Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dislocated shoulder

Options
  • 03-10-2020 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all I fell while running nearly 2 weeks ago. Dislocated shoulder. Had to be knocked out to have it put back in place as first attempt with gas&air didn’t work. Will be 2 weeks on Monday and I’m still in a lot of pain. Was told to wear sling for 4 weeks and physios will be in touch on week 4.
    Has this happened to anyone else? How long does it take for the pain to die down? I’m 42 and reasonably fit, I know everyone’s experience is different but would like an idea of what to expect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Hi all I fell while running nearly 2 weeks ago. Dislocated shoulder. Had to be knocked out to have it put back in place as first attempt with gas&air didn’t work. Will be 2 weeks on Monday and I’m still in a lot of pain. Was told to wear sling for 4 weeks and physios will be in touch on week 4.
    Has this happened to anyone else? How long does it take for the pain to die down? I’m 42 and reasonably fit, I know everyone’s experience is different but would like an idea of what to expect.

Done mine about 10 year ago and still to this day it's not 100 percent. It's the sorest injury I've ever had. Load up on the strong pain killers, rest up and most importantly do all the physio work etc when the time is right to build the strength back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jobseeker2016

rogieop wrote: »
    Done mine about 10 year ago and still to this day it's not 100 percent. It's the sorest injury I've ever had. Load up on the strong pain killers, rest up and most importantly do all the physio work etc when the time is right to build the strength back up.

Thanks for the reply ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Done mine about three years ago, when I came off the bike. I’m 41, hasn’t been right since. I’ve had trapped nerves, now have a bulge/slipped disc causing pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think its different for everyone.

I dislocated mine when i was 20 cycling into college.

But I didn't even need gas and air to have it put back in .i don't think it was a full dislocation. The doctor just wound my arm around and it popped back in like with a pop.

It swelled up twice its normal size though the next day and lots of bruising.

I was given anti inflamatories instead of pain killers. But when they ran out it was still a bit sore. The antinflamatories were given as my doctor felt they worked better than pain killers by taking the swelling down. They really worked.

When i took the sling off i didn't need any physio though.

Never really had any issues with it since.

I can't remember how long i was told to wear the sling ....but i think i took it off after 2 weeks...and after like 4 weeks it was perfect.

It was scary when it happened tho ..my whole shoulder was purple and swollen up!

Never had a problem after though.

I guess its different for all then.

Bicycles and shoulders... I broke my collarbone coming off one a few years ago. Hope it works out ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think its different for everyone.

I dislocated mine when i was 20 cycling into college.
    A body at 20 is very different than one at 40.
    I used to do a lot of crazy stuff at 20 and still do. But injuries take a lot more time to heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ted1 wrote: »
    A body at 20 is very different than one at 40.
    I used to do a lot of crazy stuff at 20 and still do. But injuries take a lot more time to heal.

She's right in that it can also depends on how much damage there was outside of the actual dislocation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Totally depends on the individual and the extent of the dislocation. Can be partial or full, front or back. Listen to the medics and do you physio.

Hope you feel better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

She's right in that it can also depends on how much damage there was outside of the actual dislocation though.
    yes ..also on the person ...

my body is fairly supple compared to a big guy just naturally my joints are very mobile but not hypermobile. I think that helps.

But you are right a dislocation can be more damaging depending on the accident etc. And the severity of the accident and damage to tissue. It can just be how hard you fell or the angle etc.
    Totally depends on the individual and the extent of the dislocation. Can be partial or full, front or back. Listen to the medics and do you physio.

Hope you feel better soon

mine was partial and to the front ...i put out my hand to stop myself falling into my face ....im glad i saved my face! :p

Bicycles and shoulders... I broke my collarbone coming off one a few years ago. Hope it works out ok.

Yeah i don't cycle now i am too scared!

Its highly individual OP. Be positive.

You WILL get better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

As other have said depends how badly you injured it.

I did mine quite badly in my youth, 18 or 19, took a long time to get it moving again. Mine was out the back. I remember it being partly paralyzed for many months. Probably took best part of 10yrs before it was trouble free. Was one of my more painful injuries, used to ache for years.

I do remember at one point having a lot of trouble with it. Turns out I was doing the wrong type of swimming stroke which made it worse. So good physio would be important.

Sounds like yours isn't too bad though. I've met people who had hardly any trouble with it, and almost no pain.

I haven't thought about it in years till reading this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jobseeker2016

Thanks everyone for giving your experiences. It’s so hard to be patient!!

Advertisement