Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

As my father said. You'll get years like that. There's nothing you can do to control a situation like that. It's onto the next job and onto the next job. That's all you can do or else the whole place falls down. I'm long enough at it to not get worked up over it. But it does put a damper on things. A crappy start to the year. But also know things could be a lot worse. It is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭DBK1

You’re lucky it’s not an 800 series or you’d be waiting in a whole new engine, not just the ad blue pump!

3 of them lined up in the local Fendt dealers here waiting on new engines to be fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See Saoirse Ruane died aged 12, she was on the toy show. Cancer sucks.

The dangers political parties pose to farmers on the ground when they try to appease a clueless airyfairy political party, all to prevent Sinn Fein from coming into government. The farmers suffer from the bullsh1ttery from the political bargaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TL17

Hoping to try make better earlier silage this year. But lot of grassy patches built up already due to mild winter. Its going be hard to graze now. Would topping help if few dry days came or would the cut grass stay on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭White Clover

That is something that is very common all over the country. Did you ever consider getting in sheep to graze off that grass over winter? It would suit lots of sheep farmers to get grazing until 1st February and you would have a clean field to make superior silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A vet in the practice I use, was originally a vet nurse. She then went to Poland and trained as a vet. So the option is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I find students aren’t well advised in school on career options, like UK colleges, back door routes and even what the course is, No more than in our day. The costs of 3rd level are allot for families without the wrong course selected. Ok rant over

When they're making subject choices for leaving cert most of them haven't a clue what career path they want. Then there's the fact that they mightnt get the subjects they opted for . We did the subject choices here last week for 5th year for youngest lad. Apart from being a footballer he hasn't a clue what he wants to do. They're very young for making such big choices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have to say that wouldn't be my experience at all. My young lady is doing subject choice for fifth year and has had options in the UK and NI highlighted to her. The school locally here is huge so there are massive subject choice options available. Not getting your choices almost never happens.

I actually agree with whelan on this. 16 is way too young to know what career you want to be in at 50. I am mid 40s and am still not sure what I want to be when I grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Water John

For many, a third level degree course is the base level. It really should be broad, around the areas of interest to the person.

Some, have a fair idea of what they want. When they get there, they will often change and learn new skills.

Others, should pursue other types of learning, outside of academic third level college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The whole 3rd level system is big business with numbers increasing year on year. There's no rush on anyone to go to college, a young person might be better off going working for a while, travel a bit, and getting a feel for the world, than jumping into something that they're not sure of. It's a dodgy enough environment anyway, in many ways, lots of drop outs, alcohol issues and a report last year found that c. 30% (iirc) of female students get sexually assaulted in university.

If there's a good cover on it, I'd bale silage off it in April when the weather dries up and go again.

It might be a coincidence but there was never TB much around here til this winter They started vaccinating the badgers with the last year or two, now there's three herds around me locked up.

It's been said time and again that the main species barrier to TB eradication over the last 60 years has two legs, not four.

There was never much TB in this area either. It was a two leg old timer with unpalatable fish though that did the work.

If we could have cloned him and kept the authorities informed of cause and effect then it'd be gone.

There's a clip somewhere recently I was supposed to watch of some expert or other going on about TB and vitamin D.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Education is business, as one 3rd-level lecturer told me.

The colleges/universities get a certain amount of funding per student from central Govt. They are essentially incentivised to take in as many 17 and 18-year-olds as they can, no matter whether those youngsters are able for a course or not.

I'm hoping transition year will give our young lads some idea of different jobs/sectors, and if they need a degree to try any of those after school, then so be it. But I won't be doing like some parents I hear at the school gate, talking about when not if their children go to university.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Honestly think a trade is a great start for anyone. i did a degree and then an electrical apprenticeship. Learnt more in the trade than I did in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The biggest bullies I ever met in the workplace were all tradesmen that let power get to them. They were all university of life types, that felt they knew more than any of the engineers they worked with. So clever as it were, that they didn't need to go to college.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dmakc

What's the best quick fix for tyre trenches in a soft field that needs to be ready for silage? I went deep with a slurry tank before the closing period and was lucky to get out of it. Was just the one run about 80m of trench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭minerleague

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Is it dry enough to pull a roller over it or even drive the tractor along the tracks to level them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I brought 37 to Shannon airport yesterday for an explore engineering even. Went to one stand and found two former students there representing their company- the woman said that I brought her there 5 years previous and she got talking to someone and chose her career and loves it, of the 3 women working as aircraft mechanics for that company, I taught 2. TBH I was fair chuffed to hear that.

12% unemployment in the area I’m working now… hopefully a few more evenings like yesterday will help even a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I concur on the poor advice around career guidance..it was shocking in my school 20 years ago..I hope it has improved..I was quite bright in school but didn't really give a **** at that age, had no ambition of careers or the like..got 460 points with little or no effort to be honest and ended up doing a fairly specific course because a teacher had a fantasy about it..it didn't suit me and should have left after 2 months but I stuck it out and got the degree.. wasn't worth the paper it was written on..

I should have worked for a few years, was offered an electrical apprenticeship with a big electrical engineering firm..id be laughing had I taken it but my mother insisted I go to college.in fairness to her it wasn't snobbery just lack of education or knowledge at the time..she didn't want me killed on building sites.

Long story short I'm back doing a springboard engineering course now which I now know is probably what I am best suited to apart from farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You wouldn't be the only one, there's lots out there with jobs that have little to do with the degree that they have.

It's not the end of the world to make a wrong choice as a teenager. it has very little to do with how you finish up.

Our local filling station owner ( which is doing very well) trained as a nurse in the last ten years and is a full time nurse at the moment and running the filling station as well, even expanding it at the moment,

Large animal veterinary is a pain of a job at the moment, I know plenty that gave it up to go to the department or works in promotion or sales. Our vet has six vets in his large animal practise and and more vets in his two small animal clinics , we had one of his vets here today and she said they're run off their feet

One of the practices were daughter works advertised for a vet nurse and got no replies, they already have 6 vet nurses working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Good loser

A run of a power harrow will fix it the finest. When ground dries. No need for seeds after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Good loser

Or rolling at the right time. Not too wet and not too dry.

I let a tanker into a soft field in Feb. He sunk after a few yards and did one huge half circuit of the field sinking 6" to 9" ALL THE WAY. Will power harrow in April I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Daughter is 17, she doesn't know what she wants to do. Says she's going to work for a year after school before she decides what to do.

Advertisement