Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameweek 3 Matchday Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

SlickRic wrote: »
    Makes me not want to watch anymore tbh.

Agree. Didn't effect me from a ff perspective, nothing against Newcastle, but disgusted with that and it's really making me not want to watch.

Hodgson said it perfectly yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Lundstram wrote: »
    How in the name of fcuk can that referee look at that replay himself and decide to give a pen for it? That's just outrageous.

We'll have players all in handcuffs next to avoid giving away penalties.

Not the refs fault. They're under instruction. It's FIFA/the lawmakers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Ace2007 wrote: »
    The only thing on the handball I would say is that Dier jump with his back to the ball and his arm in the air - there is no real reason to jump like this especially knowing what the handball rule is.
    Don't be silly. He was about to land and put his arm out to balance himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Spent whole game watching Son/Kane and end up with 8 points from CWilson. Stupid game really.

The only thing on the handball I would say is that Dier jump with his back to the ball and his arm in the air - there is no real reason to jump like this especially knowing what the handball rule is.

I think you need to go jump as high as you can and try keep your hands low,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

You want him to try and jump with his arms behind his back or glued to his sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Serves Mourinho right if Son was taken off as a tactical move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

SlickRic wrote: »
    Makes me not want to watch anymore tbh.

100% agree

• Registered Users Posts: 33,084 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Feel like people are only up in arms over this one because there’s been so many bad ones. That’s a peno.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Please don't try to justify that decision. If you jump, you need to use your arms. That is NOT a deliberate handball. Rules need to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Remember back when there were crowds and a ball would hit a player and the fans would shout 'handball' in hope, and then the opposition fans would mock that with ironic 'handball' shouts after every touch? It's basically getting like that with the players now. In the last few minutes Newcastle were hoofing it into the box and appealing every bounce and ricochet on the off chance they would get a pen. The rulemakers need to do something about this as sporting success should be determined on skill, not luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

CSF wrote: »
    Feel like people are only up in arms over this one because there’s been so many bad ones. That’s a peno.

Nah. It's just as bad.

The only way to go for now, is to stack your team with cheap defenders and penalty takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Game is ruined. You can’t even celebrate a goal anymore until VAR clears it. Goalkeepers are at a massive disadvantage for penos. Now you have penalties been given for balls hitting defenders arms who are not even facing the ball. Get rid of VAR and just keep the goalline technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Dice75 wrote: »
    Not Kane...phew

Backroom staff?

Apparently it was their goalkeepers coach

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Lundstram wrote: »
    Don't be silly. He was about to land and put his arm out to balance himself.
    I think you need to go jump as high as you can and try keep your hands low,
    You want him to try and jump with his arms behind his back or glued to his sides?

My comment was simply that he was jumping with his back to the ball - he had no idea where the ball was, nor where his arms where - so while it wasn't intentional - he should as a defender in the box, with the knowledge of the new rule - be more aware of what he is doing - instead of blindly jumping and hoping the ball hits a part of his body that's not his arm.

The ref has to give the penalty based on the rules, and based on the precedence that has been set the last two GW's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

2 BPs for Cilson lol

Remember back when there were crowds and a ball would hit a player and the fans would shout 'handball' in hope, and then the opposition fans would mock that with ironic 'handball' shouts after every touch? It's basically getting like that with the players now. In the last few minutes Newcastle were hoofing it into the box and appealing every bounce and ricochet on the off chance they would get a pen. The rulemakers need to do something about this as sporting success should be determined on skill, not luck.

Come on. Dier is an experienced pro who knows he’s not allowed jump with his arm stretched wide like that. Piggybacking on the back of pens for guys who almost have them at their side is very opportunistic.

We’re reaching the point now where there will be uproar over every handball. Similar to last year with the offsides where people were fuming over legitimate ones after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Jose seemed to imply that son not injured, he will be making regular half time subs next few games

My comment was simply that he was jumping with his back to the ball - he had no idea where the ball was, nor where his arms where - so while it wasn't intentional - he should as a defender in the box, with the knowledge of the new rule - be more aware of what he is doing - instead of blindly jumping and hoping the ball hits a part of his body that's not his arm.

The ref has to give the penalty based on the rules, and based on the precedence that has been set the last two GW's.

He wasn't jumping with his back to the ball though, he jumped to head away a cross and it went over him, Carrol met the cross and headed it off him there was no way he could possibly be turned around in that time.

He wasnt blindly jumping either it was to head the ball away and he didnt make it,

Your seeing something that isnt there imo

Come on. Dier is an experienced pro who knows he’s not allowed jump with his arm stretched wide like that. Piggybacking on the back of pens for guys who almost have them at their side is very opportunistic.

We’re reaching the point now where there will be uproar over every handball. Similar to last year with the offsides where people were fuming over legitimate ones after a while.

There was nothing unnatural in Dier's movement. The overriding question for officials needs to be 'could the player have avoided this?' The answer here was clearly no. We can't expect players to jump for aerial challenges with their arms by their sides as if they're being shot out of a cannon. We might as well tie their arms down if we're going down that route. Common sense is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

begbysback wrote: »
    Jose seemed to imply that son not injured, he will be making regular half time subs next few games

I couldn't make out what he meant by those comments. Weird

begbysback wrote: »

They’ve 2 games this week so we’ll know if Son appears in 1 of them

They’ve 2 games this week so we’ll know if Son appears in 1 of them

Difficult to make out exactly what he means, my interpretation would be that he will start same strongest team, and pull off somebody else at half time next game.

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I couldn't make out what he meant by those comments. Weird

Difficult to make out exactly though it seems that son isn’t injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Very harsh pen. Though I will say I don't know what José sees in Dier - such an average player that has a habit of making headlines for the wrong reasons. Kane and Son owners can feel fairly miffed with those points returns - both could have been on double digits by half time.

There was nothing unnatural in Dier's movement. The overriding question for officials needs to be 'could the player have avoided this?' The answer here was clearly no. We can't expect players to jump for aerial challenges with their arms by their sides as if they're being shot out of a cannon. We might as well tie their arms down if we're going down that route. Common sense is required.

Arm out wide and horizontal has been pen for as long as I can remember. This is nothing like these ones that are being blown because the angle is a few degrees more than VAR ref is ok with.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Wont be greedy this week - 9 points please Harvey

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

No show from KDB to me justify keeping Aubameyang please.

I've captain KDB and Foden in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Soiling my pants here as a non sterling or kdb owner, I do have ake and Foden

Advertisement