Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for beer suggestions - that do not contain maize

Options
  • 02-10-2020 7:26pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the slightly weird question.
    I'm fond of Peroni- I'm quite fond of the slightly citrus taste and its very easy to drink. However, I am intolerant to maize- and maize seems to be a major constituent part of a lot of the imported beers. I can drink the German beers- without issue- but they're just not as flavoursome as Peroni.

Any suggestions for a nice import beer that does not contain maize.

I don't actually drink a lot- so I don't really care about the price, providing its got a nice full body flavour, possibly a double helping of hops, nice citrus after-taste- and goes well with different kinds of food.

Its not really a tall order- but I'd be grateful for any suggestions you might have.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Which German beers have you tried?

Also, any reason you've ruled out Irish beers? I can't think of one which uses maize and you'll find plenty of nice citrusy pale ales.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm not ruling out Irish beers- by any means- and have had some fun trying out a significant number of them.
    I'm specifically looking for something akin to Peroni- but a little more hoppy and without maize.
    As for German beers- I worked in Germany for a number of years (and also studied in Freiburg)- I couldn't even begin to list the different German offerings that I've tried (many of which would have been small batch breweries- akin to Brauerei Ganter etc. My biggest issue is that they're not easy to get over here.)

I have Crohn's- which is exacerbated by maize- which is why I'm trying to avoid Maize- and I don't actually drink a lot (as it messes up my Crohns- the max I can handle without ending up in A&E is probably 2 500ml bottles- any more and I'm in trouble.)

Yes- I know I shouldn't drink if it causes me medical issues- however, I guess whenever you can't have something, it is all the more tempting to take it.........

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Fair enough. Eight Degrees have an Italian Pils out at the minute. I've not had it but I'm guessing it's similar to Peroni. https://www.eightdegrees.ie/italian-pils/

Would also maybe recommend the likes of Mikeller or To Ol pilsners, they would be nice clean lagers with a hoppier than usual flavour. Craft Central have a good selection of them.

Advertisement