Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Late for reseeding my Lawn?

Options
  • 25-09-2020 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

Is it too Late for reseeding my Lawn?

Will need to spray all the old grass first, give it a chance to work - then mow and gather, before shaking new seed (no digging / cultivating - just shaking the new seed on the ground).

Could be 2-3 weeks before I get to shake the seed (depending how long it will take the RoundUp to work)

Have I left it too late in the year for the seed to survive the winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Hi,

Is it too Late for reseeding my Lawn?

Will need to spray all the old grass first, give it a chance to work - then mow and gather, before shaking new seed (no digging / cultivating - just shaking the new seed on the ground).

Could be 2-3 weeks before I get to shake the seed (depending how long it will take the RoundUp to work)

Have I left it too late in the year for the seed to survive the winter?

I think you'll need to give people an idea of where you are. Potential big difference in temperature between say the extremes of West Cork and somewhere like Kilkenny...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yes it is too late, some of the seed might take leaving you with thin patches but you won't get much growth and frost will probably do it in over winter

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AMC123LM

Seeded a new lawn last weekend. Nothing has come up yet. I’d say the frost last night didn’t help. I would say it’s too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

nah, it'll be grand .Sow away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

September is a good month to seed a lawn. Even into October. The ground would be Less likely to dry out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭upyaboyanow

September is a good month to seed a lawn. Even into October. The ground would be Less likely to dry out too.

ya, but if i spray today / monday - need to give 2-3 weeks before that kills existing grass, then nearly into November before im shaking the new seed!! :o

ya, but if i spray today / monday - need to give 2-3 weeks before that kills existing grass, then nearly into November before im shaking the new seed!! :o

Again, depends where you are. Frost, I believe, is the big issue and first frosts of the year are very much tied to your location

thanks for all the comments.

iv decided to leave it for this year.

So whats the earliest / best time i can do it next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

thanks for all the comments.

iv decided to leave it for this year.

So whats the earliest / best time i can do it next year?

Depends on where you are ;)

I worked in landscaping and usually begin lawns in March, once ground conditions allowed.

How big is the lawn? Could be worth getting it dug(mini digger) and raked, its a better job overall.

• Advertisement

You can sow a lawn any time of the year in Ireland.

I sowed one last November and I have a beautiful lawn now. Frost is not the issue, it's the heavy rain that causes problem with washing away seed and leaving ruts and patches, but nothing that some minor work won't resolve. It will also require watering if you get any dry weather, but by the early summer you should have a perfectly good lawn.

That being said, a lawn sown in November is a lot more work than a lawn sown in late summer. If you get your timing right, by sowing in late August/early September you'll have a beautiful lawn within 5-6 weeks.

Spring is another option but you'll have to contend with a lot more weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Some what related I rented a scarifer from a tool hire company at the weekend and I did my lawn, twice actually. Cut the lawn Friday then round 1 sat morning.
    After picking up the grass and thatch I did a second pass in a different direction.

So much thatch and dead grass. It was therapeutic actually!

My question is can I put some lawn see on the ground and will it germinate?

My main aim was to try introduce new grass. My lawn was sown over 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ya, AFAIK you can. Your overseeding rather than re seeding.

scarepanda wrote: »

this is what I wanted to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,056 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Some what related I rented a scarifer from a tool hire company at the weekend and I did my lawn, twice actually. Cut the lawn Friday then round 1 sat morning.
    After picking up the grass and thatch I did a second pass in a different direction.

So much thatch and dead grass. It was therapeutic actually!

My question is can I put some lawn see on the ground and will it germinate?

My main aim was to try introduce new grass. My lawn was sown over 10 years ago.

Again it depends on where you are, North or South.

Did your dethatching get you down to soil?
    Seed needs to be sitting on soil to germinate and survive.
    If there is still a layer of thatch then it likely wont make it.

scarepanda wrote: »

yes - me too

GreeBo wrote: »

no dethatching done yet! grass about a ft high at the moment - normal agri seed.

no dethatching done yet! grass about a ft high at the moment - normal agri seed.

Think you've crossed posts as that was an answer to different question no?

GreeBo wrote: »

I’m in the south, can see soil in a lot of places. I’ll share a pic up close

Note that I seeded last week. One thing I had overlooked was leaves coming off trees and covering the seed and very difficult to move it off without taking some seed with it. And the poster who mentioned heavy rain being an issue was correct as well - heavy rain during the week moved the seed. I regret now not going to the trouble of spreading a very fine layer of top soil over the seed.

• Advertisement

legend99 wrote: »
    Note that I seeded last week. One thing I had overlooked was leaves coming off trees and covering the seed and very difficult to move it off without taking some seed with it. And the poster who mentioned heavy rain being an issue was correct as well - heavy rain during the week moved the seed. I regret now not going to the trouble of spreading a very fine layer of top soil over the seed.

Rake through any areas that got hit by heavy rain and caused little rivulets or ruts. Seed again and cover with a layer of soil. It should be fine, but do it now or it will be uneven.

Rake through any areas that got hit by heavy rain and caused little rivulets or ruts. Seed again and cover with a layer of soil. It should be fine, but do it now or it will be uneven.

Yes - thanks for that. Bought some bags of the Westland top soil as it guarantees to be weed free but trying to get hold of seed now and not as easy! Went with No 1 mix and all gone in my local Woodies etc. Likewise the 2 garden centres I tried. Will probably have to buy online. Built myself a drag as well to level the soil. Was wondering if putting soil over any seed that has just germinated, will kill it? Or will it be okay if its spread thin?

New bag of seed arrived. Fingers crossed now for the weekend. Still conscious of possibly smothering the seed that's now on day ten so need to try to decide what I will top about covering or not with thin layer of that top soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

I have found the best material to cover seed with is peat moss - it helps prevent the seed from both drying out and being washed away. I have experimented with top soil, compost and peat moss over the past 12 months and have found that germination is fastest with the peat moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭blackbox

I seeded just over 2 weeks ago and no sign of germination yet :(
    East Wicklow area, so no frost yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭cuculainn

i sowed an area with wildflowers about 2 weeks ago. there were a few cold nights last week, not sure if there was frost but i noticed some germination today, could be weeds, but hopefully they take

overall its been pretty good weather for sowing the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blackbox wrote: »
    I seeded just over 2 weeks ago and no sign of germination yet :(
    East Wicklow area, so no frost yet.

Ditto, same area and timing. I noticed just yesterday that sprouts have started coming up.

I'm South. Started seeing germination from the seed I put down on 27th September after 2 weeks. I reseeded and covered with fine layer of top soil last Sunday as the leaves falling caused me havoc. I'm hopeful I have a lot of life now by end of the month - be 5 weeks for the first seed and 3 for the second.

The leaves are still a nightmare though. Area is under trees. Having to try to remove leaves every night to give the seed the best possible chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I seeded a new lawn on Sat 3rd of October - on Monday this week I saw the soil turning a bit green ish - as of today I have a very sparse but 25mm growth on everywhere I didnt ruin by walking on !

I might take some pics tomorrow if anyone has any interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I seeded a new lawn on Sat 3rd of October - on Monday this week I saw the soil turning a bit green ish - as of today I have a very sparse but 25mm growth on everywhere I didnt ruin by walking on !

I might take some pics tomorrow if anyone has any interest.

Please do

Advertisement