Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ways we can deal with Antisocial Behaviour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,564 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Far less common where I am than it used to be. Instead of congregating outside in the evenings like 20 or 30 years ago, the young people are mostly indoors playing computer games these day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Stop the parents Social Welfare/Dole/Benefits.

95% of the problem stops overnight.

Kids are kept in line.

What will that do? Only lead to more deprivation.

Such a low hanging fruit solution

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Valresnick wrote: »
    Seems to be on the rise, or else it’s just media reporting on it more often. Check Dublinlive for an example, each day there are stories of roaming gangs running amok in Dublin.

So what’s the solution ? Is it time the state intervened and perhaps made young teens do a years military service or volunteer work etc, or have we gone so soft that we should just leave them alone in case we upset them ?

The A-Team:If you have a problem,if no one else can help and if you can find them maybe you can hire the A-Team.

The Equalizer: "Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer: 212 555 4200.

Cheaper options would be The Famous five or Jessica Fletcher.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What will that do? Only lead to more deprivation.

Or encourage parents to not raise kids that are toe rags.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

The youngfella who shoved that woman into the canal and his friends who racial abused her all have working parents, so the "cut the dole" solution won't always work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

We are far too reactive in Ireland, always looking to punish rather than invest and look at ways we can be proactive.

There is feck all to do in Ireland once your past playground age. Not that I am excusing anti social behavior. But give these kids somewhere to be, something to do and something to be part of and I bet we would see alot of them channel their energy into something positive.

We cant all be from good homes where our parents are supportive and available. For lots of kids/teens they are left to their own devices. Early intervention could see a very different outcome which would benefit whole communities.

There are also those who are from generations of troublesome families. I would imagine it to be far more difficult to change the path for one of those kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Hire the Gardai from retired American police officers.

Hire the gardai from fired American police officers

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

jrosen wrote: »

There is feck all to do in Ireland once your past playground age. Not that I am excusing anti social behavior. But give these kids somewhere to be, something to do and something to be part of and I bet we would see alot of them channel their energy into something positive.

Gibberish, what do kids in other countries have access to that kids in ireland dont? every area, including and especially "deprived" areas, have youth clubs, sports clubs etc. These kids are reared wrong, their parents are trash so they act like trash, bad is good, bad is fun, going to clubs and doing sports is for losers, it's a myopic outlook that it bred into them, they want to stand around on corners and hassle people, if they see something they can burn they start a fire, if they can get their hands on drink/drugs they do, if they can get into a robbed car they will, so unless the magical hand of government provides underaged drinking venues and rally/scrambler tracks for them, they're not going to care about what's already on offer, but yeah they'll yell "ders no ficilitiies" when they're taken to task over their scummy behaviour every time.

Keep social welfare payment consistently 20% below UK social welfare rates. The problems will then migrate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Making actual laws that forbid it explicitly, punishments strong enough to discourage the act and a police force and judiciary willing to actually enforce and support the law. Everything else is just flapping in the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

How about birth control

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭malinheader

upupup wrote: »
    The A-Team:If you have a problem,if no one else can help and if you can find them maybe you can hire the A-Team.

The Equalizer: "Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer: 212 555 4200.

Cheaper options would be The Famous five or Jessica Fletcher.
    If it is really bad Charles Bronson, death wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Stop child benefit after 6 children .
    There's no need for any further child benefit. Could be stopped in 2022 giving people plenty of time to decide to get preggers or not.
    Instead allow more tax reflief for working mums and dads.
    Give kids some facilities outside to play in / with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Seems to be on the rise, or else it’s just media reporting on it more often. Check Dublinlive for an example, each day there are stories of roaming gangs running amok in Dublin.

So what’s the solution ? Is it time the state intervened and perhaps made young teens do a years military service or volunteer work etc, or have we gone so soft that we should just leave them alone in case we upset them ?

Firstly, Dublinlive is prime clickbait.

Personally, I'd be against the state making life decisions on behalf of anyone given it's track record.

There is no cure for antisocial behaviour. There never has been. The death penalty didn't solve it. I fail to see how a year in the army will cure anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

To be honest, having a load of antisocial scrotes proficient in weapons and combat probably isn't going to be a solution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Gibberish, what do kids in other countries have access to that kids in ireland dont? every area, including and especially "deprived" areas, have youth clubs, sports clubs etc. These kids are reared wrong, their parents are trash so they act like trash, bad is good, bad is fun, going to clubs and doing sports is for losers, it's a myopic outlook that it bred into them, they want to stand around on corners and hassle people, if they see something they can burn they start a fire, if they can get their hands on drink/drugs they do, if they can get into a robbed car they will, so unless the magical hand of government provides underaged drinking venues and rally/scrambler tracks for them, they're not going to care about what's already on offer, but yeah they'll yell "ders no ficilitiies" when they're taken to task over their scummy behaviour every time.

I dont disagree with you by the way that there are sectors of society that are problematic.
    I live in a very nice area and we dont have a youth club. We have absolutely nothing.
    Ive also lived abroad with my family and we were surrounded by football parks/basketball courts/ outdoor pools, huge amounts of funding went into recreational areas for the local communities. Im sure there are areas of Ireland that are well equipped but equally there are areas that have nothing.

