Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs that something is 'quality'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

jetsonx wrote: »
    "Made in Japan"

I'm not sure that is as true as it once was. The Japanese fell for the trap of trying to compete with their Korean and Chinese neighbours on price, and it hasn't really served them well.

In fairness, and as expected, they have recognised that, and are trying to move back up the value chain in terms of producing premium products at premium prices. The Japanese themselves have a deep antipathy towards buying something new just for the sake of it. It turns out that their largest new market for quality goods such as knives, medical equipment, cameras, high-end fashion, and precision engineering products is China.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Italian leather shoes

Like those little buttons inside nice women's blouses that keep bra straps in place, or bags that come in another dust bag for protection.. what else you got?

Not this thread, that's for sure.

My universal charger disagrees. Creating dependence on the gullible, I unsubscribed to the cult early.

The only time I've ever had the misfortune of touching an apple product was when I was on work experience several moons ago.

Had to visit my GP afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Charlie19 wrote: »
    When it's wrote on the tin.

A lot of people say the quality is gone

But it's still written on the tin

There's no two way street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

Mark Corrigan likes the places that serve asymmetrical pizzas, which he finds indicate quality.

Have to say I agree.

Chance would be a find thing

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

I'm not sure that is as true as it once was. The Japanese fell for the trap of trying to compete with their Korean and Chinese neighbours on price, and it hasn't really served them well.

In fairness, and as expected, they have recognised that, and are trying to move back up the value chain in terms of producing premium products at premium prices. The Japanese themselves have a deep antipathy towards buying something new just for the sake of it. It turns out that their largest new market for quality goods such as knives, medical equipment, cameras, high-end fashion, and precision engineering products is China.

A man who has most obviously never lived or been to Japan. They throw out everything and buy new all of the time. From houses to cars. Everything has a limited time span and will be thrown out even though is practically new. Skips full to the brim with perfectly usable items. Consumerism gone crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

When you use something that does exactly what it says. Put it away for weeks / months and it still works like new.
    Power tools that are worth fixing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

The shoe-box isn't a flip-top job but rather a sleeve with a fabric handle that can be carried. When you slide open the drawer-like compartment inside are a pair of hand stitched brogues that are attired in individual cloth pouches. The corners of the inside heels are cut away at an angle to alleviate the uncomfortable sensation you feel in your instep when your weight is shifted to the inside of the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

When it comes with a lifetime guarantee.

When it has a "By Appointment to" the Royal household.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Scandinavian design that's not for the mass market. Bonus points if it's handmade too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Scandinavian design that's not for the mass market. Bonus points if it's handmade too.

Handmade Italian meatballs are better than Swedish ones, imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

A man who has most obviously never lived or been to Japan. They throw out everything and buy new all of the time. From houses to cars. Everything has a limited time span and will be thrown out even though is practically new. Skips full to the brim with perfectly usable items. Consumerism gone crazy

Of course he's never been to Japan, he's just a parody account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

jetsonx wrote: »
    "Made in Japan"

A country that doesn't usually make crap.

Lol

It ain't so

Very good at covering up maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Used condoms that have been reshaped with a wooden dildo

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54284355

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭blackbox

It has "St. Bernard" written on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Weight is always a good indicator of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Some years back it really didn't get much better than getting Orange juice with bits in it, well, yeah, it probably did, but when it came to juices it didn't

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sakana wrote: »
    Weight is always a good indicator of quality.
    LOL

Lots of products carry metal or concrete inserts to add weight. Like Beats headphones

My personal favourite is still the Chinese Magical Hard Drives from 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

blackbox wrote: »
    It has "St. Bernard" written on it.
    San Bernardo, the mark of true quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

True quality is when you see it in a charity shop for dirt cheap but you buy it and it's still going strong years later

It was something not loved enough to be donated to charity for free, that still performs like a boss for it's new owners

A similar phenomenon applies to certain cars. For example, the early 1990s 1.3 Corolla XLI

A car that was made so well that it could be run for decades by people who could not afford to spend a lot of money maintaining it, and it still keeps going strong and everyone knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Weight
    For certain products, people do equate weight with quality. Some models of beats headphones for example have weights in them to give them a premium feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

LOL

Lots of products carry metal or concrete inserts to add weight. Like Beats headphones

My personal favourite is still the Chinese Magical Hard Drives from 2011

Do not defy me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Weight
    For certain products, people do equate weight with quality. Some models of beats headphones for example have weights in them to give them a premium feel.

That's so stupid. Weight makes them more uncomfortable.

Hey wait a minute. COMFORT! That's it. Comfort = quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

More than two flushes to get it to go down, you know it was a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They have decent customer service.

If they're happy to hear about and help you with issues, it's because they know that they are a rare thing with the potential to damage the brand. Any company that is impossible to get a hold of the right person to discuss something with knows they have sh*t to hide from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

KungPao wrote: »
    San Bernardo, the mark of true quality.

Sergio Georgini.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

A box of quality street. It says so on the tin. Can’t be any clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Like those little buttons inside nice women's blouses that keep bra straps in place

: o
    I'm clearly not a nice woman, what are these insanely useful things you speak of?

Advertisement