Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get addicted to street drugs through prescribed pain relief?

Options
  • 30-09-2020 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I couldn't believe the unofficial stats I heard from a police officer in the USA

He said 90% of the heroin users he meets told him they started on oxycontin and the like.

Easy enough to see how it starts with pain and then you.migrate to the cheaper opoids on the street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Welcome back Mr.

Its been a while.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Yes. Yes I did Officer. Do you need my Eircode?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Hello fellow drug user, do you have any narcotics I can purchase from you ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Massive problem in the so called "rust belt" (former hubs of heavy industry) due to workplace injuries (and other factors). Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and the former coal mining regions of Kentucky and West Virginia.

Apparently some fella by the name of Trump is gonna sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

It is a good question though, it seems the problem is with the type of drug prescribed and it’s strength in the us, oxy is apparently very addictive, and overprescribed in the us. Compare that to Ireland, if there is any overprescribing here then its most likely Valium, which would be cheaper getting from a doctor than purchasing off the street, so not many would end up as a street addict.

Maybe morphine would be in the same category as oxy, but I’ve never heard of anyone getting prescribed that for any prolonged period of time here for anything other than cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Webuser.

Massive problem in the so called "rust belt" (former hubs of heavy industry) due to workplace injuries (and other factors). Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and the former coal mining regions of Kentucky and West Virginia.

Makes sense , work related injuries and prob not enough health insurance

The story went that the Mexican cartels spotted the market for the cheaper heroin replacement for the prescription drugs and went for it.About 1/3 of the cost of the prescribed medication.

There's prob a bigger picture to all this

begbysback wrote: »
    It is a good question though, it seems the problem is with the type of drug prescribed and it’s strength in the us, oxy is apparently very addictive, and overprescribed in the us. Compare that to Ireland, if there is any overprescribing here then its most likely Valium, which would be cheaper getting from a doctor than purchasing off the street, so not many would end up as a street addict.

Maybe morphine would be in the same category as oxy, but I’ve never heard of anyone getting prescribed that for any prolonged period of time here for anything other than cancer.

The problem started with the aggressive marketing of very addictive pain relief

The pharmaceutical companies kept the addictive side of it under wraps in pursuit of profut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

those oxy are very moreish

Another interesting thing is that the heroin began to be laced with fentanyl by the cartels

Now in some places you can only get fentanyl ,.there is no heroin available on the street at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Big problem in USA, but you can get really strong stuff over the counter there, and they can prescribe stuff that is illegal in the EU.

Mad stuff Ted ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Webuser. wrote: »
    The problem started with the aggressive marketing of very addictive pain relief

The pharmaceutical companies kept the addictive side of it under wraps in pursuit of profut

There have been a few eye opening documentaries on Netflix in the past year regarding the opiate problem in the US, the pharmacist is one, some others too, also Heroin cape cod on YouTube is very good, all have the same common theme where users start out on oxy, and if I remember correctly ossie Osbornes son had a problem with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

greenspurs wrote: »
    Welcome back Mr.

Its been a while.

There is a subtle aroma of Feg...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Prescription pain killers are a scourge especially opioids.

In the 90s doctors were against them and they were known to be addictive and the 2000s hit and it all changed....
    Big big money to be made and prescribe as much as possible....

Its really sad to see people's lives ruined and families destroyed over it.

Seen a documentary on it where 2 sisters got hooked after one was in a crash and was given opioids to help with back pain she moved onto harder drugs and then got her sister on them too. These sisters were brought up well and had a very good life and pissed it all away from the addiction, one died and the other was going to rehab after rehab.. very very sad to see such waste

Prescription pain killers are a scourge especially opioids.

In the 90s doctors were against them and they were known to be addictive and the 2000s hit and it all changed....
    Big big money to be made and prescribe as much as possible....

Its really sad to see people's lives ruined and families destroyed over it.

Seen a documentary on it where 2 sisters got hooked after one was in a crash and was given opioids to help with back pain she moved onto harder drugs and then got her sister on them too. These sisters were brought up well and had a very good life and pissed it all away from the addiction, one died and the other was going to rehab after rehab.. very very sad to see such waste

I've been in rehab twice and by comparison the main ones I seen here is the addiction to the nurofen type drugs available over the counter

The other major change I seen was the increase in cocaine addiction nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Dirty bleedin' junkies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I've been in rehab twice and by comparison the main ones I seen here is the addiction to the nurofen type drugs available over the counter

Ibuprofen (nurofen) is not addictive.

I seriously doubt anyone with an addiction that has been in rehab twice wouldn't know what drugs are moreish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No shxt sherlock.

They all produce the same high.

Prescribed medicine are just as 'good' if not better or stronger than weed or other relaxants, or even stimulants

Dont know why you see them as a stepping stone...

When I used to 'like' drugs I would rather take Lyrica than smoke a joint. The effects were honestly euphoric, made me a better person (in my eyes back then)

Vic_08 wrote: »

I seriously doubt anyone with an addiction that has been in rehab twice wouldn't know what drugs are moreish.

Maybe I got the name wrong it's not my addiction

They spend their time or did travelling to different pharmacies throughout the day

In the span of 20 years between my 2 stints in rehab the biggest change was the number of people with cocaine+alcohol addictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Vic_08 wrote: »

Nurofen plus is laced with codeine

• Advertisement

Nurofen plus is laced with codeine

A lad I used to talk to his liver was wrecked , he wasn't that old

Worked a 9-5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Has resulted in a decline of the average life expectancy (year on year), in the world's most powerful and wealthy nation.
    A problem long, long before Trump ever came to power.
    'BigPharma' is the bad guy here.

In the span of 20 years between my 2 stints in rehab the biggest change was the number of people with cocaine+alcohol addictions

Better to be a web user than a drug user I say, although there must be a few scorch marks from being nuked off this site numerous times.

There are so many drugs I can't take due to what I work at....

Oddly enough, it's one of the few areas where Trump has followed through on his promises. The FDA under Bush and Obama were way too swayed by pharma companies like Purdue. Trump's appointee to the FDA actually put a rein on the widespread opioid prescribing. Unfortunately it's about a decade too late because as pointed out, heroin has come in.

Obama's administration had a massive blindspot for the problem, seeing it as a user problem and not a crisis caused by mass prescribing, even after the CDC called it an epidemic in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,113 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A lad I used to talk to his liver was wrecked , he wasn't that old

Worked a 9-5
    I like Saabs.

Not your ornery onager

Oddly enough, it's one of the few areas where Trump has followed through on his promises. The FDA under Bush and Obama were way too swayed by pharma companies like Purdue. Trump's appointee to the FDA actually put a rein on the widespread opioid prescribing. Unfortunately it's about a decade too late because as pointed out, heroin has come in.

Obama's administration had a massive blindspot for the problem, seeing it as a user problem and not a crisis caused by mass prescribing, even after the CDC called it an epidemic in 2011.

20 years to late.... People became addicted then found it was much cheaper to get heroin etc as the prescription prices increased

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Too many reefer addicts in this country to bother with the hard stuff. Too stoned to care.

20 years to late.... People became addicted then found it was much cheaper to get heroin etc as the prescription prices increased

And now fentanyl is taking over from heroin, slowly but surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Maybe I got the name wrong it's not my addiction

They spend their time or did travelling to different pharmacies throughout the day

You're probably thinking of solphadene, apparently very addictive to some people.

Advertisement