Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Loving Trevor in this and little lad Larry :pac: . The review for cruisin blast was shyte but never expected the reviews to be more than fluff anyway.

I missed the first 20 minutes, have to catch up later.

That Mortal Kombat fight was excellent, great ending as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's on TV Wednesday at 10pm, for people who don't like to decide when to watch things themselves 😊

Didn't know that, hopefully it gets the views anyway to keep it going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Some "news" of sorts, in that Star Citizen has hit $400 million in funding. Yowsers. All the while, still in that weird Early Access state. Has any AAA video game yet had a half-a-billion budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I just don't understand who, after all these years, is still pumping money into this?

I've heard of some Turbonerds who paid $30,000 for a ship that doesn't exist yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Star Citizen starts making more sense when you think of it as a cult of sorts rather than a video game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It feels like the Sunk Cost Fallacy is probably doing a lot of the heavy-lifting: to have invested that much emotional energy, and finances, there are probably those clinging to the idea this is totally a Real Game, and not a giant con or grift. The comments in the kotaku article from which I saw the update was full of snark, awaiting fans descending on the page to declare that "well actually" the game is already out in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Whatever about the Persistent Universe and its obnoxious levels of feature creep, I don't understand why Squadron 42 hasn't released yet. Then again, I haven't paid too much attention to it over the last five years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Because Squadron 42 has been suffering the same feature creep. They've been emailing out fairly regularly about what they're doing in squadron 42 and it keeps growing in terms of features alongside the persistent universe, the single player has on foot missions and melee combat and so on now on top of the original flight sim game. Here is just a bit from their recent november 3rd what we are doing in squadron 42 email:

AI Features

The AI Feature team’s main focus throughout October was on Vanduul combat behavior, which is heavily focused on melee, allowing the team to progress with the previously detailed combo attack system.

New additions include parameters to combo attacks to rapidly prototype faster melee animations by adjusting a scale factor. This allows them to quickly balance the speed of animations, so the pace of close-range combat can be altered to increase or decrease the challenge to the player.

Motion-warp targeting now updates throughout melee attacks so that characters can re-adjust their positioning to correctly hit their targets. The team also improved the way staggers can be triggered. Now, larger characters can have staggers triggering after sustained bullet fire to interrupt their melee attacks.

The team also worked on pre-visualization for the Vanduul cinematic experience, animations for a specific navigation setup to allow NPCs to duck under obstacles, and surrendering and untrained cover usage.

Didn't Squadron 42 also hire a bunch of actors to lend both their voice and faces for the campaign cut-scenes? WIthout googling, I definitely remember Gary Oldman being one of the cast. I wonder if scope creep effects the plot of the campaign, will they re-shoot the cut-scenes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep Mark Hamill in there as well. Pretty sure they are delivering dialogue in the trailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There is some good news though. If you want something like Wing Commander but anime then Ace Combat 7 is great :pac:

If Elite could get their act together they'd be pushing an open door.

Please can we keep Kojima's writing away from the mediums of TV and Movies. I'm not sure either could survive if he got near them.

The new team will be led by Riley Russell, who joins the company after a nearly 28-year stint at PlayStation in various roles, including chief legal officer, and VP of business affairs.

Not exactly a background that suggests a natural talent for working within TV/film. They must have looked at Netflix's open chequebook and wondered why they weren't trying to get some of that sweet streaming money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You mean that other TV shows and movies wouldn’t survive once he digs his magnificent heels into the industry, right?

Right?

Every show and film needs nanomachine based Deus ex machina... Son.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Me, reading the headline: I suppose it’s good news that Harmonix is finally financially secure after a rough run.

Me, reading that Harmonix ‘will work with Epic to create musical journeys and gameplay for Fortnite’: 😖

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Epic Games partnered with Radiohead for their exhibition and tied it into Fortnite with a free tune for the waiting area or whatever you call it. It's weird hearing snippets of Kid A playing when you're waiting for your game to load. It's an incongruous mix but if it helped in getting the exhibition made, I'm more than happy to see it. I suspect that they would probably develop mini-games for Fortnite - it seems to have a load of them in there these days - while continuing to work on other projects. Can't really see what the issue is there.

Hopefully it'll be a Martin Luther King rhythm game where if you get a perfect score you get a good, clean headshot.

I still dip into Rock Band 4, maybe about once a month but the numbers are way down. Still a fun way to listen to music and make a game of it for an hour or so. Nice that I've been able to take my library of songs with me from the first game on the 360 through to Series X now.

My eldest (7 y/o) has started taking an interest in it, she can hold her own on hard bass/guitar and loves the singing. She does complain that there aren't enough songs she knows though.

I just think it's pretty sad that a company that helped define an entire genre of games (and ones I spent a lot of time with over the years) could be limited to making DLC and Fortnite mini-games.

That's with the obvious caveat that Harmonix has clearly struggled to make an impact for quite a while now - still surprised they couldn't even manage to crowdfund a PC version of Rock Band 4 a few years back. I'm happy for any jobs secured by this acquisition. Still, I can't help but be a little bummed out to see one of the pioneering developers of the 2000s subsumed into the Epic Games and Fortnite machine. Hopefully they will get to work on a few more projects outside of those mentioned in the statements.

If anyone wants some proper Harmonix gaming then check out Super Beat Sports. Criminally underrated rhythm game that came out as an Apple TV exclusive and then arrived with no fan fare on Switch.

• Advertisement

Man i miss guitar hero. 1 - 4 were so good. GH Live was so soulless and just out of touch on what made the series so good. I know everyone's sick of remasters but the original GH would be great candidates.

This was such a great video.

Advertisement