Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Seeing Model 3's everywhere these days, good few 211s.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Seeing Model 3's everywhere these days, good few 211s.

Yeah saw 4 211s today myself. There were around 200 brought in this month so stands to reason I suppose!

Got the car back from ceramic coating:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM-MJemrA4O/

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Got the car back from ceramic coating:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM-MJemrA4O/

That looks fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Nice to see the new interior in the wild... looks slick.

Has anyone found images of the new more subtle White interior (beyond product renderings)? Love the white seats but was never a fan of the bright door panels.

Model-3-RHD-Interior-Hero-Desktop-V2

• Advertisement

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Nice to see the new interior in the wild... looks slick.

Has anyone found images of the new more subtle White interior (beyond product renderings)? Love the white seats but was never a fan of the bright door panels.

Some here:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/5421578/

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

€1799 Inc VAT for the acceleration boost. Tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So we bought a model 3 today!!

It's the long range version.

Now bear with me but you guys are going to be bombarded with questions!!

Who is the best to sign up with for charging away from home? Do you get a fob or a card?

Can you rock up to any charger without being registered and just give your credit or debit card and start charging?

Can anyone recommend a good insurance broker? Our crowd could only get one company to take us on with a 3k excess!!

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

mfceiling wrote: »

Who is the best to sign up with for charging away from home? Do you get a fob or a card?

Can you rock up to any charger without being registered and just give your credit or debit card and start charging?

Can anyone recommend a good insurance broker? Our crowd could only get one company to take us on with a 3k excess!!

Thanks in advance.

ecars app- ecar connect (ESB)
    EasyGo

For Tesla superchargers you can plug in and it Automatically links to your account. For the rest you can start via app, card or fob.

Abetterrouteplanner is good for when you can plan longer trips

There's a Tesla owners Ireland facebook page which is very active and plenty of info on there.

Congrats and Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Sam W

Thanks in advance.

I can't see when I'm going to need to visit a public charger, but in the off chance that I do, I have two apps on my phone - ESB's 'ecar connect' and Chargepoint. ESB require you to top up 20 euro for the pay-as-you-go option, while Chargepoint is free. Most ESB points allow anonymous charging as well so you don't have to register if you don't want to spend that 20 euro.

Avoid using any slow charge points at all costs. More than often you will see it showing up as available in your app, but when you get there you'll find that some random car has been parked there for hours. A lot of people don't have any charging etiquette.

If you need to do regular long commute that requires a charge on the road, try to find a spot that is less likely to be occupied (e.g. Tesla's superchargers) by random people.

Regarding insurance, I feel your pain. As someone who's in their 30's and have 5 years of NCB, it is surprisingly hard to get a remotely reasonable price anywhere.

123.ie was the main one that has a sensible price, but anyone who had to make a claim against them will tell you how terrible they are.

My previous insurer Zurich told me that they don't insure Tesla's at all initially, but after I made an official complaint, they came back with the cheapest price (470 euro with full NCB protection for me and my missus), so I went with them.

Btw - even though everyone tells me that it's cheaper to get a quote from brokers, I still found it cheaper to get the quote directly from the insurance companies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Aph2016 wrote: »
    €1799 Inc VAT for the acceleration boost. Tempting.

I assume if you bought this you would need to notify your insurance company or otherwise they may not pay out in the case of a claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,036 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I assume if you bought this you would need to notify your insurance company or otherwise they may not pay out in the case of a claim?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lumen wrote: »
    No.

Would they not class it as a modification? The car they've insured you on does it in 5 seconds say, you buy the acceleration pack and the car now has additional performance.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sam W wrote: »
    Most ESB points allow anonymous charging as well so you don't have to register if you don't want to spend that 20 euro.

Whats anonymous charging? You need to be registered with eCars to use their chargers!! or are you talking about using another provider to gain access to eCars chargers?

Sam W wrote: »
    Avoid using any slow charge points at all costs.

Why would you say this? Slow (AC) charging is much healthier for the overall life of the battery than fast (DC) charging.

If you are somewhere, and will spend a few hours there, it would make a lot more sense to plug into a local AC for the few hours you are there rather than using a DC fast charger on the way there, or on the way home. Why waste time en route charging, when you can charge at the destination!!

Tesla - You are already signed up, just arrive at a SuperCharger and plug in, and your cc that you have in your Tesla account will be billed accordingly. No card or fob needed - the simplest form of charging in the wild you will do.

ESB eCars probably the main network you'd use outside of Tesla if you need to charge in the wild - Get the app, and they will send you a card. PayG account would be the one you'd most likely get unless a very heavy user of their network.

EasyGo - next biggest after eCars, and expanding. app only unless you buy a fob off them for €6

Ionity - Would be for emergencies only, but currently the cheapest option to get access to Ionity is ChargePoint (€0.64/kWh), Standard Ionity price is €0.79/kWh - CharhePoint have an app and they send you a card.

No, This is Ireland, and that kind of thing is far too advanced for little old Ireland.

XS Direct?

Insurance is a minefield, and what works for one will not work for the other 99%, so you really have to just put in the effort to get as many quotes as you can....

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Sam W

Whats anonymous charging? You need to be registered with eCars to use their chargers!! or are you talking about using another provider to gain access to eCars chargers?
    ESB has this concept of anonymous charging which means you won't have to give them your details regarding the payment. However, you are still required to register. So yes you need to be registered with them nonetheless (which is quite stupid to be honest).

Why would you say this? Slow (AC) charging is much healthier for the overall life of the battery than fast (DC) charging.

If you are somewhere, and will spend a few hours there, it would make a lot more sense to plug into a local AC for the few hours you are there rather than using a DC fast charger on the way there, or on the way home. Why waste time en route charging, when you can charge at the destination!!

I guess I should revise what I said there: Unless you have a reliable destination charger that you know you will have access to, don't rely on destination chargers. High power chargers like Superchargers and Ionity are better for one-off uses, if you only do long trips occasionally.

Most destination chargers in the city are always occupied (even when they said they are not in the app). I go to Marlay Park, Blanchardstown and City Centre every other day. In the place where I normally park my car, there's always, always someone (who's not charging) occupying these spaces.

The free ones are certainly a free for all, and I simply consider them off limits now as you are 99% sure a PHEV will be plugged in to it for hours on end....

Paying for AC charging with eCars (and now EasyGo in some sites), was actually a good thing for availability (but bad as it removed an incentive to go EV). The problem is the high profile spots where people are happy to pay to charge for the sake of a prime parking spot.

I went to Bray last summer and both units on the seafront were occupied by cars that were not charging.... 4 spaces taken (3 PHEV’s and an EV van) as there were simply no other ‘normal’ parking spaces available.....

Expect this sort of behaviour to be the norm very soon when we all get to drive around again....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys, is this a proper Model 3 Performance?
    It has the dual motor, correct wheels and Calipers but the word performance pack has me thinking differently?

It’s not a stealth P is it?
    Are all Performances listed as LR with P Pack?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27395656

Gumbo wrote: »
    Guys, is this a proper Model 3 Performance?
    It has the dual motor, correct wheels and Calipers but the word performance pack has me thinking differently?

It’s not a stealth P is it?
    Are all Performances listed as LR with P Pack?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27395656

The red line on the rear under where it says Dual Motor tells me it's a Performance....

I also think those shiny pedals only came as standard on the P (though they could be easily added later...)

Thats an incredible price for a 2019 P with only 8k km's on the clock!!!!!!!
    Someone snap it up quickly before they realise it's worth a hell of a lot more than €55k

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The red line on the rear under where it says Dual Motor tells me it's a Performance....

I also think those shiny pedals only came as standard on the P (though they could be easily added later...)

Someone snap it up quickly before they realise it's worth a hell of a lot more than €55k

I am seriously tempted by a M3P.
    I think €55k is where it’s at as it’s 2 years old, older model etc

If it was closer to hone I’d go look at it but I’m not going over the south side as my gut tells me I’d have to give north of €20k with my car and I don’t want it that much :)

• Advertisement

The brake pads won't even be worn in yet on that at 8,000km's!!!

it's only 18 months old, and has 1/3 of the mileage my 1 year old SR+ has, for only €6k more than what I paid for mine!!!

Someone get in there and buy that!!!!

I had an S for a few days a few weeks ago, and yeah it was big and soft and quick and generally great, but it honestly felt brilliant getting back into the Model 3 afterwards.... just felt so much more tight & precise (so I can only imagine much much better the P would feel, especially when you play around with track mode).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EVBS

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster :)

Just have a quick question on the charging speed of the Model 3 SR+. I recently took delivery on mine and everything is great except that it seems to charge very slowly. For example using the Ionity 350 kw fast charger the max speed I was getting was 29 kw. This was at 40% battery and only after it was charging for about half an hour to ramp up to that speed. Similar story with the ESB 50 kw charger, max I got was 22 kw. Even on the standard "slow" chargers it never reaches anywhere near the expected speed.

I know there is new batteries and it charges slower than the LR but this seems excessively slow. Is anyone else's experience similar?

Thanks

EVBS wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just have a quick question on the charging speed of the Model 3 SR+. I recently took delivery on mine and everything is great except that it seems to charge very slowly. For example using the Ionity 350 kw fast charger the max speed I was getting was 29 kw. This was at 40% battery and only after it was charging for about half an hour to ramp up to that speed. Similar story with the ESB 50 kw charger, max I got was 22 kw. Even on the standard "slow" chargers it never reaches anywhere near the expected speed.

I know there is new batteries and it charges slower than the LR but this seems excessively slow. Is anyone else's experience similar?

Thanks

Probably same things as explained in this video. TL;DR: SR+ has the LFP battery and seems to need a lot of preconditioning to take higher speeds:

https://youtu.be/21yAKi47iRQ

Even on the standard "slow" chargers it never reaches anywhere near the expected speed.

What speed are you getting on slow (AC) chargers? and what speed are you expecting? Bear in mind the most any Model 3 can take on AC is 11kW (this is determined by the car's onboard AC charger)

You'll only get the full 11kW from a 3 phase charger like an eCars AC22kW unit.
    At home, from a single phase domestic supply you'll get a maximum of 7kW only.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hi all,

Thanks

It sounds to me like it was a short trip to these chargers and the outside temp (therefore battery temp) was low.
    As an example, in high Summer in my 7 year old Model S I'll see initial charge rate of 113kWh then drop off to 90oddkWh, you'll fare much better come the good weather

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EVBS

Thanks for the video Wayne, that seems to be the issue alright. I haven't used a supercharger yet so I'll take a trip to one in the next few days to see if it makes a difference. At least its not an issue specific to my car!

Also Andy I haven't gotten my home charger sorted yet so thats good info on what speed I can expect.

Appreciate you guys taking the time to reply

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Plan to arrive at the Supercharger at low state of charge, not 40% for sure, try 15% (don't worry, there will be plenty of chargers available when you get there).
    On my roadtrip across Scotland last year I had to hop from Supercharger to Supercharger and after seeing how accurate first arrival state of charge was, I was routing to arrive at 10% of less every time as a low SOC makes a huge difference

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

As regards insurance I used a Broker,
    His name is Brian Byrne and his tel no is 01 6674985 . I got a good quote but I’m driving and insured for over 30 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

I have yet to charge at any public charger with covid restrictions an all .
    Can people with more experience clear so things up for me .

If I'm going to a Tesla charger and pop it in the nav as destination the battery will start preconditioning automatically. Is that right ?

Can I precondition for non tesla DC chargers ESB/ ionity ? Does it work the same way or do I do something ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

My old car, it’s a proper P! PM me if you want any details

Advertisement