Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to a payslip

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Strumms wrote: »
    Wouldn’t make a difference to me either if we had all the info.

The managers had a hobby of fûcking up the OT, when you got your hard copy slip a week to ten days beforehand you’d simply spot the oversight, a quick call and resolved... eslip arriving 5 days beforehand after the payrun was done, we were being told “ sure we’ll sort it out next month “

In fairness getting your payslip 10 days before you get paid is rather odd.
    5 days is Still probably 2-3 days quicker than most people get theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Seve OB wrote: »
    In fairness getting your payslip 10 days before you get paid is rather odd.
    5 days is Still probably 2-3 days quicker than most people get theirs

We were paid monthly so it had been regular to get em that early.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don’t have a smartphone and know plenty of others who don’t.

Why would I put email on my phone.I can afford a pc or a tablet.Not to mind security-a lot asier to lose a phone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Strumms wrote: »
    We were paid monthly so it had been regular to get em that early.

I've been paid monthly my entire career. Day before payday is the earliest I've ever been given a payslip. Day of far more common.

None of which changes the fact that your employer could easily give you a PDF payslip with all the same information as the old hard copy ones. The format wasn't the issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I run a small sized business, employ 12 people. Pay people on a weekly basis.

Originally we gave payslips every week, then we gave them monthly (physical copy) most of the time they were shoved into their locker or binned straight away. Always gave them a payslip on request.

Changed 18mths ago to a basic wages programme and it sends a password protected email to each employee, everyone is happy.

The problem with one person wanting a physical payslip is how do you get it to them ? If the person doing the payroll works a different day to the employee then physically getting it to them is an issue (minor one but still an issue) . You could post it but then thats an extra cost with postage and someone having to go to the post office or post box. You dont want to leave it lying around either. its just a PITA.

OP go with the specific wages email, its the simplest solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,768 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hibernicis wrote: »
    I dealt with this on a number of occasions when switching employees from paper to electronic payslips in the past, in particular where people's personal e-mail account was shared (with a spouse or other family members etc). As was already pointed out, the e-mailed payslips should be password protected, and should use a password specific/unique to the employee. If this is the case then your friend should be OK to use his personal e-mail address as the payslip password will offer an additional layer of protection in the event of someone accessing his e-mail account.

Do people actually have shared email accounts. What would be the point given that accounts are free

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Do people actually have shared email accounts. What would be the point given that accounts are free

Unfortunately, yes. It's a bit like shared bank accounts.

Unfortunately, yes. It's a bit like shared bank accounts.

What purpose do they serve?

A shared bank account is for co-owned money but I can't see why anyone needs co personal emails

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

he can set up free Gmail email address

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

wally1990 wrote: »
    First off , I was in the opposite position before and took issue .

my payslips were going to my work address and I didn't like that because IT have access to every single program, file , email , teams messages, passwords etc I send and i felt my pay was private to myself and thus requested to stop sending it to my work address and instead got it sent to my personal email

Maybe your friend should consider that as a security issue if it goes to his work address and maybe he isn't comfortable with that

I'd rather it go to my own address as opposed to a work address that the employer / company owns

IT have access to everything per you, but they can't gain access to the payroll file? Your logic doesnt add up Wally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

A shared bank account is for co-owned money but I can't see why anyone needs co personal emails

Our house has an email address. It gets all the household bills, car insurance quotes etc.

Idleater wrote: »
    Our house has an email address. It gets all the household bills, car insurance quotes etc.

Fair enough but everyone still has individual ones I assume. The earlier post kinda made out that some people would only have shared ones or maybe I picked it up wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've been paid monthly my entire career. Day before payday is the earliest I've ever been given a payslip. Day of far more common.

None of which changes the fact that your employer could easily give you a PDF payslip with all the same information as the old hard copy ones. The format wasn't the issue there.

Well years of being paid monthly too, but slips in advance.

Better as mistakes can and are made but can be recognized beforehand and slip redone. Our manager had a handy forgetfulness when it came to OT... either underpaying or on the odd time overpaying, it was a lottery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

dennyk wrote: »
    Sounds like the issue here is that the OP's "friend" has an email account, but doesn't want to share it with their employer because of concerns that their employer will not respect boundaries and will either start contacting them after hours using said email or will give out said email to a customer or other third party; that's certainly a reasonable concern. The simple solution, though, would be to set up a new free email account just for their payslips and only check it on pay day (and ignore all other messages sent to it except their pay information).

Why would someone go through the trouble of doing that?

I simply setup a rule on outlook, so when the payslip gets e-mailed to my work email address, it forwards the email to my personal e-mail address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭dennyk

Why would someone go through the trouble of doing that?

Because the OP's friend's employer requires a non-work email address and the OP's friend doesn't want to give their employer their current personal email address. It's hardly any trouble, anyhow; it takes like thirty seconds to set up a brand new GMail account.

They give insecure or abusive people control in the relationship.

Or they can be used when one person in a relationship cannot read. But thats unlikely to apply to anyone who is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Tork

You'll also find some people just have no interest in having an email address and are happy to just use a communal one. One of my cousins was like that for years until she finally got a smartphone.

Anyway, all of this is a fuss over nothing. It isn't difficult to set up a new, free email address with any number of providers. If you're paranoid about other people seeing the payslips or logging into your account, just open up a private/incognito tab on your browser and use that to look at them. Some people just make things hard for themselves at time. It sounds like what a former colleague of mine would have done. And believe me, people quickly got tired of his antics. All his manager would've been saying to him at a time like this is "Jim, just give me an email address (I really don't want to listen to you banging on about your gripe)"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Does he not have a work email address?

The payslip should be emailed to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

:confused:
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

:confused:
    Why?

In the absence of an online access facility (now withdrawn according to OP), then this gets round the issue.

• Advertisement

Nope. Using a work-address it means the employee won't get their final payslip after they've left.

Far better to have it go to a personal address that the employee has continued access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I work for a large multinational and payslips have to go to private email. The pdf needs a password to open. They’ve never sent me anything else to that address apart from when I was starting sending on paperwork etc.

Advertisement