Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display technology for TV's

Options
  • 01-10-2020 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Looking at buying a new TV for watching television, movies and gaming for consoles and maybe PC but, dunno what I should I be going for from the following

LED (light-emitting diode), OLED (organic light emitting-diode) and AMOLED (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode)

QLED (quantum dot light emitting diode)

What is the best for what I need ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

STEE wrote: »
    Looking at buying a new TV for watching television, movies and gaming for consoles and maybe PC but, dunno what I should I be going for from the following

LED (light-emitting diode), OLED (organic light emitting-diode) and AMOLED (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode)

QLED (quantum dot light emitting diode)

What is the best for what I need ?

Amoled is just a marketing term for Samsung OLED but Samsung don't make Oled TVs, it's exclusive to their mobile devices. All OLED panels are active matrix, so Oled and Amoled are the same technology but just different marketing terms the different companies use. LG is the only maker of TV Oled panels. So you can rule Samsung oled or as Samsung don't make oled TVs.

Qled is again Samsung's marketing team for its LED/LCD technology do is ultimately the same technology you'll find in tut cheapest TVs only they make better used of the LED backlights to produce the level of contrast and deep black levels other LCD TVs can't. But no matter how good Qled is it'll never match the deep blacks and high contrast of Oled as it well requires a backlight to light the pixels all there will be a degree of blooming in very dark scenes. The one major advantage Qled has over oled is that it can get far brighter than oled so it's perfect for very bright rooms. If brightness is very important to you or you're the type that likes to keep the TV playing in the background all day or pay games with HUD displays for many hours every day, and you watch TV in very bright rooms then get Qled as qled gives the best brightness and you don't have to worry about burn in from static images from live TV running all day, but if superior picture quality is what is important to you than Oled is the only way.

For me personally, it's Oled all day, even more important now in this HDR era where neither HDR content can expose blooming and poorer contrast in even the best Qled/LCD TV

Advertisement