If you add to that parents who are uninterested then without guidance or help from someone else Im not surprised kids go rogue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

In Singapore they caine the reprobates.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In Singapore they caine the reprobates.

That might work.

86fa1de70b35ad8dc33492eca46649d5.jpg

To be honest, having a load of antisocial scrotes proficient in weapons and combat probably isn't going to be a solution

It's funny as I have been working with some local kids who were - pretty damn antisocial to the point of terrorising little old women and worse.

And since I started working with them I have been doing a lot with them - and one of the main things I have been doing is training them to fight and use some weapons. It is a kind of "Jedi school" so they are getting taught everything we can under that curriculum.

And actually the turn around has been amazing. They have become completely different people over the time I have been with them. They are now helping those very same little old people and much more.

Do I think this will work in all cases with all kids? Not so much I think - but sometimes kids lacking the proper guidance can completely turn around when they get a little.

I met many of their parents. Some of them are scum. As people on this thread seem to want to expect. But others are not. They are just - over whelmed. They have the best of intentions but fail to meet them. And it is pretty tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

It's funny as I have been working with some local kids who were - pretty damn antisocial to the point of terrorising little old women and worse.

And since I started working with them I have been doing a lot with them - and one of the main things I have been doing is training them to fight and use some weapons. It is a kind of "Jedi school" so they are getting taught everything we can under that curriculum.

And actually the turn around has been amazing. They have become completely different people over the time I have been with them. They are now helping those very same little old people and much more.

Do I think this will work in all cases with all kids? Not so much I think - but sometimes kids lacking the proper guidance can completely turn around when they get a little.

I met many of their parents. Some of them are scum. As people on this thread seem to want to expect. But others are not. They are just - over whelmed. They have the best of intentions but fail to meet them. And it is pretty tragic.

Programs to help troubled kids are great but I think we also need accountability. Most of these guys know there are zero repercussions for their actions. They also have absolutely no fear of the law or getting caught. Governing parties need to nip that in the bud or else Dublin’s gang problem will become uncontrollable. It’s probably not far off now. I think fining parents isn’t such a bad idea but will never be brought in in this country. We are gone so soft on discipline, the teens know this so we are probably now fighting a losing battle unless a new party moves in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

tastyt wrote: »
    Build more prisons

Don’t have scrotes with 50 convictions roaming the streets

Stop the bleeding heart / let’s help these poor unfortunates approach and get tough on crime and anti social behaviour

If they have no fear or respect for the guards or the law do you honestly think they will have any respect for the rest of us ?

This, enable the law to be a deterrent. In other words, have available prison places for those who commit crimes so that suspended sentences aren’t handed out like sweeties to hardened criminals, repeat offenders and those committing violent crimes.

I disagree about penalizing parents re: dole cuts, if a young person of 19, robs a car and wrecks it, and you hit the parents in the pocket, the parents have a 16 year old and a 13 year old also, you are hitting those kids too, they need a holiday, clothes, food, school books, entertainment, essentials....

It’s crap if a parent fails, but you are putting the opportunity for them to fail their other kids by taking away resources with which to help and parent.

Then again maybe the parents did a great job and the kid, well, fûcked up ! All on him / her.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Force is the only thing some of them understand. Corporal punishment for crimes would immediately stop a lot of anti social behaviour.

They don't fear the state or the application of the law. Imagine if you were whipped for 3 criminal offences or the death penalty for drug dealing.

But at the very least, curfews and GPS trackers on anti social offenders during any probation or suspended sentence.

We have many uninhabited offshore islands that were previously inhabited. Drop them off with some simple tools, seed potatoes, a tent, and a crate(100kg) of tinned food and tell them the boat will be back in 5 years for 1 hour only.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We have many uninhabited offshore islands that were previously inhabited. Drop them off with some simple tools, seed potatoes, a tent, and a crate(100kg) of tinned food and tell them the boat will be back in 5 years for 1 hour only.

Interesting movie, should do well at the box office

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Interesting movie, should do well at the box office

Its a really old style punishment.

Its a really old style punishment.

No offence, but it sounds kinna stupid, but maybe a good movie plot

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    No offence, but it sounds kinna stupid, but maybe a good movie plot

What is stupid? Scumbags get to avoid a prison cell. We get to avoid scumbags. And if the scumbag survives playing Robinson Crusoe, the recidivism rate will be low. And the scumbag may luck out and be sent to Circe's island.

What is stupid? Scumbags get to avoid a prison cell. We get to avoid scumbags. And if the scumbag survives playing Robinson Crusoe, the recidivism rate will be low

It isn't a way of truly dealing with complex and dysfunctional human behaviour, it's just a dream, a fantasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Car buyer.

Didn't new York already show the way on this with zero-tolerance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭bigroad

Put them in cage suspended over the Liffey and lower it twice a day for them to wash and drink some river water.

Advertisement