Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

That's not bad for a channel that according to "experts" was meant to be done and dusted in 6 months.

Looks like the channel keeps growing

Let's not forget that @Timberrrrrrrr predicted the channel was going to be done and dusted by 12 December.

Then again, there is still 10-days left for him to turn out to be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm an ordinary working person. I don't believe this smeared me. I looked at this. Saw the picture wasn't of me but of Farage and I thought to myself: "Is that image of Farage meant to be ME???" After due consideration, the indicators that this was NOT aimed at me were in the majority (over 50% if you are wondering) so I determined it was NOT smearing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You predicted Andrew Neil wasn't quitting the channel after he had already left the thing.

I said that we couldn't know. I was agnostic on the question.

In hindsight, I turned out to be right. Negotiations were ongoing and, had things worked out, Neil would still have been there.

Only an extremist would make a claim with certainty like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There were no ads anywhere! That's the thing, TV, YouTube, Twitter, there were no ads generating revenue anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He predicted much worse would come to light about Marcus Rashford "Jimmy Saville level stuff"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well,

There are these posts from you firmly rejecting the suggestion that Andrew Neil had left for good - They don't seem all that "agnostic on the question" to me.

Post#1269

Where is the evidence that Andrew Neil has "jumped ship", as if to suggest he has permanently left the channel?

Post# 1463

No evidence of this whatsoever. Pure conjecture.

Given the number of months he's been working on this project, it's safe to assume that a few weeks off is exactly what he said he wants.

Post# 1498

Weeks ago, I said that Andrew Neil was not leaving the channel and that those who claimed he was, were reading into it what they wanted.

His tweet only yesterday shows that he still believes in the channel and has no intention to leave.

I turned out to be right.

I wonder what new spin the anti-GB News brigade will apply to this tweet?

Post# 1500

Again, you are being cynical about the nature of his tweet because you dislike GB News from the outset.

Even if Andrew Neil explicitly stated that he wasn't leaving the channel, you would probably summon a defence that he's lying to the public.

Thanks for harvesting those quotes for me, all of which nourish precisely the point I made.

None of those statements can be taken to be anything but fact, he was at the time employed by GB News; he didn't "leave" - and during that period, was negotiating with the top team precisely because he wanted to remain.

That's all my points argued, and they turned out to be precisely right. Statements of fact, at the time, and nothing more. I didn't claim to know anything more than what was present on the table at the time.

However, the extremists are the ones who somehow knew exactly what was going on, despite not having a shred of evidence to hand to back their claims up. That's just conjecture, and I called it out at the time.

Neil may very well have struck a deal at the time, but to be premature and claim to know what was happening is simply not right.

I remained agnostic, fuelled only by the actual facts to hand.

Those on the other side spoke with certainty about a matter they'd no evidence to back up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Is there anything you won't try to spin just so you don't have to accept that you said something you claimed you didn't?

It's an incredible ability - You say you were agnostic about the Andrew Neil departure , I link to your posts where you were anything but - claiming that anyone suggesting that Neil was not coming back was simply a member of the "Anti GB-News Brigade" and you come back trying to suggest that my post supports your position???

Bottom line - You were wrong , everyone else was correct .

He left and never came back just as everyone but you correctly predicted.

You spoke with "certainty" that he definitely hadn't left

Weeks ago, I said that Andrew Neil was not leaving the channel and that those who claimed he was, were reading into it what they wanted.

I turned out to be right.

I wonder what new spin the anti-GB News brigade will apply to this tweet?

Except , you weren't right , you were WRONG.

Why are you physically incapable of admitting to an error/mistake?

Why must you double and triple down on these tiresome spins and convulsions to somehow (in your mind) look like you were correct all along when you simply weren't???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And we have always been at war with Eastasia

Seriously, any normal person would cringe at having to the amount of deceptive, distractionary covering for their own posting history as you do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If I'm being honest, the whole "launching a TV channel in 2021" shtick has become a bit boring for me. It's weird seeing this person twist themselves like this to defend such a stupid notion though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Rudy Giuliani to appear on Talking Pints tonight, should be interesting to hear his take on last night's Farage-Trump interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

maybe he will publicly ask trump to pay his bills? Will farage ask him about the press conference at four seasons landscaping?

Its kinda impressive to see the diehard commitment to constantly try to retcon what was previously said in black and white for everyone to see, even when it is literally re-posted in front of you.

Will his face start to melt again 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Rudy 😂 Jesus he's really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Hope he asks him about Four Seasons Landscaping!

Will he shove his hand down his pants during the interview?

Set the pulses of the GBNews fans into overdrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,012 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's "impressive" in the way that the saddening sight of a devastating plane crash with bits of bodies all over the place in a bloody mess is "impressive".

• Advertisement

So GBN did set record viewing figures for itself but nothing near half a million viewers as Eskimo promised. And he realistically is the biggest guest they'll ever get.

And yet, not a single penny was made from advertisement revenue, GBEEBIES is such a toxic brand that they couldn't get a single company to advertise thier product during what will be thier finest moment.

EH keeps avoiding the question because he's embarrassed by it but does anyone else have any other reason as to why during Farage's two hour show last night there wasn't a single advertisement for any product whatsoever?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Problem with Trump is he is something of a busted flush. He must have given many hundreds of TV interviews in the last five years - the only people interested in him in the UK in late 2021 are the remaining right wing Trump fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I didn't watch it (So I didn't comment). The articles I read seemed to indicate it went as expected (Again no comment).

You took one for the team and watched? Fair play. Was there REALLY no ads? That's amazing. I'm sure he'll come back and say "Well, they didn't want to break up such an important and prestigious interview with advertising". Which would be BS. As you said, this will be the biggest interview they get. Perfect chance to make a LOT of money. And remember, this is a business. Like every other station, like every other business, the goal is to make money.

In fairness to them, it is a big "interview" but he's really only there because they are his kind of people. But still, the POTENTIAL for massive numbers. For their biggest audience yet. A chance to put them right on the map.

No advertising. Wow, that's mental. Can you imagine the rush for advertising if he had the balls to do an ACTUAL "No holds barred" interview on ITV/C4. Hell, even BBC would sell ads :)

He was only on GBNews because no other tv station wants him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Plus he knew there'd be no hard questions and even though it'd be advertised as "nothing is off limits", he'd be interviewed by a sycophant who wouldn't push at those limits anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No advertiser would want to be associated with a Trump interview of that style.

If it was a proper, incisive interview they'd be all over it - but Trump would have walked out after the first question. Being associated with a hagiography of a tyrant isn't a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I would genuinely find it incredulous there were no ads because of Trump. Maybe they decided to run promos instead to promote themselves knowing full well they'd have many viewers tuning in for the first time. I'm not saying I don't get some people detest Trump, I mean it's the advertising opportunity being turned down I find hard to believe. Wouldn't the same companies equally refuse to advertise with them at all if they were of that attitude. Sure I may be wrong and it would be interesting to have this confirmed either way.

the only advertisers they have are at the level of "cash for gold" companies.

• Advertisement

They had actual "Ad Breaks" but they had no actual adverts - All they had were promos for other shows on the channel.

Which is consistent with their normal programming - They have next to no adverts and they fill the time with promos or a "back soon" test card.

It's a vanity project for the backers and that's it - It will never break-even let alone make a profit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement