Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Timber frame home where to mount safe?

• 05-10-2020 10:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭

Will screws into a stud suffice? Have no block chimney nor a concrete floor. My proposal is into a left hand corner wall and screw to a stud on the side and back, I remember from construction the corners had layers of 4x2 so should get ground.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi a friend of mine had the same problem he ended up buying a sheet of steel fitting it to all the upright timbers drilled and bolted the safe to the steel re slabbed over the sheet with tec-7 then built a press around it firearms officer passed it for centrefire licence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭clivej

Yes. IMO.
    Find an upright stud a use a good size, long coach screw to fix your safe to the wall.
    Say a 10mm / 12mm x 80mm. Drill a pilot hole the size of the bolt shaft (not the threaded diameter). So for a 10mm drill 7mm, for the 12mm drill 9mm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

In fairness bolting to the studs is into the structural fabric of the building. Hard to argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Is there a concrete floor you can bolt the safe to? No rule says the safe has to be standing upright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

I bolted it into a left hand corner wall today. I put 10 coach bolts in. Surprisingly how easy it was to drill the safe. It’s rock solid now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    I bolted it into a left hand corner wall today. I put 10 coach bolts in. Surprisingly how easy it was to drill the safe. It’s rock solid now.

My CPO did his best to rip my safes out of the wall to see if they were secure when he was doing an inspection. He put his all into swinging out of them. Thankfully King Kong wouldn't budge these fcukers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Coach bolts into the joists, They'll have the door opened long before they get it off the wall.

If someone comes with tools to take the guns, a safe is only there to slow them down. safe doors are the weak spots.

Advertisement