Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop for business/Programming

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If it's your only machine and it's work critical you might want to consider upgrading the service warranty. Im assuming as a contractor you're paying for it yourself.

beauf wrote: »
    Actually my point was about the keyboard and screen not just about the xps.

Personally I'm a big fan of 17" laptops. Really like the 2020 XPS 17. Pity they only come with 4 usb ports. My old 17 had 6 usb ports. My current one only has one usb 3.0. So stingy.

the magicbook pro is 16 inch screen size

vs the xps 17 it's an absolute no brainer to go for the magicbook pro especially given the massive price difference

the xps 17 starts at over 1800 and that's for the poverty spec -> for a fair bit less powerful 10300h i5 intel cpu, less ram, smaller ssd.

the decent ones start at €2500!! over 3 times the OP budget

the keyboard is quality on the pro and again the screen is good.

The reason for that is there is vast difference in spec not least because it has a 2060 in it, a class leading display.

If don't need, or notice it, thats OK, it not for everyone. I didn't say it was suited to the OP.

The reason for that is there is vast difference in spec not least because it has a 2060 in it, a class leading display.

If don't need, or notice it, thats OK, it not for everyone. I didn't say it was suited to the OP.

eh, it's over €1800 with no discrete video card, for the dell XPS 17. the integrated graphics of the 900 euro magicbook pro with AMD 4600h would stomp all over the intel igpu.

it's over €2500 for a 1650ti-based dell XPS 17 which is an entry level video card

see here for the prices

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/cty/...ations_section

RTX 2060 is not at all near being class-leading btw, its mid-range. you have the RTX 2070, RTX 2070 Super and 2080 above it.

and it's over 3000 euro for the xps 17 with the RTX 2060.

it's pretty bad value whichever way you look at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

PMBC wrote: »
    Such a disappointment.
    Bennyineire is not the farmer Benny that I thought he was. Of course it could be his son!
    It could be benie and the jets

• Advertisement

Forget intels 10 gen laptops new
    11th-generation Intel Core processors, are coming out which the chipmaker said can best rival AMD’s Ryzen 4000 chips across multiple tests.

https://www.crn.com/slide-shows/components-peripherals/the-coolest-laptops-using-intel-s-new-tiger-lake-processors

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    11th-generation Intel Core processors, are coming out which the chipmaker said can best rival AMD’s Ryzen 4000 chips across multiple tests.

https://www.crn.com/slide-shows/components-peripherals/the-coolest-laptops-using-intel-s-new-tiger-lake-processors

No clue on any products or prices? As usual

There is always something new coming out every year but until you have actual product reviews and prices it offers no basis for comparison to what is currently available.

Just spam in the meantime

glasso wrote: »
    eh, it's over €1800 with no discrete video card, for the dell XPS 17. the integrated graphics of the 900 euro magicbook pro with AMD 4600h would stomp all over the intel igpu.

it's over €2500 for a 1650ti-based dell XPS 17 which is an entry level video card

see here for the prices

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/cty/...ations_section

RTX 2060 is not at all near being class-leading btw, its mid-range. you have the RTX 2070, RTX 2070 Super and 2080 above it.

and it's over 3000 euro for the xps 17 with the RTX 2060.

it's pretty bad value whichever way you look at it.

I said class leading DISPLAY and I wasn't referring to the base spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Actually my point was about the keyboard and screen not just about the xps.

Personally I'm a big fan of 17" laptops. Really like the 2020 XPS 17. Pity they only come with 4 usb ports. My old 17 had 6 usb ports. My current one only has one usb 3.0. So stingy.

Would a USB hub not help?
    I got one for a tenner from Curry's....4 extra ports to the two built in

• Advertisement

Be interesting to see what turns up...

https://youtu.be/2vaVH0SJa3s

Steve F wrote: »
    Would a USB hub not help?
    I got one for a tenner from Curry's....4 extra ports to the two built in

Yeah I have one. But it hard to get decent throughout on USB 3 with them, and power for portable drives is problematic might need a usb splitter or AC power and now it's a cable spaghetti and a pita.

Another thing they do is give you Usb c port but it's used for power. So you lose the port. On the Magicbook Prob you only have that one port. On the xps it brings you back to 1 or 3 ports. Yeah they are only niggles and there are workarounds. Just very meh.

Then some people are happy with MacBook Air and only one shared port.

I said class leading DISPLAY and I wasn't referring to the base spec.

2060 you said.

That is a graphics card

No display is worth 1000 to 2000 euro more ffs

The magicbook display is 100% sRGB so is already accurate enough for video or photo work.

