Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You could have problems with VRT too.

Not if he is bringing it back to the UK, he won’t need to register it here. Sounds like the op has the log book and needs to forward it to DVLA in the UK along with address in Scotland where he will be living, to register ownership. This is pretty straight forward as the car is going back to be driven/used in Scotland. I can see how something like this can happen to a person buying a new car without knowing the ins and outs of ownership transfer and insurance. The legalities are for knowledgeable people to advise on, but op, some insurance policies do cover you to drive other cars, it might only be third party, so check your parents policy.

For the legal minds, if someone else is the registered owner, and lets say the op has third party cover from his parents policy to drive other cars, would the op be able to bring parents policy in to Gardai as proof that he was insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I haven't signed anything I just have the transfer of ownership document

You own the vehicle from when you hand over the money not when you post off the form, otherwise how do people insure cars they've just bought. Not that it matters who owned the vehicle if you weren't insured to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dav010 wrote: »
    Not if he is bringing it back to the UK, he won’t need to register it here. Sounds like the op has the log book and needs to forward it to DVLA in the UK along with address in Scotland where he will be living, to register ownership. This is pretty straight forward as the car is going back to be driven/used in Scotland. I can see how something like this can happen to a person buying a new car without knowing the ins and outs of ownership transfer and insurance. The legalities are for knowledgeable people to advise on, but op, some insurance policies do cover you to drive other cars, it might only be third party, so check your parents policy.

That might have been an excuse from before the internet but now it's not, not that ignorance of the law has ever been a defence in court.
    For the legal minds, if someone else is the registered owner, and lets say the op has third party cover from his parents policy to drive other cars, would the op be able to bring parents policy in to Gardai as proof that he was insured?

The OP is the owner as they paid for the car, what it says on the VLC/V5 is irrelevant. The "Driving other cars" extension on insurance policies only covers the policy holder not the named drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Del2005 wrote: »
    That might have been an excuse from before the internet but now it's not, not that ignorance of the law has ever been a defence in court.

The OP is the owner as they paid for the car, what it says on the VLC/V5 is irrelevant. The "Driving other cars" extension on insurance policies only covers the policy holder not the named drivers.

You are right I am sure, but even the most learned make stupid mistakes that could be avoided with a little research. One of the top judges in the country is an example of that, the op made a mistake, though legally it may be clear cut, he doesn’t deserve to be accused of lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You are right I am sure, but even the most learned make stupid mistakes that could be avoided with a little research. One of the top judges in the country is an example of that, the op made a mistake, though legally it may be clear cut, he doesn’t deserve to be accused of lying.

His whole setup was fraud. You can't be the main driver on a car while a named driver, even on a real policy

Never mind he owned it and was holding off signing it over to his name to further his fraud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

you technically own the car as soon as you pay for it.

the v5 is only where they sent MOT reminders and speed fines. Says on the front in big writing it's not proof of ownership

Technically, not legally. That is why the owner, not the purchaser, should sent off the relevant documents (V5 in UK, Registration certificate in RoI)

jim salter wrote: »
    Technically, not legally. That is why the owner, not the purchaser, should sent off the relevant documents (V5 in UK, Registration certificate in RoI)

V5 is not proof of ownership and to anyone reading

IF YOU BUY A UK CAR DO NOT LET THE SELLER SEND OFF THE V5C

You will be in a **** sandwich if they do that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

tipptom wrote: »
    Fed up with keyboard bullies on here who wouldn't dare say that to your face
    Have a word with yourself.

This is the latest in a series of threads from users with a low post count involving wildly improbable scenarios surrounding the purchase of a vehicle. I am naturally highly skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

V5 is not proof of ownership and to anyone reading

IF YOU BUY A UK CAR DO NOT LET THE SELLER SEND OFF THE V5C

You will be in a **** sandwich if they do that

Jesus christ, what is it with people on boards.

The V5C: "When you sell a car, either online, through a dealer or at an auction, it's useful to have a service history and other documentation about the car's life. But the most vital piece of paperwork is the V5C logbook. It will have the information about the car that your potential buyer will want to know, including proof that you are the owner and are authorised to sell the car. Once they have bought your car, you will need to fill out the V5C/2 new keeper supplement of the V5C. This section then tears off as a slip that you give to the buyer as proof that they now own the vehicle. "

jim salter wrote: »
    Jesus christ, what is it with people on boards.

The V5C: "When you sell a car, either online, through a dealer or at an auction, it's useful to have a service history and other documentation about the car's life. But the most vital piece of paperwork is the V5C logbook. It will have the information about the car that your potential buyer will want to know, including proof that you are the owner and are authorised to sell the car. Once they have bought your car, you will need to fill out the V5C/2 new keeper supplement of the V5C. This section then tears off as a slip that you give to the buyer as proof that they now own the vehicle. "

529741.jpg

that's a slightly older one, but the current ones still have "THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP" on the front

I wonder which is correct, the document itself or the autotrader blog you copy pasted that off. I'd tend to trust the actual document but I'm open to having my mind changed.

What's it got to do with the OP anyway, do you think not filling out the form actually makes him not the owner of the car thus making his insurance policy legal (if it wasn't fictional). IMO it wouldn't be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 GhostRanger

Update: ended up getting a €500 fine and 5 penalty points

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Update: ended up getting a €500 fine and 5 penalty points

Minor compared to trying to take out an insurance policy now and having to declare the court conviction.
    But if you're in Scotland, it shouldn't have any bearing there

Advertisement