Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May 2021

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes all very normal.Regular night wakings are also a normal part of pregnancy.Sort of a preparation for what's to come?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Since 5 weeks pregnant I've had to get up at least once in the middle of the night to pee!

Dreams are more vivid and usually when I have a heavier sleep. Not nightmares but not good dreams either :(

I'm on Galfer now, every second day. I hope it helps with my new found tiredness, feels like the first trimester again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

GingerLily wrote: »
    Since 5 weeks pregnant I've had to get up at least once in the middle of the night to pee!

Dreams are more vivid and usually when I have a heavier sleep. Not nightmares but not good dreams either :(

I'm on Galfer now, every second day. I hope it helps with my new found tiredness, feels like the first trimester again!

I feel the exact same Ginger. I'm waking up to pee about 3 to 4 times a night and my dreams are vivid and creepy. I'm also really tired again during the day much like the first trimester. I feel heavy headed and sluggish regardless of having 7 hours or 11 hours sleep!

It will all be worth it and I think these little phases will pass. Any time I have energy bursts now I grab them with both hands.

Over halfway there ladies! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tatevik

Hi Ladies, the weeks are flying by... I'm 25 weeks on Saturday, can't believe it. Had my 24 week check up with community based midwifes in Swords on Wednesday, the midwife there was so lovely, that was my first time in with them and she was brilliant for explaining everything. Thankfully all went ok.

I'm having awful trouble sleeping lately too, keep waking up in a panic because I realise I am on my back... I always try to sleep on my side as I know it is not recommended to sleep on your back, does anyone else do this?! Maybe a pregnancy pillow would help?

Tatevik wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, the weeks are flying by... I'm 25 weeks on Saturday, can't believe it. Had my 24 week check up with community based midwifes in Swords on Wednesday, the midwife there was so lovely, that was my first time in with them and she was brilliant for explaining everything. Thankfully all went ok.

I'm having awful trouble sleeping lately too, keep waking up in a panic because I realise I am on my back... I always try to sleep on my side as I know it is not recommended to sleep on your back, does anyone else do this?! Maybe a pregnancy pillow would help?

Hi Tatevik, congratulations!! Lovely to hear your scan went well and the midwife was nice. I've been going to Holles street and they're lovely there too, really makes you feel in good hands.

I always sleep on my back and I bought a pregnancy pillow on Amazon that stops you rolling over. Its really comfortable, kind of like sleeping with a big teddy bear.
    The one I got is Dreamgenii...www.pregnancyandme.ie
    It was 40 euro including delivery.

Try not to worry too much if you roll onto your back but a pillow will help keep you on your side.

For the record, I'm having trouble sleeping too that kicked in about week 16. I'm having vivid nightmares and almost dread going to bed now cos I feel a bit scared (big baby!!) but apparently its completely normal and some women say they enjoy the vividness and writing down the dreams can be interesting. Might give it a shot:)

• Advertisement

Porklife wrote: »
    I always sleep on my back and I bought a pregnancy pillow on Amazon that stops you rolling over. Its really comfortable, kind of like sleeping with a big teddy bear.
    The one I got is Dreamgenii...www.pregnancyandme.ie
    It was 40 euro including delivery.

Try not to worry too much if you roll onto your back but a pillow will help keep you on your side.

Thank you so much for the recommendation! I’m gonna order one now 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Aurian_loh

Hi all,

My brain is going into crazy overdrive and I'm hoping ye can get me back to rational.

So everytime I've met a doc or midwife they have always said to be aware of the babys movements. Since I've been feeling the baby move it has always been very active in the evening and night time and less so in the day time. Well in the last two days the baby has been a lot quieter in the evening in comparison to other nights. I rang the midwife and they said that the baby wont settle into a regular rhythm until after 24 weeks and it's nothing to worry about. They told me to relax and just pay more attention. Like that's easy!!!!

Thankfully this morning they have been a lot more active so I'm more relaxed now but sometimes I feel like the messages we get is ring us with anything that's different because it might be bad and when you do and start to panic its "grand and nothing to worry about". They are going to make me crazy worrying and thinking the worst all the time.

If it's any consolation Aurian, I'm almost 23 weeks and my little man is very active at night too and first thing in the morning but I dont feel anything during the day. Recently there was 2 or 3 days in a row where I felt nothing. I had my big scan and he is absolutely fine. The midwife told me they sleep alot so days can go by where they're just sleeping and resting and not moving much at all.

If no movement is accompanied by pain or any other symptoms, then I'd be concerned but if you're feeling any movement and are otherwise fine I would really try not to worry. I know its hard, I'm worried about everything but so is every pregnant woman I've talked to:)

One thing you could try is to ly down and take a few deep breaths. If you're relaxed, you might be more inclined to feel something.