The xps 17 pricing over in Europe is plain bad value in comparison to the competition

No clue on any products or prices? As usual

There is always something new coming out every year but until you have actual product reviews and prices it offers no basis for comparison to what is currently available.

Just spam in the meantime

They are coming out soon in Ireland they are selling 3- 4 year old slow CPUs at high prices you need to wait until December if you can to buy a laptop or your going to be stuck with a slow one

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2020/09/30/first-retail-intel-tiger-lake-powered-laptop-from-asus-impresses/

... not least because it has a 2060 in it, a class leading display. ...

There was a comma...hard to see on some screens maybe. ..it's just nits picking...

They are coming out soon in Ireland they are selling 3- 4 year old slow CPUs at high prices you need to wait until December if you can to buy a laptop or your going to be stuck with a slow one

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2020/09/30/first-retail-intel-tiger-lake-powered-laptop-from-asus-impresses/

Slow is a relative term.

There was a comma...hard to see on some screens maybe. ..it's just nits picking...

exactly I saw the comma - hence your mistake as you don't understand punctuation as it should have been AND a class leading display.

by not using that and using a comma you are effectively describing further your previous attribute - i.e. the 2060 card

I forgot your username but now I remember - you have a habit of coming onto threads and going nowhere near the subject of the original poster's request for actual options and going off on tangents.....

same in this case....

exactly I saw the comma .....

Of course you did ;) There's a whole load of other differences on those high end, machines. But most people can't see past the CPU.

Really the only point I was making when I'm coding I find other things, than just the CPU, important. For example I prefer the taller 16:10 aspect ratio. Even the base model HD screen has 500nits.

Of course you did ;) There's a whole load of other differences on those high end, machines. But most people can't see past the CPU.

Really the only point I was making when I'm coding I find other things, than just the CPU, important. For example I prefer the taller 16:10 aspect ratio. Even the base model HD screen has 500nits.

that's not your original tangent

it was
    If it were me I'd stretch to Dell XPS 2020. I like the screens and keyboards.

Though if I'm doing any serious dev work I need a big screen, preferably two. So I have a laptop dock. But I remote into a desktop machine do to dev work. The laptop for me it's only a window to that machine. Or I need to a quick job for someone.

https://youtu.be/2SfSUjxNHtE

Current work laptop is a hp pro 14" Ryzen. Can't fault it really. But it's not my main Dev machine.

Depends how much you need to portable though..

I also have a 13" with a 4k screen and that resolution can be handy to see everything at times. Normally I work in 1080. Just easier on the eyes. Also have a cheap 17' but the quality on the screen is so poor I never use. I might upgrade the screen

the cheapest model is 1500 euro with 8gb ram for the xps 13. it's 1800 for the xps 17.

how that was relevant to a poster saying that his budget was 800 max I have no idea - because it is of no relevance at all.

And then you saying that you would be docking it to a monitor, yet going on about screens.

Jesus, you can't even remember the shyte you post and contradicting yourself.

I won't forget your username now and just ignore this sort of irrelevant tangental stuff in the future.

Yeah pretty all of what you quoted is all about screens. Bit one tracked.

I was just listing my experience of coding on difference sized screens. I didn't buy or spec (or ask for) the work laptop.

You don't have to reply. Just ignore me :) click the ignore button.

• Advertisement

Yeah pretty all of what you quoted is all about screens. Bit one tracked.

You don't have to reply. Just ignore me :) click the ignore button.

That's my thinking alright

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a new laptop for me, I've started work as a contractor as I.T. Support and Software Dev...
    Intended use: programming, development,...

Do you really work all day on a 13" screen doing development?

Dell all the way, when it comes to a business spec machine.
    The next business day support cannot be matched by any other vendor on this Island.

You have to account when things go Pete Tong.

NoDrama wrote: »
    Dell all the way, when it comes to a business spec machine.
    The next business day support cannot be matched by any other vendor on this Island.

You have to account when things go Pete Tong.

That's what I was thinking. Especially if contracting.
    I've not used Dell support for a while though.
    If it's your only machine and it's work critical you might want to consider upgrading the service warranty. Im assuming as a contractor you're paying for it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Do you really work all day on a 13" screen doing development?

Of course not, I have a docking station and 2 screens

Beast of the laptop for the money

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/honor-magicbook-pro-2020-16-inch-laptop#:~:text=Final%20verdict&text=On%20the%20whole%20though%2C%20the,rounded%20and%20polished%20computing%20experience.
    this is the fastest non-workstation laptop we have tested to date The combination of a very fast processor, a capable graphics subsystem, ample system memory and a nippy SSD mean.s that this is a supremely capable laptop that will easily take on the mantle of a mobile workstation.

Advertisement