Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a member or a former member of a Credit Union?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They're grand until the local Councillors try to boost their profile by getting on the Board of Directors and then doing fúck all for 2 years and missing almost every meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The op and everyone else moaning could go to the meeting, get involved, or simply go in and ask why they are not receiving correspondence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

After my mother nagging me into it I went to join our local one. When I asked about joining at the desk the aul witch behind the counter shouts at me 'you have to be a member for 6 months before you can borrow'. I hadn't asked about borrowing. I took the forms anyway but they went in the bin, not dealing with that level of poxbottle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I love my credit union. It gave me loans when my bank laughed at me for looking for an overdraft or a €2k loan.

Been with my one about 12 years and have never once asked the bank for a loan except the mortgage.

Interest rates are decent and any time you call you get through to an actual person and not a call centre in India!

• Advertisement

Member of my work one, savings from my paypacket and decent for car loans etc

All online and very happy with it

Normal One wrote: »
    I'm in my work one. Tried to apply for a car loan 6 years ago. They wanted me to fax 54 pages of application stuff. The dusty old fax machine broke down halfway through so I gave up. Still putting €20 a fortnight into savings, mind you.

What are you going to do with your 480 next year?
    blow it all at once?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I was a member of Rush Credit Union which was at the centre of a scandal....

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/how-did-three-monitoring-bodies-miss-financial-trouble-at-rush-cu-35190064.html

I intended on joining another, but to be honest I've been reluctant to deal with the hassle again.

Yup. I have two credit union accounts, one a savings account, and the other a transfer account for my mortgage/rents. I'm completely happy with both accounts, and the limited services attached to them. They do exactly what I want from them... and there are minimal charges. They also don't bother me with endless crap, except when they're changing the terms of the contract or the service I'm actually signed up for.

Whereas the banks have peppered me with charges, even to the point of requiring a maintenance charge on an account that hadn't been used in years (money in the account but no transactions happening). That account balance has dipped considerably due to the bank charges for services that I never used. In the end, I've closed nearly all my bank accounts because over the course of a few years, the charges accumulate to amounts that I'd be happier having for myself.

OP, the banks will screw you. The Credit union has limited use, but if you don't need much, they're a much better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Each to their own. I was a member when I was starting out in my youth. Was grand to borrow a few bob for the holliers and that.

Found when I moved into my own gaff that the local place knew far too much about everyone's business so I scarpered! Anonymity re money is one of my life lessons..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

One downside with them all is that they do not announce their dividend until near the end of the year. This year I expect that it could be zero in some cases. That is because they are stuffed with money that nobody wants to borrow, and they don't want to encourage more deposits. For the same reason they have put limits on what can be saved.

Of course there is far more money sitting in the banks earning next to no interest as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

What are you going to do with your 480 next year?
    blow it all at once?:D

Keep it there, it's over 9k now

Advertisement