Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Ireland always this bleek/depressing, or is it just me?

Options
  • 06-10-2020 7:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Holy smokes.

I visited some relatives over the weekend, from the old country, hadn't seen them in the longest time.

It's weird I was completely overcome with nostalgia.

Reminds me of when I was growing up, that environment.

I think we forget what a rain soaked dump Ireland was before had billions of euros pumped into our economy and became a home for multinational companies, by way of joining the european union.

Memories from childhood - a poorly insulated ice box house, dreary dull atmosphere, insane loco wildchild kids running about, raining outside and not a neon light for miles around.

See I ditched Ireland at every opportunity and bounced entirely when I was afforded the opportunity to do so.
    Not saying other cultures are necessarily a whole lot better, but Christ - I mean, I feel like that ruralism (which largely defines Ireland) needs to be injected with an eye rolling dose of meth.

I can't express my detest and loathing of the advocacy for that underdevelopment and quiet, cold, isolated rural living.

The most lively, upbeat, forward thinking, positive, productive atmosphere and fun city I've ever been is not Rome, not London, not New York - no.

But Amsterdam.

What separates Amsterdam as being in my mind, the optimized city, the optimized culture?
    It's not Dutch culture - hell no - rolling wheels of cheese through shopping malls and clopping along in wooden shoes - no.

It's that Amsterdam reflects a culture not of Holland, but a culture of integration.

What underpins this integration, is the collective attitude that defines the city - which is to have fun; open minded, liberal, but controlled, well kept, and well policed - state legitimized fun.

My point being, I hate historical Irish dullness and I think state legitimization of prostitution by way of a potential upcoming bill spearheaded by the Irish department of justice via Helen McEntee - could spark the most profound cultural revolution in the entire, bleek, oppressive history of our rain soaked little Atlantic Isle.

:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

I don't give a 'Dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

AVB did it better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

It’s definitely just you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Smee_Again wrote: »
    It’s definitely just you.

Oh yeah why?

Substantiate your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

jimboblep wrote: »
    AVB did it better

I think AVB loves Ireland - the seafood and cheese, the hurling, the expensive links golf courses, his tastefully decorated holiday home on the west coast etc. It's the majority of people on the island that he isn't too keen about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Jaysus were to start on this?

You live in Holland and call Ireland rain soaked?

Lived there for 7 years and hated the place.

All the towns look the same, all the houses are the same as redbrick colour. The people are lovely, and friendly but dull as dishwater. Regimented , conservative (despite Dutch reputation) and just don't know how to enjoy themselves.

Think Irish people have more "oomph" in them than most countries but definitely more than the Dutch.

As for Amsdterdam, it's ok but not for me. They're trying to get rid of prostitution and sex and drug tourists as the city wants to change its reputation and the problems that it brings.

Also, you talk about "billions being pumped" into ireland as if it was an accident or a benevolent act by other countries and/or corporations and nothing to do with Ireland's own successful economic policies..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

COVID wrote: »

A bleek is just something you get on a blird

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Well the winter, which lasts from October to May makes it seem that way, but otherwise it is utterly incomparable to the Ireland of 30+ years ago. I don't think anyone who remembers has forgotten that. If anything it'd be clear to them how much better things are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Were self-aggrandizing, condescending Boards trolling posts always this badly written/predictable, or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Holy Jesus, please tell us deprived some more stories of the far off land you have traveled?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

You've been smoking too much of the green stuff my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

See if you need neon lights, contrived entertainment, drugs and alcohol to consider a place worth living in, then yes rural Ireland is not the place for you.

So instead of trying to spread superior, totally humourless, gloom and despondency among those of us who live here and like the place, maybe just go back to wherever you are living at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Holy smokes.

I visited some relatives over the weekend, from the old country, hadn't seen them in the longest time.

It's weird I was completely overcome with nostalgia.

Reminds me of when I was growing up, that environment.

I think we forget what a rain soaked dump Ireland was before had billions of euros pumped into our economy and became a home for multinational companies, by way of joining the european union.

Memories from childhood - a poorly insulated ice box house, dreary dull atmosphere, insane loco wildchild kids running about, raining outside and not a neon light for miles around.

See I ditched Ireland at every opportunity and bounced entirely when I was afforded the opportunity to do so.
    Not saying other cultures are necessarily a whole lot better, but Christ - I mean, I feel like that ruralism (which largely defines Ireland) needs to be injected with an eye rolling dose of meth.

I can't express my detest and loathing of the advocacy for that underdevelopment and quiet, cold, isolated rural living.

The most lively, upbeat, forward thinking, positive, productive atmosphere and fun city I've ever been is not Rome, not London, not New York - no.

But Amsterdam.

What separates Amsterdam as being in my mind, the optimized city, the optimized culture?
    It's not Dutch culture - hell no - rolling wheels of cheese through shopping malls and clopping along in wooden shoes - no.

It's that Amsterdam reflects a culture not of Holland, but a culture of integration.

What underpins this integration, is the collective attitude that defines city - which is to have fun; open minded, liberal, but controlled, well kept, and well policed.

My point being, I hate historical Irish dullness and I think state legitimization of prostitution by way of a potential upcoming bill spearheaded by the Irish department of justice via Helen McEntee - could spark the most profound cultural revolution in the entire, bleek, oppressive history of our rain soaked little Atlantic Isle.

:eek:
    They are all stoned.

Amsterdam is grand btw I like it, dutch people are w tad dour to be honest. It isn't some utopia of integration it has its own issues around drugs especially

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Your post seems to be about rural vs urban rather than Irish vs the outside world. You claim that rural sentimentality dominates Ireland. But only in government policy and the media. Day to day life in Irish Cities are far from miserable, present pandemic excluded.

Also I'm gonna call bull on Amsterdam there. I do like the Dam but it's a poor cousin of Dublin in almost every respect. Amsterdams lively atmosphere has absolutely nothing to do with Dutch people who mostly hate themselves

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Ah Lappy, we've been here before.

You've dressed up a whole post with about a thousand words of distraction and fluff when all you really want to talk about is this
    I think state legitimization of prostitution by way of a potential upcoming bill spearheaded by the Irish department of justice via Helen McEntee - could spark the most profound cultural revolution

But of course you know the AH mods would not like that very much, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Op posts thread and takes off. Their probably balls deep in a hooker and on the bag. Tell us more op.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

North western European country in dull weather shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ireland is anything but bleak.
    We've experienced recessions and bad times but we always manage to pull through.
    Fir the most part the people are decent and we'll meaning .
    The scenery is some of the best you'll see anywhere.
    All depending on the type of person you are, but even nirvana could be deemed bleak if you choose to see it that way.
    If you don't like this country, nobody's asking you to visit or stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭3d4life

@OP if you want to live like The Dutch then go live in Holland

cgcsb wrote: »
    Your post seems to be about rural vs urban rather than Irish vs the outside world. You claim that rural sentimentality dominates Ireland. But only in government policy and the media. Day to day life in Irish Cities are far from miserable, present pandemic excluded.

Also I'm gonna call bull on Amsterdam there. I do like the Dam but it's a poor cousin of Dublin in almost every respect. Amsterdams lively atmosphere has absolutely nothing to do with Dutch people who mostly hate themselves

I don't know about hating themselves but yeah, that was half the point.

Amsterdam culture is not a function of dutch culture specifically - ironic as they built the city.

It's a function of integration, which maybe they were obliged to accommodate.

As for poor cousin of Dublin - hell no, laughably no.
    Public transport for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't know about hating themselves but yeah, that was half the point.

Amsterdam culture is not a function of dutch culture specifically - ironic as they built the city.

It's a function of integration, which maybe they were obliged to accommodate.

As for poor cousin of Dublin - hell no, laughably no.
    Public transport for starters.

Will legalising hoors make the buses run on time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Fair play the op finally got his hole. Amsterdam is lovely until the money runs out. Then back to dreary old Ireland with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Why would you compare rural Ireland from a few decades ago with the Sodom and Gomorrah that is Amsterdam, with its prostitution and drugs?

(I've nothing much against Amsterdam, but was only there twice.)

NcdJd wrote: »
    Fair play the op finally got his hole. Amsterdam is lovely until the money runs out. Then back to dreary old Ireland with ya.

"She wants muh willy!!" - how many times I've heard that expression adorned with a celtic accent, around the red parts, the ramparts.

"Good man!!"

"Great craic!!"

"Let's go for pints!!"

I hate this culture. Integration is the only way for me.

gmisk wrote: »
    They are all stoned.

Amsterdam is grand btw I like it, dutch people are w tad dour to be honest. It isn't some utopia of integration it has its own issues around drugs especially

It's not intergrated at all.

Anti immigration parties popular there for years.
    First with LPF (Lijst Pim Fortuyn) and it's leader was assassinated in 2002 during an election campaign. A sympathy vote swept the party to power in a chaotic coalition and then got wiped out.

Now we have PVV(Partij voor vrijheid, Freedom Party) led by Geert Wilders who is a controversial anti Islamist who argues against immigration and both parties claimed that immigrants don't integrate into Dutch society.

Netherlands has a reputation as a liberal, tolerant and exciting country but I found the opposite to be true and also Dutch people also seem to think they live in a perfect utopia as well.

Having been in the UK for some time OP I have to disagree - sure our weather paints a picture but the one thing I always missed while being away was the warmth of the people - even small talk with strangers - be it in a pub or just a shop. You could stop someone in the street in Ireland to ask for directions and not be blatantly ignored. Even when things are in a bad way we find humour in it - take the recession for example.

Will legalising hoors make the buses run on time?

No, they'd come on time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

"She wants muh willy!!" - how many times I've heard that expression adorned with a celtic accent, around the red parts, the ramparts.

"Good man!!"

"Great craic!!"

"Let's go for pints!!"

I hate this culture. Integration is the only way for me.

First time in Amsterdam? Go out after midnight and you'll experience the "integration" your so desire.

Advertisement