We've partnered up with to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from and get an exclusive discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Covid family issues

  • 28-09-2020 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ Pinoy adventure

    Covid is causing major family issues for us.let me explain.

    My mother is in poor health and 1 of my siblings live with her.she is in very poor condition sibling lives with there partner & 2 children in the house also.

    My mother was confined in hospital for 1 week and is ready too go home but 1 of my siblings children has started too show signs of Covid,dry chesty cough,high temp etc and is awaiting a Covid test.
    My siblings partner also has some sort of infection with a dry cough etc so finally called the doctor too & waiting for a phone consilatation with doctor.

    What should we do ? Would it be ok too ask sibling & family too move out for a while ? Should my mother stay with another sibling while the others recover ? (It's her home after all).

    The sibling living with mom takes care of her and is saving too buy a home in the further.

    Any advice would be great.
    Thank you

    Stressed out & worried


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭ Away With The Fairies

    If you asked your sibling to move out with symptoms, it would involve looking for a place and meeting a landlord and probably spreading covid on. Now isn't the time to get them to move. That is what I think. Your mother staying with another sibling would be the better option. It's just for a few weeks anyway.

  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭ igCorcaigh

    I would raise my concerns with the hospital prior to your mother's release.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭ Talisman

    If two people in the home have symptoms then it would be best to assume they are carrying the virus until it is proved otherwise. Asking them to move out isn't going to resolve anything and is only going to lead to further stress and potentially expose more people to the virus.

    The best advice would be to advise the hospital of the situation and if needs be sort out alternative accommodation for your mother.

    If the partner or child have the virus then it's not safe for your mother to return to the home until the risk of infection has passed and the home has been scrubbed clean.

    My sister got infected because her daughter had neglected to clean the button on their fridge that dispenses cold water, a simple thing like that is a real danger to people at risk from the virus.

  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ bobbyy gee

    You need to bring your mother some where else first you can can't expect the sick covid people to move the have to isolate also they will have infected the house and the house will need cleaning every surface disinfected about 2 day job in hazmat suits

  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭ Sardonicat

    Yourself or one of your other siblings can have your mother to stay until it is safe to return to the house. It's incredibly unfair to ask her carer and family to move out under these circumstances not to mention very risky on terms of spreading the virus. Your sister is her carer, who would have been looking after your mother up now if your sister wasn't? I doubt the hospital will keep your mother if she's fit for release.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ Pinoy adventure

    Thanks for the was let out yesterday and stayed in another siblings home last night.
    The sibling who lives with mom is her carer.
    The carer and partner and children are all getting tested today & towmorrow for
    A deep clean will be done befour mom arrives too her home.
    The doctor told carer it might be a viral infection but this is another red flag because mom cannot afford too get a viral infection either