Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW issues PHEV recall and is stopping delivery of many PHEV models

Options
  • 10-10-2020 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So there were news stories going around at the end of August that BMW had a manufacturing problem with their PHEV batteries manufactured between March and August of this year, but there were no official statements from BMW.

I picked up my X5 45e at the beginning of September and asked the dealer about this, but there was no information officially available.

So last night when I got into my car to go home I saw a message from BMW telling me to not charge the battery for now, and to wait for further details.

I believe that there are not many customers who have already taken possession of affected cars, but I think that anybody who is waiting to take delivery of a PHEV could be in for a delay.

1.jpg2.jpg
    3.jpg

4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg4.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Will they give you a loaner car in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Gumbo wrote: »

I'd be looking for a seriously nice loaner car in this instance. 7 series or better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Fire?

Sadly any car with a Cobalt battery faces this problem

Sooner they stop making EVs with cobalt batteries the better

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jayo3328

Not sure just yet, only had a quick conversation with my dealer.

For now I have been told to not charge the car, drive it on petrol and wait for more updates.

What others are saying online is that BMW are putting together some kind of testing team in Zeebrugge (one of their main transit hubs in Europe) and all affected cars are going to be sent there for testing and remedial works perhaps.

So waiting for further instructions at the moment

Gumbo wrote: »

Fire, so it seems;

BMW 330e goes on fire at dealership back in June

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733663

There was another picture of a Dutch White X5 45e going on fire about 2 weeks ago but I cant find the link now

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Fire?

Sadly any car with a Cobalt battery faces this problem

Sooner they stop making EVs with cobalt batteries the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I wonder is it the same issue as the Kona EV has. Possibly same battery supplier?
    KCross wrote: »

Could be indeed, but I dont know for sure.

I think Ford have a similar problem with the new Kuga PHEV where new sales have been stopped

KCross wrote: »
    I wonder is it the same issue as the Kona EV has. Possibly same battery supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

jayo3328 wrote: »
    Could be indeed, but I dont know for sure.

I think Ford have a similar problem with the new Kuga PHEV where new sales have been stopped

Yea and it’s somewhat coincidental that they all happened at much the same time. It’s not like PHEVs are new to the market.

Advertisement