Congratulations on your bump:)

Porklife wrote: »
    If no movement is accompanied by pain or any other symptoms, then I'd be concerned but if you're feeling any movement and are otherwise fine I would really try not to worry. I know its hard, I'm worried about everything but so is every pregnant woman

Thanks for that. Defo today and yesterday evening there was more regular and noticable movement. Thankfully no pain at all so nothing that would indicate any problems. Just need to calm down and stop jumping to the worst case scenario. I have my check-up with the doc on friday so that will give me peace of mind then too.

Hi Aurian, not sure if this helps but my midwife told me if I'm not feeling much movement to have a big glass of ice cold water and that will usually encourage a bit of movement. Or something sweet like a bar of chocolate will help too. Try not to be too stressed, I think its very hard to feel any movement during the day as you are out and about and probably not feeling it as much as you would at night time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 rosie087

Hi all, how is everyone getting along at the moment?

I'm 30 weeks this week and am counting them down! I've been finding it pretty tough with all the crappy weather and the lockdown being pushed out time and time again but I got out a bit in the nice weather yesterday and this morning which has cheered me up a bit!

Pregnancy wise it's all going fine thankfully, got my rhesus injection and have an appt with the midwives tomorrow so that makes it feel like things are progressing. Very tired but sleeping better than I had been. No updates really but just wanted to check in with ye :)

rosie087 wrote: »
    Hi all, how is everyone getting along at the moment?

I'm 30 weeks this week and am counting them down! I've been finding it pretty tough with all the crappy weather and the lockdown being pushed out time and time again but I got out a bit in the nice weather yesterday and this morning which has cheered me up a bit!

Pregnancy wise it's all going fine thankfully, got my rhesus injection and have an appt with the midwives tomorrow so that makes it feel like things are progressing. Very tired but sleeping better than I had been. No updates really but just wanted to check in with ye :)

Hey Rosie, good to hear all is going well with you. I'm 28 weeks now and have my glucose test on friday. I'm also getting weighed down with lockdown. Crazy to think that I'll have gone through my entire pregnacy and not have seen quite a lot of my close friends. Also we were trying to get some home improvements done before the baby got here but those plans are also gone. Though our diy skills are improving slightly.

I'm starting to get into the struggling to sleep stage. Not helped by how busy we are with work but should ease off next week. My boss is great though. He told me if I'm feeling tired just book a meeting in my diary and go for a nap. Haven't used that yet but who knows.

I was very surprised with how early I would start feeling uncomfortable as the pregnacy progresses. And I know I still have to get a lot bigger yet.

Hi Ladies,

Good to hear all is well with ye. All good here too, I'll be 30 weeks on Saturday. Had my glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks and also got my iron levels checked however there was a processing error with my bloods so I've to get them redone tomorrow at my check up with the community midwife. Fingers crossed all goes ok.

Definitely struggling with the lockdown too, I find it hard to buy stuff online, got a few bits from Next but had to return some items and didn't realise you have to pay to return, was fecking raging! Also wanted to buy the cot in Aldi that was out for the baby event but none of the ones around me got them in so I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered one on Ikea... €50 for delivery charge and delivery date not til the 6th of April!!!! Madness. Can't wait for the shops to reopen!! Where are people buying their bits these days?

Also a bit uncomfortable at night, and I've gotten to the stage where I struggle to put on socks!! Scary to think what I'll be like when I get much bigger!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

All good here. Funny that there is an increasingly large number of folks we know who are due a month or two before us and a month or two after us. Going to be baby mad where we live. [Which is handy, since we wont have family or friends able to visit!!]

With the covid extension, the dads won't be near the hospitals now. So weird that I [the dad] has not been at a single appointment or scan to this point. I won't be at a hospital until the actual birth itself!

I need to read the exact rules. Looks like I will be allowed in for the core time of the birth and nothing else? What about the little fella we have already. I need to check up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gigglybits

Hey, 29 weeks here. Was diagnosed with gestational diabetes about 4 weeks ago. With lockdown, miserable weather, no Ecce for 3 year old, removal of all sugar and most carbs, structuring day around eating every 2 hours - it has not been an easy change. The first week I felt any remaining joy left in life had just been sucked out. Fortunately I have gotten over the down from lack of sugar/carbs and the sun has come out every now and then. Was on Domino's scheme where the standard of care and being listened to was excellent. Now see a Dr. and one of the satellite clinics where it's in/out as quick as possible - back on the conveyor belt. Have been put on metformin (past 10 days), was told to expect appointment for endocrinologist last week, none came, phoned to try and find out when this might be, someone supposed to phone back last Friday - no phone call. Can't say I am too impressed. Will phone again tomorrow.

Will have to think about buying a few bits online too. How will I know the granny knickers are big enough if I can't see them :D

Sleep is ok, socks are definitely a little awkward and there's a beached whale roll needed to get out of bed.

