Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm related "cures"

Options
  • 17-10-2020 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Was thinking about this recently when my mother got a call from a neighbouring farmer to share the prayer to stop an animal bleeding. Would love to hear about other examples of alternative treatments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Ould lad near me is a great believer in bread soda .....cures everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Not a cure, but around here where I live the country folk bless the land and homestead on May eve still.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Ould lad near me is a great believer in bread soda .....cures everything!

Bread soda counteracts the acidity in the gut. Even the experts recommend it.

http://animalhealthireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Recipe_for_Homemade_electrolytes.pdf

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note; Any mention of burnt oil in this thread and there will be cards flying out.

Read the charter before posting here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057309495

No 6

Specifically prohibited from discussion/suggestion as treatments are:

Waste/burnt oil, Creosote, Turpentine, White Spirits, Jeyes Fluid, Domestos. (this list will be amended in future)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

blue5000 wrote: »
    Mod note; Any mention of burnt oil in this thread and there will be cards flying out.

Read the charter before posting here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057309495

No 6

Waste/burnt oil, Creosote, Turpentine, White Spirits, Jeyes Fluid, Domestos. (this list will be amended in future)

Ah Blue you might as well just close the thread if you're not allowing that beauty 😂😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

My dad used to know of a lady with the cure for Orf. Never met her or knew who she was, only that she lived in the North somewhere. Would text her, she'd text back to say it was done, whatever "it" was.

... He'd still always treat the animals too, just in case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Have a friend with sheep hes plagued with orf every year jey tis hard on the sheep is there a treatment for it he says there isn't? Any recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

lab man wrote: »
    Have a friend with sheep hes plagued with orf every year jey tis hard on the sheep is there a treatment for it he says there isn't? Any recommendations

Scabivax vaccine as lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

blue5000 wrote: »

No 6

Don't think Trump will bother posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭893bet

Dock leaves for nettle stings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bluestone mixed with lard applied for foot rot in cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I remember as a kid being sent to cut armload of ivy with berries on it, for a weanling who was absolutely covered with "angle-berries".

Scabivax, gool old blue spray on the scabs to stop it spreading, and I've heard a few people swear by salt blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I think biggest thing in dealing with it was better mineral dosing...

We used to vaccinate but gave up - wasn’t worth it, found lambs still got a touch but it cleared in a few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Potín given to calves to cure scour

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Goose grease for the legs of horses especially during winter

1. Goose grease is very useful for many purposes. It is very good for sprains, for stiffness in joints;

2. People who have strong boots, put goose-grease on them to keep the leather soft.

3. People also use it for cart-grease.

4. When there is snow on the ground, the people rub grease of their boots to keep the snow from sticking to them.

5. If a cow's udder is sore after calving, it is very good to rub a bit of goose grease of it.

6. If a horse's foot is swelled, it is very good to rub a bit of goose-grease of it, for it would put down the swelling.

7. If you had a bad cold, to rub goose grease of your chest, is very good.

8. If your foot was sprained, to rub goose grease of it, would cure it.

9. To rub goose grease of tacklings, it would make them limber.

10. If you have a pair of hard leather boots, rub goose grease of them and do not leave them near the fire.

From the Duchas School collection of folklore

Potín given to calves to cure scour

My grandad would have had you believe poitin cured just about anything. How his animals weren't all in bits with hangovers all the time anyway is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Scabivax vaccine as lambs

Sound do all of them have to be done every year I saw some of the sheep jesus tis cruel I think someone told him to put <mod snip> on the wounds fair sad

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Also if goose grease didn't work try poitin, if poitin doesn't work mix it with goose grease, it works wonders

Also if goose grease didn't work try poitin, if poitin doesn't work mix it with goose grease, it works wonders

Way back in time when I was a nipper - the mother used to make a concoction of poitin and I think petroleum jelly (but it could very well have been goose grease) which she religiously used on us to prevent chapped lips during the winter.

The problem was that we went to school reeking of poitin. I'm sure social services would be called these days ....

• Advertisement

Wouldn't want to try blowing out a candle either, it would be like spraying a Lynx can over a lighter.

Surely poitin would eat the lips off you?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Drop of apple cider vinegar into bucket fed calves milk to prevent/ treat scour and gut problems.

Wouldn't want to try blowing out a candle either, it would be like spraying a Lynx can over a lighter.

Surely poitin would eat the lips off you?!?

It stung like hell if your lips were at all chapped. Remember this was in the days before Central heating. So kids with chapped lips (and runny noses) was not uncommon.

I reckon what the mixture did do was kill off any bacteria much like hand sanitiser these days. Maybe that's why we never got sick bar the usual round of measles and mumps.

Just as well we had no notion to try and smoke a sneaky cigarette ...

Funny thing is you dont really see kids with runny noses anymore. Was that just an immune response that has been sanitised away? Thing is I don't remember any kids in school with asthma ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Apple cider vinegar/water/bluestone pained on is apparently very good for orf.

For foot issues in sheep I mix bluestone into sudocream, seems to work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Used to Hang holly branches on rafters on housing to help with something ..I think ringworm.
    Feeding seaweed is a great preventive...iodine & trace minerals. Never had better cattle than the seaweed fed ones. No sickness..just thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

gozunda wrote: »
    It stung like hell if your lips were at all chapped. Remember this was in the days before Central heating. So kids with chapped lips (and runny noses) was not uncommon.

I reckon what the mixture did do was kill off any bacteria much like hand sanitiser these days. Maybe that's why we never got sick bar the usual round of measles and mumps.

Just as well we had no notion to try and smoke a sneaky cigarette ...

Funny thing is you dont really see kids with runny noses anymore. Was that just an immune response that has been sanitised away? Thing is I don't remember any kids in school with asthma ...

Maybe the kids were better at fighting off infection and able to go to school instead of being knocked for six by the first little bug?

Funny thing then is no kid seemed to be allergic or intolerant to anything. Everyone drank the school milk and ate bags of peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

In my fathers youth when cattle were going out of the house in may, the yearlings would be “hobbled”, bulls were castrated and a piece of copper wire pushed through the dewlap and well tied to keep away blackleg diseases. A v cut in each ones ear as the identity mark, every neighbour done a different cut.

The tradition was so old the reason or origin was forgotten but a local folklorist told me that way back they believed the fairies feared the metal wire and let the animal be. The cutting of the ear was dually letting of a little bit of blood for piseog as well as identity.
    This would of been in the 50’s.

The turn of the a triangular cut sod and sign of the cross, marked by the trod of a lame hoof for “fouls“

Bluestone, Epsom salts, parrafin oil,
    Porter, poitin , lard, all things most farmers had at their disposal
    however my great grandfather had a insteps knowledge of plants. Herbs roots and all kinds for man and beast but were all made irrelevant by massive advances in conventional treatments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

We always got turnip juice here when we were feeling unwell. My mother said I got it as a baby when I had the hooping cough after the doctor said there was nothing he could do.

I guess thats why I ended up to my knees in muck snigging them when I was older :D

Maybe the kids were better at fighting off infection and able to go to school instead of being knocked for six by the first little bug?

Funny thing then is no kid seemed to be allergic or intolerant to anything. Everyone drank the school milk and ate bags of peanuts.

There were always some kids who "didn't thrive" though, or some young fella who was always "sickly", and looking back I have to wonder how much of that came down to the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

In the 80’s a lot of young lads including myself had “hives” on our legs nearly all summer.
    We were showing an allergy to something but the symptoms weren’t picked up on.

Advertisement