Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slowing down

Options
  • 26-09-2020 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

Hi folks hoping someone can help here for last two months I'm walking two times a day every day averaging about 16km maybe more some days
    between the two walks, I have lost about 1 stone 8lbs losing about 4 lbs at beginning to dropping to 1.5lbs but this week I only lost .7lb and I was probably more active than any of the weeks which is really disappointing
    i know I always had the problem of eating late at night,
    Am I doing too much of the one exercise
    Disappointed

I probably don't drink enough water

Male 16st 12lb.
    6ft 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

It will always come down to calories in vs calories out, you identified the issue yourself so well done that’s a huge step, next thing is to understand what your eating (tracking your calories) MFP is brilliant but there are other tools, even your own diary would be good, calculate your requirements and then drop intake to another below that, requirement will change depending on your weight but exercise etc plays a part too, your exercise preference won’t matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,344 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Now that you've lost weight and are getting regular exercise, your body has adjusted to same, so the amount of calories you need per day has dropped, and the calories you burn exercising (if you're going at relatively the same pace etc) has also dropped. Your calories in needs to drop too in order to continue losing weight.

When I was losing weight, I worked it out that for approx every 10lb I lost, I'd drop maybe 80-100calories off what my limit had previously been. So if I was eating say 1750calories per day when I was 240lb, once I got to 230lb, I then reduced it to 1670calories. 220lb, 1580calories and so on.

Congrats on the loss so far and the amount of walking you're getting in, it's a great start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Youre stressing out over the wrong things. Diet is the most important factor when losing weight. You could do no walking and still lose weight if you ate fewer calories than your body uses in a day. Exercise helps to lose weight faster, or allows us to have a higher maintenance when losing weight, or in some cases, allows us to change our body composition (mainly for beginner lifters) while losing weight through weight training. "Doing too much of the one exercise" is not a thing, how would you even think that works?

I would recommend finding out your maintenance calories and eating 500-600 below that. Google TDEE for a rough estimate.

Meal timing is irrelevant to you. Eating late at night is no different to eating early in the morning as long as you are eating under maintenance. I eat all my calories between 6-10pm.

Weighing scales can be unreliable. What I mean by that is they will give you your weight at the time you weigh yourself, but you could be retaining loads of water one day vs no water two days later. If you are eating lots of processed food and foods high in sodium then you'll be heavier than if you ate the same calories with no sodium and no processed food.

Advertisement