Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Only one tractor has passed here going east for the protest, If they get good support they'll be difficult to make stand down...... according to the talk anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Building ( roofing) question.

I have an old farm building, probably dating from the 1880's that the roof is collapsing on.

Front side is bad, as the photo shows, the back is still intact but the trusses/couples are badly bowed.

Would you A) Strip the lot and replace with a black box profile sheeting, hopefully the stuff with a pvc "grain effect" finish, or

B) strip the lot and re-slate the front side and clad the rear.

Can you even do that, or will the weight difference cause it problems?

It's part of an old yard, and if money was no object I'd re-roof the lot with new couples, battens, felt and reuse all the slates I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Have the tractor protest group blockaded Musgraves, seen a video of it blocked off with jeeps and tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Worth looking into the restoration grabts surely. Have cousins in Wexford who availed of the grants they were on the FJ with it saw it in person myself and it really crowned the place.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

It will be big enough money either way, would definitely look at getting a grant on it. Would guess you will need to strip it all down, run a ringbeam of concrete around the top of the walls to stop them crumbling any more and then a new wall plate, new timbers and new sheeting, slates would look the best but again cost may mean you will be using the tile / slate effect cladding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭minerleague

Depends on any long term plans to renovate? If a lot of the slates were reusable ( or others taken from similar sheds around yard) it would look well and mightn't be hugely more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭DBK1

Great finish to the Formula 1 earlier, I haven’t had much interest in it in over 20 years at this stage but this season brought a lot of people back into it I’d say.

There hasn’t been as good a last 5 minutes since Offaly v Limerick in 94😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭eire23

Unbelievable finish.A charity for Hamilton and toto wolf. It was a good call by the race director instead of finishing under the safety car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭green daries

Beware the grant your going to end up doing what they want and I hear they are not to gone on coated sheeting or tile effect on roofs probably wouldn't allow a ring beam either only barges as far as I know....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

Maybe take the slates off the back of the house and sheet the back? Use the spare slates on the front. I've tegral thrutone up 4 years n the corners are curling up already- junk.

Also take that Jetta out n give it a scrub, stick it up on done deal with a rediculous price- you'll probably get it!

Got a rough "guesstimate" of €19,000 from a lad, but he didn't know when he could start.....

Have to do more pricing of materials.

Unless you could do a good bit of it yourself, it'd be prohibitively expensive, and I'm working off farm as well....

Asked my farm planner about the "Traditional Farm Buildings" grant, but he claims that despite entering a number of people into it, none were chosen.

To put it back the way it was involves a lot of timber!

Post edited by Nekarsulm on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

You could have to employ a botanist to see if there's any protected wildlife using the building. Owls bats etc. Neighbour drew a grant to convert a bit of an old outbuilding into a farm office. Had a lad lurking around the yard for a few days looking for wildlife. If they are using the building you might be stopped from doing any repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Come on, it was a complete disgrace. Masi has been out of his depth since day. Today he allowed himself to be swayed by a desperate team and didn't follow the safety car rules. Very unsatisfactory way to end the season. Hamilton didn't deserve that today. Wouldn't blame him for becoming disillusioned with the whole thing and he retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Couldn't be bothered with that F1 stuff.

Was at a Christmas lights tractor and truck run this evening.

Called first to Campile where it was leaving from but there wasn't a parking space to be got in the place. Thousands of people there. Went further down the road to Fethard to wait for it pass through.

Tractor and truck owners put some work into it.

It probably was a disgrace the way the decisions were made but to be fair there were plenty of disgraceful decisions made all during the season that benefited Hamilton and without them he’d have been nowhere near Verstappen going into today’s race so I suppose it just balances out. Today’s decisions will be remembered because it was the last race of the season but like in a match, a goal in the first minute is worth the same as a goal in the last minute.

What decisions benefited Hamilton? Verstappen has been essentially gifted two race wins. Spa the race that never took place and today. He went unpunished in Brazil, practically unpunished in Saudi Arabia when he brake tested Lewis. Would have been disqualified in other series for that. Hamilton has been jumping out of his way all season to avoid crashing. Hamilton showed since the break and especially since Mexico how good he still is. Under pressure needing to win all four and did but for an incompetent weak race director.

The most obvious one would be Hamilton driving his front wheel into Verstappen’s back wheel and pushing him off the track and out of the race in Silverstone with Hamilton then going on to win and Verstappen obviously getting nothing from the race. The red flag in Imola benefitted Hamilton to get from 9th up to second the same as the safety car benefitted Verstappen today. Hamiltons team mate Bothas took out both Red Bull cars in Hungary by literally ramming them off the track.

You don’t even need to go that far back, just look at the first lap today when Hamilton went off the track and cut straight through 2 corners to get back ahead of Verstappen after being overtaken and no action being taken.

Whoever won doesn’t really make a difference to me, I’m a very casual viewer, but I definitely think there couldn’t have been a better season or finale to bring a casual viewer back into it or bring new viewers in

But anyway there are full threads dedicated to this elsewhere on boards so no point getting bogged down in the detail on the farming chitchat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭green daries

Supposedly timber prices are to come back in the New year

I was talking to the local builders merchant last week and he thinks the same. He’s of the opinion supply is increasing and demand slightly dropping for a lot of materials and thinks that once the timber starts dropping in price a lot of the other materials should follow suit. Although he’s not expecting it to drop anywhere near the amount it has risen in the last 12-18 months but every little helps I suppose.

• Advertisement

Very casual viewer but you know all the anti Hamilton talking points from the season and is trying to justify what happened. If the rules were followed and the race ended under the safety car, no one could complain. Red Bull were being soundly beaten, hadn't an answer and there would be a worthy champion. Verstappen deserves it but no one can say it feels right the contrived way it ended. Too bad.

As I said earlier I agree it was a disgrace the way it ended. The only point I was trying to make after that is the decisions balanced themselves out over the season. But like a match you’ll remember the last minute decision and not the first minute decision when the game is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,254 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I agree it like a football match. Everybody complains about the lad pulled down bearing down on goal in injury time when the other team wins by a few points. However you have to look at the whole match.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Is lakil still on here? He used to do accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Sister landing in from Canada in a couple of hours. Parents don't know. Big surprise as she's not been home in 30 months. Auld pair in their wisdom have decided to go to Killarney for the week. Their first few days away in 2 years! Gotta drive to Dublin now soon, then to Killarney and back home for work in the morning.

They better be happy she's home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭emaherx

I bet they'll be thrilled, be some surprise for her to show up on their week away.

• Advertisement

Well, almost 100% decided to go with cladding.

The building is 20 metres long and the pitch on the roof needs 4.25 metre long sheet each side.

Black box profile with the PVC "leather grain" finish will come in at €3100 including vat.

Add in the required timber and flashing etc, and materials shouldn't be much along with €4500.

For a building that has no real use except to park a car, and at the other end a small room that would hold two ewes and lambs, that's lots.

The middle of the building was a forge with bellows etc, and a 6 foot fireplace that had a big cast iron cauldron for boiling spuds etc for pigs.

Save the slates and they will do some other project.

Flag

Quote Thanks!

Advertisement