Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Check now cancelled

• 11-10-2020 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Can't believe a breast check can be done by phone as this is surely a physical thing.

Hope this doesn't miss a lot of cancer issues.

Does anyone know if mammograms have been cancelled too ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Can't believe a breast check can be done by phone as this is surely a physical thing.

Hope this doesn't miss a lot of cancer issues.

Does anyone know if mammograms have been cancelled too ?

No, Beaumont back doing them. Mine was delayed by a month but went ahead when rescheduled. Didn't take long and done in the mobile unit. All very efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Concretejungle

aquinn wrote: »
    No, Beaumont back doing them. Mine was delayed by a month but went ahead when rescheduled. Didn't take long and done in the mobile unit. All very efficient.

Thanks for that, but I should have specified that I was talking about a check up after a person has breast cancer.

Thanks for that, but I should have specified that I was talking about a check up after a person has breast cancer.

Mine have all been phone follow-ups.

aquinn wrote: »
    Mine have all been phone follow-ups.

How do phone follow ups work ? How can they tell if a person has another breast lump which is not visible to the naked eye ? I thought this check up relied on physically examining the breast ?

How do phone follow ups work ? How can they tell if a person has another breast lump which is not visible to the naked eye ? I thought this check up relied on physically examining the breast ?

You should ring and talk to your breast care nurse. They can help. The Irish Cancer Society have videos as to how to check yourself.

• Advertisement

Well if they are not doing physical follow up checks, are they doing follow up mammograms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

I had my normal 6 monthly check up in person, its normally in the Beaumont but they've transferred to offices they have now in Omni Shopping Centre. I had the usual physical exam and then had my mammogram a few weeks later around the normal time I'd be due one.

I did receive a phone call during lockdown to check on me and to let me know when my new appointment would be.

I've received my date for my next appointment in February 2021

Contact them if you've concerns they'll arrange an appointment

Segotias wrote: »
    I had my normal 6 monthly check up in person, its normally in the Beaumont but they've transferred to offices they have now in Omni Shopping Centre. I had the usual physical exam and then had my mammogram a few weeks later around the normal time I'd be due one.

I did receive a phone call during lockdown to check on me and to let me know when my new appointment would be.

I've received my date for my next appointment in February 2021

Contact them if you've concerns they'll arrange an appointment

Thanks for that Segotias. I had been wondering what the use of a phone call would be as opposed to a physical check and I had also been wondering what a phone call would consist of. So now I know, all it consists of is a chat about any issues you might have and then a promise of getting a mammogram when it is due, but there could be delays as people who were due to get mammograms earlier in the year are still being worked through. I suppose once a person gets a mammogram that is the important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

I think the calls are to see if you have any issues you want raised with them, they asked me had I checked myself and how things were on the meds. If I had any issued they would have brought me in sooner, so if you're worried about anything specific you can always ring the secretary and explain your concerns, they're very helpful.

My mammogram was actually about 3 weeks early in the mobile unit in Beaumont, they are getting through them and will definitely get to you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭Caranica

Just been referred to Beaumont by my GP, she said appointment would take 2-6 weeks. That's with a lump!

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    Just been referred to Beaumont by my GP, she said appointment would take 2-6 weeks. That's with a lump!

Best of luck Caranica.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭Caranica

Best of luck Caranica.

Thanks. Got an appointment for a fortnight's time. Now to try to stay sane and get some sleep instead of fearing the worst 24/7!

Caranica wrote: »
    Thanks. Got an appointment for a fortnight's time. Now to try to stay sane and get some sleep instead of fearing the worst 24/7!

Don't worry about what could easily just be a cyst. Any woman I know who went for this check up had a benign cyst. 80% of these lumps are just cysts.
    Even the ones that aren't are very treatable. Don't worry until you have to.

Advertisement