Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney & Cormac O hEadhra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Cannot understand why they continue with that profoundly false, puerile, (with apologies to boys) mind numbing attempt at banter.

How in the name of fuhherke they think it’s funny is beyond me.

Poor John had to persist back in the day and eventually it wore him down.

Cut out that amazingly false, contrived, stupid , crass shïte out .

Please…….

I suspect that they do it because the re-tarded RTE news editor wants them to. He (or she) has decided that Irish listeners are incapable of listening to a news programme unless it's "enhanced" with large dollops of vox-pops, human interest slush, and a pair of moderately competent news journalists making complete fools of themselves.

They are at it again now….. that guffawing buffoon O’hEadhra annoys me big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The constant and clearly fake laughter from o’hara is awful

That and this fuhherking ‘c’mere to me’ horse nuts he comes up with.

Contrived rubbish with no saving grace of any kind is all I can say………

But….. they seem to think it’s great craic ……. I have told them often enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Surprised Philip Bouchier Hayes has been chosen ahead of Drivetime's John Cooke as replacement for Damien O'Reilly on Countrywide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I reckon Sarah thinks he's a twat too, but she's a true pro. All that sh!te was with Cormac (NKM) talking with Jen Hogan (NKM)

Me too. After countless years as a daily listener, that smug baying rsole has driven me away from Drivetime - and I miss it.

I suspect that O'Hara even breaks wind trí gaeilge. And he probably applauds himself every time he discovers that that no solids have slipped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

^^^^😂😂

Not really on topic but I’m not at all surprised.

All Cooke does is put words into peoples mouths in, in my opinion, cringeworthy vox pops ..

Iwould have to say though if a journalist has any respect for themselves, don’t get involved in these ‘our man on the street’ vox pops a la Henry McKean, Brian Lally, and others get involved in.

Doesn’t enhance your career a ton, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

That’s fair comment Bren but Cooke seemed to have become established as Damian’s understudy. Well, himself and Marty Morrissey who will be busy with the panto season! Cooke has the rural background unlike Bouchier Hayes but maybe his vox pop commitments on Drivetime ruled him out of a weekend gig.

Am can’t say I ever heard Cooke as Damian’s understudy, heard Marty and he was quite good.

PBB despite his smug accent and persona apparently has rural background and has been prominent on green issues and farming issues.

Nothing against Cooke personally, and I know he has stood in on the full Drivetime prog. and despite the content being schemed for him did quite well.

Needs to get away from what I call the ‘slobber circuit’ .like Lally who got the producer gig and the Country Time did.

Firing leading questions at grunts on the sidewalk and shunting them into obvious answers is not a good career path,in my opinion.

I don’t like really targeting O’hEadhra but that total guffawing buffoonery going on now is cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Be careful of the auld back Bren....you seem to be doing a lot of cringing. ?

Having said that I have a bad bruise on the top of my thumb....banged the orf button a bit too hard when Cormie started to guffaw.

Knocked over a good Galway Crystal whiskey goblet (full) as well in my rush to silence the Roberts Internet.

Left a bad stain on the Axminister...so it did ....

Wouldn’t be the only stain Nevin, I’d opine, heard the Charles opened his hole there after a tub of takeaway curry.

Even the ‘No More Stain’ from Dealz couldn’t shift it.

Feed the lad proper dog food, not left overs, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Lots of items on pheasant shooting to look forward to.

Maybe culling deer up around Djouce Mtn. perhaps.

Hard to get a deer back home on 4WD I wonder.

Debate coming up between Govt and Sf on the readiness of the State to handle the Ukraine issue.

Fast forward….. Govt will say they are doing all they an….. Shinner will say not enough done.

chop chop ….sorted ….waste of time.

1655 the braying jackass will butt in in a few minutes

Wait for it……

Aaaaand we are off………

• Advertisement

Unbelievable Geoff…..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

He's a curious mix. Often says he's from Connemara and makes a virtue of his blás. But his normal English speaking voice has more tones of well heeled Dublin society.

One thing that does annoy me about him is the false pretentiousness of slipping in the gaeilge. It's done more for effect and style than substance and he can be inconsistent. The other night he was rabbiting on about Dun Laoighre in his finest blás but then said Dublin in the next sentence as Dublin, not even Dubh Linn never mind Baile Átha Cliath etc. Hypocrisy I call that. Then there was the regular reporting and interviews of the Creeslough tragdy with the local people pronouncing Creeslough as they do like Creeslaa. Other RTE newsreaders and presenters had no difficulty adapting to the local Donegal way with it, but the man here ploughed on with saying Crees-lock. If he was a true Irish gaelgeoir, would he not pick up on that immediately. I detect a fraud.

Sarah McInerney on the other hand, does have a genuine Galway accent.

Have to say the difference between the show today with Damien on,rather than those other braying buffoons is palpable.

I include McInerney because she should have the cahunas to tell the production team that the buffoonery at 10 minutes to the hour doesn’t work.It’s totally stupid.

That and the ponderous indtroductions and goodbyes from O’hEadhra and the feeling the listener gets that he wants the show about him rather the listener.

Damian has the show buzzing along and a good pace, stays in the background but gets the news out nicely.

Pity he’s heading off to Brussels but I would t blame him as he seemed underused in RTE and underrated.

Makes a change from the ponderous stop start fcukkery the other two go in with.

Interesting ‘show’ today Damien and McInerney!

Lets see what the ‘chemistry, is between the two and will they go for the cringeworthy banter between 1653 and 1700.

Or will they ditch it. At least the braying jackass is not involved……

Damien has been quite good on his own, let’s see will he play doubles well.

So predictable as the Bounty Bar removal from the Celebrations box makes the painful 16.55 slot

Oh dear… things not going too well……. Will Damien butt in to the hilarious to and fro!

• Registered Users Posts: 67,073 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Damien's a lightweight. I zone out if there's too much of him.

Invited in by McInerney……. When will these tools get the message that this is cringeworthy.

Damien not too enthusiastic.

Unusual scheduling for Monday with Drivetime only running from 4.30-6.00 and a documentary from 6.00-7.00. Doc on One had been going out at 2.00 on Saturdays up to last month

• Advertisement

Must have been caught for presenters am, with their time off around bank holiday tactics.

O’hEadhra is a disaster in that show, Damien kept it spinning along nicely but is now gone.

They are dumbing down this programme big time…..no longer has the importance it had.

Advertisement