Roll on some good weather!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭uptheduffagain

gigglybits wrote: »
    Hey, 29 weeks here. Was diagnosed with gestational diabetes about 4 weeks ago. With lockdown, miserable weather, no Ecce for 3 year old, removal of all sugar and most carbs, structuring day around eating every 2 hours - it has not been an easy change. The first week I felt any remaining joy left in life had just been sucked out. Fortunately I have gotten over the down from lack of sugar/carbs and the sun has come out every now and then. Was on Domino's scheme where the standard of care and being listened to was excellent. Now see a Dr. and one of the satellite clinics where it's in/out as quick as possible - back on the conveyor belt. Have been put on metformin (past 10 days), was told to expect appointment for endocrinologist last week, none came, phoned to try and find out when this might be, someone supposed to phone back last Friday - no phone call. Can't say I am too impressed. Will phone again tomorrow.

Will have to think about buying a few bits online too. How will I know the granny knickers are big enough if I can't see them :D

Sleep is ok, socks are definitely a little awkward and there's a beached whale roll needed to get out of bed.

Roll on some good weather!!!

That must be really hard, especially when food is one of the few pleasures us preggos have left in life at the moment! :D Hope you're doing OK.

I've also been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, they brought me straight to hospital and now I'm on insulin 4 times a day!

I'm still trying to adjust, it's was really upsetting at first and I'm still getting used to it. It's a little overwhelming having to count out everything and space out everything, but I know i have to do it so I'll just do it.

Apparently I won't go 40 weeks, I'll probably be induced at 38 weeks so it might be an April baby.

One positive was getting to see what the hospital is like. I feel more prepared now and the midwives are amazing, so helpful and were always checking on baby! I was overnight and definitely recommend bringing a pregnancy pillow to anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭okeydokeys22

Another gestational diabetes lady over here!

Nearly 4 weeks on the diet now and it's tough. Eating little carbs and no refined or added sugars and numbers are still high, a little over 7 most evenings and a little over 5 most mornings but midwives weren't concerned this week and just said to keep doing what I'm doing for the next two weeks. Have a growth scan at in less than 2 weeks at 32 weeks and I'm nervous. Baby was almost 3lb at a quick scan at 28 weeks!

Another gestational diabetes lady over here!

Nearly 4 weeks on the diet now and it's tough. Eating little carbs and no refined or added sugars and numbers are still high, a little over 7 most evenings and a little over 5 most mornings but midwives weren't concerned this week and just said to keep doing what I'm doing for the next two weeks. Have a growth scan at in less than 2 weeks at 32 weeks and I'm nervous. Baby was almost 3lb at a quick scan at 28 weeks!

My baby was 3lb 3 at 29 weeks, I feel your pain. Its mainly on their tummy, hopefully now we've caught it I can minimise the damage.

I'm only 3 days on it and my numbers aren't great and I'm being very strict with the diet but I know it'll take a while for the insulin to work.

I've been told I can probably have chocolate at Easter, so I'm looking forward to that.

The diet is definitely tough, but I'm working from home so that helps :)

Sorry to hear so many of you suffering with the gestational diabetes, that can't be easy.

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    My baby was 3lb 3 at 29 weeks, I feel your pain. Its mainly on their tummy, hopefully now we've caught it I can minimise the damage.

I'm only 3 days on it and my numbers aren't great and I'm being very strict with the diet but I know it'll take a while for the insulin to work.

I've been told I can probably have chocolate at Easter, so I'm looking forward to that.

The diet is definitely tough, but I'm working from home so that helps :)

Yeah my little ones tummy was measuring 28+5 at 27+6.
    The fact the hospital is not bothered with my high numbers is concerning me. I'll be fairly annoyed with them if baby is measuring very large in a couple of weeks for not medicating earlier. Its not that I want medication, I just want what's best for baby.
    I really am doing my best with the diet, barely any carbs at this stage so I know I can't do anymore in that regard. My numbers creeping up day by day so I dread to think what they'll be in two weeks at my next diabetes appointment.

Can I ask, How did you end up on insulin straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gigglybits

Do you have to ask what size baby is at scan? I have never been told the actual weight other than 'all measuring normal'. It is all so rushed! I think I need to bring questions with me, when they ask 'have you any questions' my mind totally goes blank :D

The diet sometimes makes no sense. I have two eggs and 1 slice of McCambridge in morning and 1 hour later numbers are about 6.4. If I touch a slice of McCambridge for lunch my numbers go up to 8! I've been looking at recipes on gestational diabetes co. uk site, they have lots of info and a lot of recipes have worked for me. Even their brownies with double cream - worth a look for a treat. Oppo ice cream in tescos has low carbs so you could fit in two scoops topped with nuts as one of your snacks. Everyones body works different though so might be worth checking an hour later just to make sure.

