Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food recommendations.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Thanks- I have my dog on Royal Canin (small dog breed)- but awaiting delivery of Barking Heads (small dog). I noticed on RC, that he's labouring his poos a bit more than when he was on a combo of dry and wet food (moved him to dry recently with RC).

I've read up quite a lot on interweb and doesn't seem to be an issue putting warm water into the kibble and letting it soak in for 5 mins or so- it seems to help reduce "wet poo" syndrome so hopefully it will work.
    He laps it all up and he's getting some of his daily water requirement which I'm still trying to get used to as I only have him for the last month or so, and worry he doesn't drink enough when on totally dry kibble.

PS- "James" also on my radar but if Barking Heads works out, I think I'll stick with that for a while.

Don’t be afraid to give human food too lol. Our lads love spuds, carrots, strawberries....

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Don’t be afraid to give human food too lol. Our lads love spuds, carrots, strawberries....

Yeah I’m progressing to that too :D- again just trying to do some research - I know grapes and resins are a no no- watermelon good without the seed, are as apples as well, again without seed and bananas good -have seen strawberries recommended too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Does anyone use Nourish Rite kibble? The meat content looks pretty good and it is grain free. New dog owner here, is there anything I am missing from the content of these?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Does anyone use Nourish Rite kibble? The meat content looks pretty good and it is grain free. New dog owner here, is there anything I am missing from the content of these?

Thanks

It's a generic grain free kibble that tons of places sell and put their own name on it - so you maybe able to shop around get a better price. ;)

As an update, Barking Heads going down well. Remember, each dog is unique so one type of feed doesn't suit all. I'll monitor over coming weeks but so far so good. Keeping him on the small breed lamb for the moment but have 1.5kg Chicken and Duck too.

If it all works out, I'll start a repeat order which saves money. Unless someone can contradict me (happy for that), ordering direct from website using parcel motel with alternative UK type address, but delivered to box in Ireland, gives the best value.

• Advertisement

Dpd’s parcel wizard isn’t as strict with their dimensions like parcel motel, weight limit is 20kgs and they deliver to your door for the same price.

tk123 wrote: »
    Dpd’s parcel wizard isn’t as strict with their dimensions like parcel motel, weight limit is 20kgs and they deliver to your door for the same price.

Thanks I’ll take a look- do they provide UK addresses as well for companies who don’t ship to Ireland?

Thanks I’ll take a look- do they provide UK addresses as well for companies who don’t ship to Ireland?

Yep you get an NI address.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

scudzilla wrote: »
    i make my own food for the dogs now, 2 boxers, 1 aged 11, the idiot is 6

They've not been this happy in a long time with their food and the bonus is i know exactly what is going in it, and it's cheaper than buying dog food.

Here's the ingredients

1kg of 18% fat mince from Lidl
    1 cup of basmati rice
    1 cup of small pasta pieces
    1 stick cube and an oxo
    Some homemade carrot/parnsip mash
    3/4 cup of oats

Fry the mince and drain off excess fat, add some mixed herbs/oregano
    Mix the stock and oxo with 1 pint of hot water till disolved and add to mince
    Add in the mash, pasta and oats, stir well
    Add in the cooked rice and mix it all up
    If it looks a bit dry add in some more water

This will do my dogs for 5 meals, so 2 1/2 days

When they go into kennels i make up a batch and freeze it
    cocker5 wrote: »
    Sorry not to sound negative at all .. but while with the best intentions it’s more than likely not a complete meal .. personally I would add fish oil, bone broth and a multi vitamin to make sure they are getting all they need! But it does sound tasty!

So i've now tweaked it a touch, same as above but 8 tablespoons of cod liver oil and 8 teaspoons of this multi vits https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ourons-100-Spirulina-Powder-Horses/dp/B07DH95N4K/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=multivitamin+dog+powder&qid=1602356932&sr=8-12

Really is going down a treat, they're both dancing in the morning waiting for breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MariusPet488

Hello,

I'am looking for where i can buy dog ​​food online and found an online store <snip> Maybe anyone bought from here? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Post edited by Cherry Blossom on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi MariusPet488,

Welcome to the Pets & Pet Care forum. I have removed your link as it’s a little spammy. New users could not post links on the old site and there were good reasons for this. We do not know if you have associations with that company or not. I also see it is priced in dollars. This is an Irish discussion board. I’m not sure where you are based but you talk about a uk company on another thread. If you give us your budget and what you are looking for in a dog food we may be able to give recommendations.

Advertisement