Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insuring an electric car

• 12-10-2020 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭

Hi Boards,

Quick question (tried searching, no answer). When insuring an electric car do you quote the value as before or after the SEAI grants? I bought a 192 Kia e-Niro last July and I'm wondering what value I should be giving when insuring it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭daheff

when i was buying my Niro Phev I was told to insure it for the full market value before grants, as grants can be revoked at any time (unlikely though) so you may have to insure it for what you would have to pay to replace it.

in all likelihood its only an issue for the first year of ownership, and a lot of insurers do a like for like on the first year.

After year one you would 100% insure for market value as thats what you would have to pay if you were to buy a 1 year old (or other aged) car

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was told the policy would be different if the value of the car was over 50k so they insured mine using the figure after grants / vrt was taken away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Unless specifically stated an insurer will only pay out the market value on any claim. New car replacement is often for the first year of a new cars life if the policy includes this. You need to check with each insurer.

If not then look at gap insurance to cover the gap between the loan and market value price in the event of total loss.

Advertisement