Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Even just thinking of it from a capitalism standpoint it makes sense. Think of the PR disaster for these contractors if they are outed as supporting a guy that is for putting a bounty of $10,000 on women looking for an abortion or anyone that helps them. And also the PR disaster that Tripwire is currently going through.

So why blame the contractor here? This individual didn't think of the consequences to his own company and workers when he said it, just like he doesn't care about the consequences of this law for women. This is all on him. The contractors moved to protect themselves and their own employees. Tripwire 'fired' him to protect themselves and their employees. I don't know how you can blame the contractors here. There's only one bellend at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I wonder how many types of incidents like this, is it going to take for people to cotton on to the fact that social media would be best avoided full stop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean you're not wrong but equally people need to get it into their thick skulls that social media, is you. And most of the time that's innocent mundanity. But it's not some throwaway triviality anymore, but a platform for your own beliefs, publicised to the world (for good or bad. Mostly bad). I don't advocate people not being their true self, but ... Is it something said out loud that would get you into trouble? Then don't post it online to an even bigger audience, then whine when it gets you into trouble! Especially when it's something so nakedly unpopular and vilified by anyone with a conscience, without a Y Chromosome, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

This is for you.

I’m beyond happy to tell you that at the time of writing this, Alan Wake Remastered is nearing its completion. Confirmed, announced, coming up in partnership with Epic Games Publishing. Multiplatform. PC on the Epic Games Store, Xbox, and for the first time ever, PlayStation, this generation and the previous one.

This is for you. Alan Wake came out over 11 years ago, and through that time, you have told us again and again how much you love the game, the story, the characters, and the lore. And that matters a lot to us. We love this game as well. I love this game. The remaster is coming because of your support for Alan Wake through the years. That is why we felt it was fitting to make this announcement here, at The Sudden Stop, which has been an integral part of the Remedy community since back in 2012, when it started out as an Alan Wake fansite. The Remedy community wouldn't be what it is today without The Sudden Stop, and we wanted to show our gratitude by telling you about Alan Wake Remastered right here. So thank you, Rachel, and everyone else, for supporting Remedy and our games through all these years.

Early on in the game Alan Wake says, “In a horror story the victim keeps asking why – but there can be no explanation, and there shouldn’t be one, the unanswered mystery is what stays with us the longest, and it’s what we remember in the end.” This is an idea close to my heart. Stories that make me think excite me, stories where everything is not freely handed out to me or wrapped up neatly, where I am left with a mystery. Mysteries are magical to me, they hold a promise, and I am often happier with that than a final answer. This is what we as a team, and I as the lead writer of Alan Wake, set out to create for you a long time ago.

This story and character were personal in many ways. Alan Wake, being a writer himself, gave me an opportunity to use what I do and love as a writer as an element in the story. Alan Wake also contained the mystery of forests and lakes, which are precious to me as a Finn. And, instead of a focused one-note horror fare, it was this strange, even wasteful mix of horror, humor and supernatural mystery. I also love it because it turned out to be a very hard game to make, with many struggles along the way, and that makes me even prouder of what we achieved.

The original game was only available for Xbox 360 and a few years later, PC. We are thrilled about the opportunity to bring the remastered version out for a new generation of platforms. I am excited to hear what you think about Alan Wake.

Alan Wake Remastered is the original experience you fell in love with all those years ago. We did not want to change that. But the visuals all around, including the character model of Alan Wake himself and the cinematics, have been updated and improved with some choice next-generation upgrades.

Alan Wake Remastered will launch this fall. Stay tuned for more information soon.

This is for you. I hope you enjoy it, either again, like meeting an old friend, or for the first time.

Yours,

Sam Lake, Creative Director, Remedy Entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sweet, always wanted to play that, and it may bring me back to Control afterwards to do the DLC! Noice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Now that is a man who had passion for his games. Im genuinely surprised that Microsoft didn't buy remedy back a couple of years ago when they bought so many other studios.

It's great that PS players will finally get to play Alan Wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I know Alan Wake was released well before Control, but does it come first in the game universe timeline too?

Been thinking of replaying Control since the ps5 version and dlc came to plus, but probably best to play AW first now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah its pretty much, then quantum break both leading up to control, as with control QB has a fair amount of wake stuff dotted around the place and then similarly some QB stuff rolls into control

To be fair to remedy they have done some fair job mingling them all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Alan Wake was one of those games I purchased during my "ooh on sale! bought." x 1000 periods. It's sitting on my backlog but never played more than an hour. Don't think I even got to my first proper encounter with the oogly-boogies even. Just another mainstream name I never quite got to. Wonder what odds the remaster appears on Switch 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just saw it release at a very busy time for amazing videogames, get 7's and 8's in reviews and then could never justify giving it a proper go when there was so much great stuff to play before I got around to Alan Wake.

I've a funny feeling if I do get around to it I'll file it in the same pile as Enslaved and Dead Space. Games that got 7s and 8s from magazine but are proclaimed as hidden gems by people and when you play them reaslise the reviewers were bang on with a 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

wakes combat is poor and its very linear, story wise is what picks it up and as a massive stephen king fan it was probably given extra credit for the parallels it has with himself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think both Control and Alan Wake suffer from the same problem - incredible presentation, but gameplay that can't sustain the entire running time of the games.

I haven't played Alan Wake since it came out, but definitely remember there being a lot of repetition between the cool, creepy setpieces.

Control is much fresher in my mind - the first few hours are tremendously directed, but the rest of the game only contains scattered fresh ideas and a lot of repetitive shooting sections beyond that. At least the shooting is good, if not quite good enough to justify several hours of the same enemies in slightly different locations. But some of the visual and story ideas are so strong it's a shame you've seen most of them within the opening hours (one or two late bits aside, including the famous setpiece).

To be honest Alan Wake does seem interesting enough that I do want to get around to giving it a proper go at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Yeah, I was really digging control but i really lost interest around 5 hours in and I never went back to it. It just felt really dated in terms of gameplay and the story, while mysterious wasn't strong enough to keep me going.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Alan Wake initially promised as something much more technically expansive, even a little open world? I have a very, very hazy memory of a tech demo at E3 or somesuch, showing off just how large and explorative the levels were going to be in the game - with the final result being something smaller and more intimate.

Yep you'd be right

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Main thing I remember from talk of Alan Wake around release was about batteries. Sponsored by Energizer or something and batteries dying a lot, which kinda makes you wonder why energizer would want their name on batteries that don't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

This is exactly the same case with Alan Wake. I loved the game for the reasons recyclops and others mentioned above and would argue that, as a full package, it could just about scrape an 8/10 if you were a fan of what it was trying to do and what they eventually pulled off but in general yea, it's definitely more cult classic than outright classic.

As for what the game was during development, pixelburp, you're probably remembering the presentation from the Intel Developer Forum back in 2006 when it was touted as a heavily threaded game which could take advantage of the multi-core CPUs which were becoming more prominent at the time. This video shows off the original promo footage and is then followed by that presentation where they tout the large open world, heavy usage of physics-based effects and, it being Remedy, the graphics on offer.

There's also an episode of War Stories where Sam Lake talks about how the development of the game basically had to be rebooted during production...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

New studio for Sony

Today is an incredibly exciting day for Firesprite as we join PlayStation Studios with the backing of Hermen and the entire PlayStation Family. We are very much looking forward to the next part of our journey!

Firesprite, headquartered in Liverpool in the North-West of the UK, was founded in 2012 with the vision of creating games that bring new innovations to any experience we develop. The North-West is steeped in gaming history, producing many iconic developers, publishers and games such as WipEout. Many of our ‘Sprites developed and shaped titles from this era and we are very proud of those roots!

We’ve had the pleasure of working with many talented developers and publishers across the industry and PlayStation in particular has been a friend and co-development partner for the best part of a decade, collaborating together on many exciting projects including The PlayRoom, Run Sackboy! Run and The PlayRoom VR.

PlayStation also gave us the opportunity to create our own IP, The Persistence, and we were given the creative freedom to explore, innovate, and release a survival horror game we are immensely proud of. Now, as a first party studio, we know we have the full support of PlayStation in furthering our heritage of combining creativity and technical innovation to offer some truly unique experiences for PlayStation fans.

I firstly want to thank PlayStation and their community for the warm welcome into a family of incredible creators. I’d also like to thank all of our ‘Sprites, past and present, who have helped shape the Firesprite we see today. I’m proud of the talent we have at Firesprite and you’ll continue to hear and see more from us all very soon!

We can’t wait to show you what we have been working on……we’re just getting started 😊!

– Graeme Ankers, MD of Firesprite

Sony, please scrap this multiplayer game and get this team to work on a new Wipeout.

And please ensure the new wipeout isn't an assassin's creed clone.

• Advertisement

Wipeout you say?

Could imagine Johnny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie playing that in the club

That's a deep cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Posting for reference..

Which part? The old Paul Daniels quiz show or the Hackers reference? Just wanted to be doubly sure I was showing my age.

After posting, I decided to look it up

Well I know what I'm rewatching this weekend. "Hack the planet!" Then maybe Sneakers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Well that’s got to be one of the most unexpected announcements in some time.

I absolutely loved that game and it’s sequel back when they came out, it’s up there amongst my all time favourites. I’m intrigued at the thought of it coming back, though I am also quite cautious about how well it might translate in the modern era.

Thinking about it, it was basically an open world action adventure game with stealth elements, which was way ahead of its time and unlike anything else, but that’s not exactly the most original of genres these days. The absolutely insane control scheme they used would never be accepted today, yet it was part of the game’s originality and appeal too.

What it did have in abundance that many modern games do not was charm and personality, so I hope that carries across at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Oh man, what an absolute blast of nostalgia!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Ha, class! I never got to play it back in the day as it wouldn't run on my 486DX machine (showing my age) but I was always intrigued by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I was only looking at some of the cut-scenes from it a week or two ago, thats mad! Great game, vaguely remember getting a demo of it with PC Gamer back in the day and had to go out and buy it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement