week probably covers it for me. I have a small terrier and the vet is under 50 quid a year, food is a couple of quid a week (because I give her plenty of people scraps). Got a free 12kg bag of top quality food there and it'll probably last her til it goes off. Toys are maybe a fiver a month (she loves hiding balls in the park) and groomer is 30 quid 3/4 times a year.

However you need to budget for the breed and for emergencies. I didn't get pet insurance because it was stupid money for the situation, she'd have to get hit by a car every couple of years for it to be worthwhile but for larger breeds and those with known issues it's likely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

As I said earlier in the thread, dog had another vet visit earlier today, 8 days of steroids ( steroids I already had anyway).

Spoke with her about Acoquel and vet said it is not a guarantee it would work either.
    I asked about the price, and its 118 a month due to his size, and the first month would have to be a double dose.

If the reaction starts again in march (if the scenario keeps repeating itself) it might be something to consider, but he is 8 years old tomorrow........yes, I knew the day he was born. :D

Happy Birthday to him and his ears !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I would second the earlier suggestion by Antares to forego pet insurance and instead put by some money if you can...€10-€20 per week in the credit union maybe. I had two dogs insured ( lost one last year to cancer) and while the insurance companies are delighted to take your money, it’s very hard (in my experience) to get them to pay out.....you really need to read the small print.
    It’s one thing when the dogs are young and healthy...but then as they get older, the level of payments towards vets fees etc diminishes by a percentage each year.
    Regarding food, be very careful what you feed...I had opted for a vet recommended kibble, not the cheap stuff and lauded as being top notch....but the dog in question still had to have his teeth scraped a few times. And looking back now, I don’t know if dried food was the best choice.
    I now feed mainly RAW food to my remaining dog...and is thriving on it.
    For a ten year old he is in great shape, no smelly breath, great coat and much calmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I would second the earlier suggestion by Antares to forego pet insurance and instead put by some money if you can...€10-€20 per week in the credit union maybe. I had two dogs insured ( lost one last year to cancer) and while the insurance companies are delighted to take your money, it’s very hard (in my experience) to get them to pay out.....you really need to read the small print.
    It’s one thing when the dogs are young and healthy...but then as they get older, the level of payments towards vets fees etc diminishes by a percentage each year.

This hasn't been my experience at all with Allianz. Last time I added up what insurance has paid out it was close to 15k for my 11 year old. Once he turned 7 I had to pay 35% - this has stayed the same since. My premium has increased by €10-20 at renewal and some years not at all. The vets take care of the paper work and I can do direct claim with the vets also. So for example when he needed cruciate surgery in Jan at a cost of €2400 I paid the 35% and the vet claimed the rest. My girls bills were thousands last year and I only paid €100. Depending on what happens to your dog and where it's being treated eg at a referral hospital your option is pay thousands up front or direct claim with insurance with pre-approval so insurance will always be a must for me.

tk123 wrote: »
    This hasn't been my experience at all with Allianz. Last time I added up what insurance has paid out it was close to 15k for my 11 year old. Once he turned 7 I had to pay 35% - this has stayed the same since. My premium has increased by €10-20 at renewal and some years not at all. The vets take care of the paper work and I can do direct claim with the vets also. So for example when he needed cruciate surgery in Jan at a cost of €2400 I paid the 35% and the vet claimed the rest. My girls bills were thousands last year and I only paid €100. Depending on what happens to your dog and where it's being treated eg at a referral hospital your option is pay thousands up front or direct claim with insurance with pre-approval so insurance will always be a must for me.

Works for you ( I’m not with Allianz) my premium increased last year by over 30%...and they couldn’t even give me a reason, other than “increased vet fees and market forces” . I pointed out that my vet hadn’t increased prices, and I told pretty much to pay up or piss off. After that all my queries were ignored....

Anyd you’ve just frightened the Jebus out of me as my fella is currently undergoing treatment for cruciate ligament which may require surgery...let’s see what they contribute to that.

Anyway ...I’m of topic so I’ll leave it there.

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    My pedigrees have out lived all my cross breeds. One cross PTS at 4 years due to heart failure, another dying at the moment of cancer. So this is certainly not always the case.

The inbreeding is not anything like inexperienced people think it is. We have very strict criteria to abide by & we do lots of health testing.

Just as a matter of interest, when you say crossbreed do you mean “accidental crossbreed” as in a random act, or purposeful crossbreed such as Cockapoos etc ? From what I have seen of purposely cross breeding you can end up with some of the worst elements in both breeds.

And unfortunately not all breeders adhere to strict criteria and health checks.

I’ve had dogs all types, full bred, pedigree and unknown breeds...and in my experience the pedigrees had the most problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, when you say crossbreed do you mean “accidental crossbreed” as in a random act, or purposeful crossbreed such as Cockapoos etc ? From what I have seen of purposely cross breeding you can end up with some of the worst elements in both breeds.

And unfortunately not all breeders adhere to strict criteria and health checks.

I’ve had dogs all types, full bred, pedigree and unknown breeds...and in my experience the pedigrees had the most problems.

These were all random cross breeds. I would never in a million years support the purposeful cross breeding.

But we love our crosses as much as we love our pedigree show dogs who have all necessary health testing done.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

most dogs are good dogs and the rescues give 1000 % back

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Sorry if this is the wrong place as just saw the dog costs heading.

Looking for recommendations or pro's and cons regarding PET INSURANCE.. We have a 10 month old border collie and have had all the vaccinations and checks e.t.c ...Would like to hear feedback and if any one Company better or general feedback on PET INSURANCE ..

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Allianz are the best!

• Advertisement

most dogs are good dogs and the rescues give 1000 % back

Dogs that are not rescues also give 1000% back!

From experience of having both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Absolutely go with Allianz and agree all dogs give back 100000000% once they have dedicated and loving owners and a good home x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

We have a Border Terrier, we feed him Simpsons dry food with plenty of scraps fish, meat, rice and veg so the dry food last months as its mostly scraps. I groom him myself every 4 or 5 months hand strip. They are a hardy breed so don't bother with insurance. He's well exercised and not over fed so that keeps him healthy. A lot of the time the expense comes from the owner unnecessarily spending money. So our dog costs us approx one 12k bag of dry for (Simpsons) €35 every 4 or so months.

We have a Border Terrier, we feed him Simpsons dry food with plenty of scraps fish, meat, rice and veg so the dry food last months as its mostly scraps. I groom him myself every 4 or 5 months hand strip. They are a hardy breed so don't bother with insurance. He's well exercised and not over fed so that keeps him healthy. A lot of the time the expense comes from the owner unnecessarily spending money. So our dog costs us approx one 12k bag of dry for (Simpsons) €35 every 4 or so months.

I have 4 of them. They would literally eat anything & make Labradors seem fussy. The key to keeping them healthy is indeed watching their weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

@exador

Allianz is the best in terms of claiming without hassle and it helps that most vets prefer dealing with them above the other pet insurers. I know it seams ridiculous, but if you are involved in any sporting agility, which you should look into with a border collie, they tend to dominate in fly ball & love it from what I can see & hear :) they do get injured from time to time and the treatment can be expensive.

Our Pom loves her agility & non competitive fly ball, but often gets issues with her dew claw pads tearing and a couple of times required serious sutures. We now use little neoprene guards to prevent the injury, but still it’s worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

@exador,

+1 for Allianz, I 'm a failed forster,:rolleyes: and had not insured my last lovely boy, in his 13 years thankfully never needed a lot of vet care, and I had set up a savings account for any vet treatment.

But this chap I felt due to his size and weird cross breed , would need insurance.

So far they have covered his Immunotherapy ( very bad ears and skin issues) also had cruciate ligament surgery (TPLO) seven weeks ago. Vets made the claim's, I only had to pay €100 access.
    So for me to insure him was a life saver.

Advertisement