Roll on May or even April all going well and I am going to stuff my face with cake, all for me, not sharing!

Can I ask, How did you end up on insulin straight away?

My readings were very very high for the GTT so I was straight in to hospital overnight and on insulin :( it was a massive shock and I just have this guilt that it's my fault. Haven't even told some people because I feel awful about it.

Baby is a little big, but a lot smaller then they feared, so it's a good I was screened when I did, seems like it could have been a lot worse. No issues with fluid around the baby and baby is super active, just had a little tummy already!

Next growth scan is in 3 weeks, that'll tell me a lot

Do you have to ask what size baby is at scan? I have never been told the actual weight other than 'all measuring normal'. It is all so rushed! I think I need to bring questions with me, when they ask 'have you any questions' my mind totally goes blank :D

The diet sometimes makes no sense. I have two eggs and 1 slice of McCambridge in morning and 1 hour later numbers are about 6.4. If I touch a slice of McCambridge for lunch my numbers go up to 8! I've been looking at recipes on gestational diabetes co. uk site, they have lots of info and a lot of recipes have worked for me. Even their brownies with double cream - worth a look for a treat. Oppo ice cream in tescos has low carbs so you could fit in two scoops topped with nuts as one of your snacks. Everyones body works different though so might be worth checking an hour later just to make sure.

Roll on May or even April all going well and I am going to stuff my face with cake, all for me, not sharing!

I'm not convinced about mccambridges either!

Maybe it depends on the hospital but for my anatomy scan and my growth scan it says it on the results the weight and percentiles for the baby

I've already told my husband to stock up on Easter eggs now and I'm actually gonna devour them as soon as baby is out!

It's hard because you give up alcohol, can't meet friends, can't browse for baby bits in the shops and then mother nature comes along and takes away your bitta chocolate with your cup of tea and your Saturday night take out, the highlight of the week these days. I keep imagine myself having a glass of wine and a bit of chocolate in the summer sun with healthy baby beside me come mid May.

Thanks be to god for us all though that we're nearly on the single weeks countdown. Be all worth it for baby I've no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FA101

Hey all

I was diagnosed with Gestational diabetes last week too at 29 weeks. I have my first video call about it on Wednesday.

I have done low carb/keto diet before I used to have problems with borderline high numbers and dizziness after eating carbs. So here are a couple of tips.

When eating food, start with the highest fat part and end with the carbs, so in order: 1. Meat 2. Veg 3. Carbs the fat first will help to stabilise your sugars before you eat the carbs.

Then (if you can) a quick 15 minute walk after eating. This also helps to stabilise blood sugars after eating.

And always eat more good fats when you cut carbs down! It will stop you feeling hungry and desperate for sugar!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Sorry to hear about all the GD diagnoses - hope everyone is coping well..

I'm 27 weeks today - finally in trimester 3.... wonder how I'll last another 3 months!lol. It's the heartburn/indigestion that's killing me... meds I'm on aint cutting it, will be having a chat with gp at my appt tomorrow! Had a growth scan last week, baby was just over 2 lbs (my first baby was small) so fingere crossed this ones keeps on that track for the rest of the pregnancy... this will be a section around 38 weeks so we'll see...

Is there anyone else attending OLOL drogheda?

How's everyone getting on?

Is anyone else very emotional lately? I think the hormones are starting to properly kick in here!

Also almost had a heart attack when I went to order a buggy at the weekend and they said it would be 8 weeks to get it in - babies coming in 7! But I found another shop that has it in stock so crisis averted :)

Has everyone their hospital bag sorted yet! I've bought everything for it, just need to wash the baby clothes, I have my baby degergent ready for this weekend to get started :)

Hey all.

This week I have had serious struggles with heartburn and indigestion. Couldnt sleep at all on sunday so not a great start to the week. Have my doctors appointment this week so I'll be adding that to the list of things to talk about.

Going packing my bag this weekend. Hopefully I have everything or at least will know for defo what I need and can curtail the random shopping.

The wait times on some deliveries are crazy at the moment. I'm still waiting on things I ordered in February. Trying now to only order locally at this stage.

I'm starting to get excited now. The countdown from work is real and ignorance around labour is bliss ha ha ha

• Advertisement

All good here!

I have a few bits for the hospital bag but need to properly sort it out and also need to get some baby detergent - I actually didn't know that was a thing!!!

I'm trying to stay active enough and have listening to some birth story podcasts when out for a walk which I'm enjoying, but I'm really starting to slow down at this point. I'm 33 weeks this week and 40 feels like forever away - I don't know how I'll fit 7 weeks of a growing baby in me - at this point my maternity clothes are starting to not fit...

Advertisement