Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You must find the ancient jedi towers to unlock the locations of the ancient jedi trials.

Which take the form of enemy outposts, flag collecting tests and eavesdropping missions.

11 million copies sold.

And I didn't even need 4 years in college learning game design.

You're slacking. Lightsaber skins you can unlock after 400 hours of gameplay or buy for €1.99 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Do the recent Assassin's Creed games have those terrible eavesdropping missions? They put me right off the whole series.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

pixelburp wrote: »
    Far Cry 2 had the makings of a good Ubisoft sandbox game; the rest are just muck. Laziest game studio going ATM.

I'm lazy though, what have Massive Entertainment made in the past, maybe there's a possibility of something a little more interesting?

Blood Dragon would like to have a word with you. That game is awesome. I agree on the rest though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Blood Dragon would like to have a word with you. That game is awesome. I agree on the rest though.

I heard that. And then played it.

The humour was awful. The tutorial that made fun of videogame tutorials was particularly annoying. Its great to poke fun at things but not while making all the same mistakes as the thing you are poking fun at. The neon lighting made it hard to see enemies and I just noped out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

I heard that. And then played it.

The humour was awful. The tutorial that made fun of videogame tutorials was particularly annoying. Its great to poke fun at things but not while making all the same mistakes as the thing you are poking fun at. The neon lighting made it hard to see enemies and I just noped out of it.

You really enjoy telling people why they shouldn't have liked that game that they liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Its sort of Retr0gamers trademark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

dohboy wrote: »
    You really enjoy telling people why they shouldn't have liked that game that they liked.

Retr0 might be forthright and have a love for Ace Combat 7 that borders on fetishistic, but I really don't see where in his post he was telling anyone anything. Beyond sharing his opinion that ala Shania Twain, Blood Dragon don't impress him much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some might say asshole.

I prefer videogame connoisseur.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think there's wonderful clarity in your posts where you explain to us as if we were children, why we're so wrong,
    I have a far bigger issue with pixelburp's unfounded allegation that Far Cry 3 was muck.
    I do see a lot of love for Far Cry 2. Never played it, the malaria mechanic sounds like a mare but driving 20 minutes to get to a mission is just not on. I might as well get a real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,917 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

gizmo wrote: »
    Having just finished The Clone Wars show though, I can't think of a better way to bring back some of the fun from Bad Company than with the Bad Batch. :o

They're getting their own spinoff animated series.
    gizmo wrote: »
    They're also working on Avatar which could be a reasonable indication as to what the team can do outside of the Division IP and what they could do with Star Wars and the tech they have.

I really liked the first Avatar game. The way it split into 2 separate games part of the way through depending on which path you chose could be done as light side/dark side decision. I know that might sound like games like Infamous, but as much as I loved the Infamous games, good and bad were pretty much the same game.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    You're slacking. Lightsaber skins you can unlock after 400 hours of gameplay or buy for €1.99 each.
    So Fallen Order? I was disappointed when I got the first lightsabre update and it didn't actually make any change to it in any way apart from appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think there's wonderful clarity in your posts where you explain to us as if we were children, why we're so wrong,
    I have a far bigger issue with pixelburp's unfounded allegation that Far Cry 3 was muck.
    I do see a lot of love for Far Cry 2. Never played it, the malaria mechanic sounds like a mare but driving 20 minutes to get to a mission is just not on. I might as well get a real life.

You're main mistake is in taking Retro seriously TBH. It'd be a dry place if everyone spoke the same, I'd rather àssholes than a circlejerk forum.

Unfounded far cry 3 no less. Shrug. I'll say instead that the law of diminishing returns kicked in bigtime after 2. #3 probably the best afterwards sure but beyond that Ubis cloning facilities really kicked off.

Far cry 2 is almost a great game. The problem is it's not that fun. Has a lot of flaws like the respawning checkpoints.

But then not being much fun kind of suits the game. It's got this wonderfully oppressive atmosphere where you can feel the clawing heat eating away at you.

Worth a shot but it's waaaaaaay too long and you probably won't finish it.

I think the law of diminshing returns kicked in for me on Far Cry 4. FC3 was my introduction to the series although I played the first one on pc back in the day Played 3 to death, even online co-op, which I remember fondly but not why. I tried 4 a few times but never got through it, I did finish 5. Genuinely have no idea why I keep buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Some might say asshole.

I prefer videogame connoisseur.
    539369.png

Far cry 2 is almost a great game. The problem is it's not that fun. Has a lot of flaws like the respawning checkpoints.

But then not being much fun kind of suits the game. It's got this wonderfully oppressive atmosphere where you can feel the clawing heat eating away at you.

Worth a shot but it's waaaaaaay too long and you probably won't finish it.

Oh yeah, Far Cry 2 punished you and that was kind of the point. No, not necessarily fun and the constantly respawning checkpoints were too far into simple frustration but I respected and admired FC2s adhering to a proper, definitive direction and style. After that, the games held back from proper distinction and direction, curdling at the tedious outpost / tower grind. The malaria idea was vicious, but inspired (as was the weapons breakage, even if ironically I hate that aspect of BOTW the most), and I felt more invested in the games world than later entries.

Mr Crispy wrote: »

Huh. A license I've never really thought about in gaming terms, despite its popularity. Has there even ever been a good Harry Potter game worth speaking of? Last one I heard of was some awful mobile, pay to win grindathon...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Far Cry 2 is the only Far Cry I like and I'm honestly desperate for anything like it. The rest of the series bores the balls off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

pixelburp wrote: »
    Huh. A license I've never really thought about in gaming terms, despite its popularity. Has there even ever been a good Harry Potter game worth speaking of? Last one I heard of was some awful mobile, pay to win grindathon...

The Lego Harry Potter games were good, and they were early in the over saturation of the lego games market. I plat'd them on the PS4... 3 maybe...

FC2 was great, but as ye said, the malaria and respawning checkpoints ruined it. I think I did eventually finish it. FC3 was excellent though. My memory wouldn't be the best, but wasn't 3 the first one to properly introduce climbing the towers and all the other stuff that's done to death these days? It also has one of my favourite missions (Kicking the Hornets Nest), and overall was an excellent game with fantastic acting and one of the more memorable bad guys in recent gaming history.

Like above though, I was worn out of it after trying Primal and then 4. Never finished 4, felt too similar, and 5 was just a whole open world of meh. Never finished that either, even through multiple attempts.

In other news, and immediately a reason for me to not even consider this game now, Arkham Knights combat was entirely redesigned with a focus on co-op. Great. I'd imagine the SP will still be possible, most likely with with AI companions (which rarely work in my experience). I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

It’s tragic that there are still people today, despite Battlefront II being free on PS+, who will never touch this game because of the launch debacle. I paid for Battlefront II a month before it became free and I’m still happy, that’s how good the game is.

It's going to be free later today on Epic Games (for about a week): https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/star-wars-battlefront-2/home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

https://twitter.com/RidersRepublic/status/1349763240302149635?s=19

Ubisoft’s massively multiplayer racing game that combines mountain biking, snowboarding, wingsuiting, and other outdoor extreme sports has been delayed. Riders Republic was previously scheduled for release on Feb. 25, but Ubisoft delayed the game indefinitely on Thursday to allow for more development time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,603 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Good for them. Not an easy thing to admit or do with pressure from upper management to just get it out.

maybe the cyberpunks***show will encourage developers to rethink similar strategies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Riders republic sounds savage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

maybe the cyberpunks***show will encourage developers to rethink similar strategies

Ah the naivety of youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Cyberpunk 2077 sold 13 million copies in two weeks. Ain't nobody interpreting that as a cautionary tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Throw the game out > Patch > "We've listened to our fans/the community/We hear you" etc (Never refer to them customers!) > Wait for shítstorm to die down > Cash those cheques, baby!

Cyberpunk 2077 sold 13 million copies in two weeks. Ain't nobody interpreting that as a cautionary tale.

I got my money back and I'm sure a lot of others did too but irrespective of that time will tell what harm they've done to their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I know Cyberpunk is nearly a law onto itself but are triple A games just getting so complex now that a lot of bugs aren't going to be fully discovered until they release the game and start getting player feedback which they can patch on the fly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement