Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Portfolio

• 02-10-2020 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Just thought i'd post my portfilio. It might be considered higher risk by some, but I am looking at the current situation as an oppertunity to take advantage of industires that will come back, provided the world doesn't end :D

What I like.

Dividend companies.
    Oil + Gas. I think oil will return and I am focused on low dept, low break even per barrell, good cash levels + Potential upside. Some oil companies will go out of business, less supply once corona passes etc.
    Aviation. Mainly Airports, very hard for Airport to go out of business, they have a natural MOAT & are usally expensive, Easyjet as they are in a decent financial position, a lot of cash, low interest rates (insolvent by market) so big upside potential.
    Tech - Great compaines.
    Berkshire - Undervalued, seen as boring but buying like an ETF without the negative tax implications of an ETF (In Ireland).

This is a 2-5 year play. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Falcon Minerals Corp
    EOG Resources
    Conoco Phillips
    Gazprom (Aware of Politics)
    ESJ (Possible Split)
    Fraport Airport
    FLUGHAFEN Airport
    Microsoft
    Alphabet
    Intel
    Berkshire

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Rainmann wrote: »
    Just thought i'd post my portfilio. It might be considered higher risk by some, but I am looking at the current situation as an oppertunity to take advantage of industires that will come back, provided the world doesn't end :D

What I like.

Dividend companies.
    Oil + Gas. I think oil will return and I am focused on low dept, low break even per barrell, good cash levels + Potential upside. Some oil companies will go out of business, less supply once corona passes etc.
    Aviation. Mainly Airports, very hard for Airport to go out of business, they have a natural MOAT & are usally expensive, Easyjet as they are in a decent financial position, a lot of cash, low interest rates (insolvent by market) so big upside potential.
    Tech - Great compaines.
    Berkshire - Undervalued, seen as boring but buying like an ETF without the negative tax implications of an ETF (In Ireland).

This is a 2-5 year play. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Falcon Minerals Corp
    EOG Resources
    Conoco Phillips
    Gazprom (Aware of Politics)
    ESJ (Possible Split)
    Fraport Airport
    FLUGHAFEN Airport
    Microsoft
    Alphabet
    Intel
    Berkshire

Pure speculation, it might do really well or it might wipe you out. And certainly not the way to go to achieve something say early retirement etc...

Oh and that moat thingy... hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Rainmann

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Pure speculation, it might do really well or it might wipe you out. And certainly not the way to go to achieve something say early retirement etc...

Oh and that moat thingy... hilarious.

I've done quite a bit of research on downside in different senarios. Risk reward is really appealling. It's 2-5 years play so would be more interested in people doing something similar rather than people investing in bonds and ETF's, cheers though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I've done quite a bit of research on downside in different senarios. Risk reward is really appealling. It's 2-5 years play so would be more interested in people doing something similar rather than people investing in bonds and ETF's, cheers though.

How said anything about investing in bonds and ETF... research should show you that there are opportunities out there that will deliver good returns without just loading up on high risk equities in the hope that the might do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Oil is a very bad investment at the moment.
    The best you can hope for is a “turnaround” where an oil company leads the way in “decarbonisation” and basically reinvent itself.

Maybe BP can do this?

A lot of ETFs and insurance companies are not investing in oil companies under the aspect of the environment damage they do.

As I mentioned above if you choose the correct turnaround candidate you might make money - otherwise avoid oil

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Rainmann

Sorolla wrote: »
    Oil is a very bad investment at the moment.
    The best you can hope for is a “turnaround” where an oil company leads the way in “decarbonisation” and basically reinvent itself.

Maybe BP can do this?

A lot of ETFs and insurance companies are not investing in oil companies under the aspect of the environment damage they do.

As I mentioned above if you choose the correct turnaround candidate you might make money - otherwise avoid oil

Yep, that's correct, many funds avoiding oil. In the short term oil is going to be volitile, there is no real getting around that. Oil prices will pretty much dictate the price of the stocks. Oil is going to be with us for decades and we will see prices getting to 50, 60+ per barrell, we just don't know when. My focus is on companies with low debt, high cash and low break even per barrell, BP wouldn't fit into this. For example conocophillips could survice 2.5 years on their cash alone and have a really low break even per barrell so may not even need to dip into this cash - The survial of conocophillips is highly likely. When prices/ the economy does eventually return to normality, there will be significant upside. Industry wide, massive risk I agree, but I am trying to be more targeted within the industry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement