Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney & Cormac O hEadhra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,134 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They have definitely upped it recently. Too much IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Agree totally, it’s gone to the dogs and almost unlistenable to.

You have that guffawing baboon O’hEadhra trying to wreck every cringeworthy effort to ‘do the banter’ It doesn’t fokking work

They are then peddling 51551 contact ab initio and trying to give the impression of ‘rivalry ‘ between the two presenters.

Its sinking into a swamp of bulldust and has now marinated into a cheap imitation of rubbish for the masses with nothing to do with good reportage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Don’t like the production values and the presentation style Breener.

Mary Wilson could do a two hour show with no problem in the past, while not everyone’s cup of tea, she got through it without the dumbing down and cringeworthy bolloxology that goes on on the current presentation.

Nobody give a fohherke what either O’hEadhra or McInerney have for their meals, what they sleep in, how they get ready for work etc etc.

Id suggest that a well read well educated professional like yourself,Breener, would probably agree but not express in such crude language.

Apologies for the tone of the language but those inserts at 1655 boil my pïss bigtime.

Flattery will get you everywhere, Brenner!

I didn't much like Mary Wilson, but her show was much better than this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Mary was better. And thought Sarah was good on her own when she replaced Sean O’Rourke. But this stuff is awful and seems to be getting worse. Happy clappy, fake laughter, text us now on 51551.

Agree on Sarah, though she can get a bit carried away with what the Brenner might call the "flash bang" stuff.

I took a look at Tonight VMTV recently and there was a presenter called Claire Brock on it.

She had a panel on it.. four persons.

Now I had never heard of her prior to this event and I have to say she was extremely professional, controlled the panel expertly and all with a calm assurance of a well trained professional.

None of the flash banging looking for a head stuff of the “hang on now…hang on” beloved of O’h’Eadhra, just calm probing questions which gave the viewer a good insight into the nub of the question.

Was very impressed based on a small sample!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Ukrainian who's brother is fighting on the front line came across very well, she was very patient considering it was O Hara interviewing her.

"How do you feel?" , how the hell does he think she feels when her brother is in danger every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

My view of it is it’s not the presenters. It’s the style of the show is all wrong for that main, flagship, heavy news programme.

It’s always been a heavy weight, flagship current affairs programme and I expect it to be fairly in-depth, serious and willing to give time to deeper analysis and so on.

RTE have a well resourced and very competent news gathering team, and access to a very broad range of guests simply because they are a public service broadcaster of significant stature, even if Ireland is a relatively small country.

That show should be 3 hours of RTE showing what it can do in terms of news and current affairs. It shouldn’t be going anywhere near light entertainment/banter. Leave that to someone else! It’s not why I tune into RTE R1 for a key news show.

• Advertisement

"How do you feel?" 

or 'how did you feel?' seems to be a staple question of all in RTE. It's Miriam's stock question to anyone who has been involved in tragedy.

Surprised she hasn't been headhunted by the national broadcaster, probably on a decent enough salary but doubt it is anywhere near what the crowd over in RTE are paying their presenters.

Yes, you are correct there, however the presenters should have enough cahunas to tell those in charge to basically fooherke off with that format.It’s stupid and doing their careers no good at all.

They tried the same with John Murray back in the day and screwed up his career big time when he was tipping along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I'll tell you what annoys me Cormac, it's shyte like this taking up time on the nation's Premier daily radio News show, that and sayin "c'mere ta me" every other sentence

Absolutely correct, it’s an total disgrace to allow rubbish like this have any part of a supposedly premier daily radio news show.

O’hEadhra in my opinion seems to think that the nation has any interest in what annoys him,

News for ya pal………

Time this shambolic production was taken off the air and replaced with a proper production which the listening public can enjoy.

A challenge for them… start hawking a 51551 callin to see if people think this fcukkery around 1655 and 1755 is ‘entertaining’ or a load of codswallop…..

And get that guffawing baboon off the air.

Thought Cormac did extremely well unpicking the Protocol stuff and the various opinions of it.

That's the type of thing he should be doing, Francie, not the other sh1te,

The producers and RTE obviously think this magazine type programme fits that slot.

They need to balance what they do better.

Just saying he is a good interviewer/journalist when he is allowed to be. I.E. I would blame the producers, who control the content, rather than the presenters.

Personally I would prefer them to alternate the days and present on their own, both are competent enough.

Agreed about the producers,

Neither of them are light-hearted enough to do light-hearted stuff; Cormac, in particular, is like someone who heard about humour but didn't really grasp the concept. The "banter" between the two would make you cringe.

Correct Breener , as I pointed out in the thread on an earlier post, those behind the scenes must take responsibility.

As you pointed out having a rehearsed happy five minutes at 1655 and sometimes 1755 on some stupid theme is indeed cringeworthy.

They tried the same with John Murray and it took them five years to figure out it didn’t work and disrupted the lads career.

They could do the same with the Drivetime two and I’d blame themselves for allowing producers to try to wedge them into shoes that blatantly don’t fit.

It just doesn’t work……when will they realise that….. 5 years time when the sponsorship is pulled due to falling audience?

• Advertisement

My personal preference is for a hardcore news programme in this slot. But it is what it is. Sign of the times and attention spans of the public.

'Balance the banter' button needs pressing at times. I'll give credit for good journalism when it is due though, balance the criticism, so to speak.

O’Reilly the woman who doesn’t need to breathe while talking going head to head with Mr Richmond shortly.

Could be a bruiser…. ‘I didn’t interrupt you’.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Score draw.

Agree.

That jackass O’hEadhra is at it again.

Boyd Barrett seems to have lost the plot, the looney left is exactly what they are based on the rubbish he came out with today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sarah currently getting her arse handed to her by this seamus guy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That sarah one couldn’t end that interview quickly enough. She got absolutely destroyed.

• Advertisement

And the other baboon had to swallow humble pie when he queried how the Irish ladies would cope with “the heat”in Australia for the World Cup in July.

Ms Pau gently advised him it Winter in Ozz at that time.

Then got his arse handed to him by the Auctioneer dude in Wicklow on the memorabilities auction.

Not a good day for the intrepid two.

Advertisement