Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I very much doubt Sony was swayed by whatever they were working on. More likely it's just corporate shenanigans. A company set up to be taken over by Sony or directors of the company being mates with Sony directors and cutting a deal.

I'd say mostly likely it's a way for Sony to get back into mobile games after killing their mobile division but having less liability with having a second party do it rather than an internal studio and the company was set up to always be that for Sony. The shooter was meant to make them look legit but in reality it was pitched to investors in secret that in two years time their shares would become Sony entertainment shares.

No games company is getting bought on the spec of a game demo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Entirely possible that they'll brought in under Bungie, to do a mobile version of Destiny 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

That was almost exactly my thought when I read they were newly formed, but more that the founder aimed their company at Sony, praying for a buyout.

Kinda like The Michael Scott Paper Company vs Dunder Mifflin 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Would post in the leaks thread except The Jason has confirmed some of this is true. If so, I'd definitely welcome a modern non rpg AC game. Odyssey might have been a great game but it wasn't a great AC game, same with Valhalla. Would love to get back to the basics of assassinating people.

Remake of AC 1 I'm not sure if though. That was just not a fun game. I have up after a few hours due to boredom. It's mad how AC 2 turned that around. If they learned from mistakes and changed enough to make it fun, could well be worth a look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The first Assassin's Creed is one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. It was sold as Hitman during the Crusades. What we got was a complete shitshow featuring 4 mission types repeated ad nauseum and linear assassination missions. Garbage.

A remake would be welcome as the first game complete squandered such an interesting setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I remember loving the first one, but it was completely eclipsed by the Ezio trilogy. I wasn't a fan of Hitman so nothing to compare it to, and it sucked me right in until completion. Loved the idea, the story, the setting. Looking back on it, yeah, nothing to compare to 2. But not as bad as ye are making out. IMO.

Nah it really was that bad. It was an unfinished borefest. Even after reading the 3/10 review in Games TM I went and bought it and god was it bad.

Assassin's Creed 2 was considered one of the biggest improvements between sequels at the time. People were surprised how good it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I still enjoyed it at the time for what it was, but yea it was a massive disappointment. Some of the review scores for it back then were shocking.

I was more shocked at some reviewers giving it more than a 6/10. I mean it was the start of the PS360 era and there weren't many games for the system worth playing, it was even worse on PS3, but it didn't excuse this game for being awful. It did look great but it was so vapid. It felt like a tech demo for Ubisoft's new anvil engine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny though; what I Recall of Creed #1 was it was similar to the original Mafia: you had this expansive, evocative urban and rural landscape to explore - but beyond the actual Story Missions there was nothing to do within them. As Retr0 said there was only a limited number of mission types.

I wonder is that an example of over-correction; 'cos given how the Creed games developed noisy maps with endless busywork, it's funny how the very first game had so little gameplay beyond the key pillar.

• Advertisement

First game definitely had the noisy maps. You'd get lots of icons for different mission types. Only difference was there were 3 mission types and all of them were bad. It definitely got worse as time went on but Assassin's Creed was the first time I noticed the noisy map (can't comment on mafia as I don't remember it as well).

Could you imagine if DK64 had a minimap? It would put even the worst AC game to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

AC1 was okay for the most part in terms of the actual gameplay, but the mission structure completely ruined the game, and the present day stuff was annoying as hell.

AC2 fixed everything that was wrong with AC1, improved everything that was good about AC1, then added in a whole bunch of new stuff which was all great. One of my favourite games of all time.

I like the idea of AC returning to more of a linear game than RPG, but it'll still be Ubisoft-ed with too much open world stuff, resources to collect, and anything they can turn into a microtransaction. Then it'll be on sale 2 months after launch.

Oh that would be fun. Especially if it highlighted items and objects that your current character can't actually collect but doesn't tell you you can't collect them until you walk over to them.

It was a pain in the hole but I still love that game, lasted me months!

I suppose on the N64 you took what you could get and with so few worthwhile releases a long game was preferable but that game like the majority of rare's output on the system does not hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Agree entirely with this. I don't think AC1 was as bad as it's being made out as, at the time it was released. It has categorically become a worse game the further into the rear view mirror it has gone but it was a perfectly adequate 7-7.5/10 game when it came out with clear issues and room for improvement. It doesn't hold up anymore for sure, but claiming it was atrocious upon release is just not reflective of how it was received upon release.

AC2 was incredible and similar to you, it was one of my favourites of all time.

I will admit that I am one of the few who enjoyed the modern day storyline up to Brotherhood but after that they clearly had no idea what to do with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

AC1 mostly suffered from there really only being 4 different mission types (three information-gathering missions, then assassination mission), repeated for I think 9 different targets. There was no variety aside from difficulty. The gameplay itself was fine, there was just so little to do with it.

The modern day stuff kept getting better and better, until the first-person platforming nonsense of Revelations. Then Ac3 finally had some small, but decent modern-day stealth action sequences. After that though, the first-person "working in a film studio that's actually Abstergo" nonsense in Black Flag just killed the flow of that game and was boring as hell. Like you said, they clearly had a plan, but considering they had to end the Desmond story in AC3 due to it being 2012, they then stretched it way too far with a new modern-day threat which was just nonsense. Would have been better abandoning the modern-day part at that stage and just show different assassins throughout history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Those four mission types were so exciting... Until the third time you had to do them and realised... this was it 😂

I had blocked out the memories of the first person awfulness of the modern day stuff, particularly the office parts, my word that was awful. I think you're spot on about abandoning it - they really needed/need to either go all in and make a compelling modern-day storyline or ditch it completely, having it take up 5-10% of a storyline is a lose-lose. Even the Layla-Basim swap in Valhalla had me shrugging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I only ended up playing a few hours of Halo Infinite (it was grand!) but I’m really fascinated by the strange ongoing development story. It’s extraordinarily chaotic, especially for a studio that must be extremely well-resourced by Microsoft. Players seem frustrated and/or furious, popular features like couch co-op are dropped completely after being promised, and even relatively small-scale updates like new maps are taking months and months to show up. They went all in on ‘live service’ and seem to be struggling to deal with what that requires.

343 seems to be in a bad place, and while I’m sure the pandemic disrupted development seriously (and obviously crunch isn’t the answer), I do have to wonder whether Microsoft would consider handing Halo over to someone else given the mess that seems to be unfolding.

Phil Spencer on Activision merger. Reiterates it will stay on Playstation.

Extra points for anyone who can read it without a Phil Spencer voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Rocket League Season 8 starting Wednesday. New car for the season? Ek9 Civic! Yurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Microsoft has promised to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation for three years beyond the current agreement between Activision and Sony, says PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan.

In a statement provided to GamesIndustry.biz, Ryan says the offer was "inadequate on many levels

The current deal between Sony and Activision Blizzard around Call of Duty is believed to cover the next three releases, including this year's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

However, Sony says the offer fails to consider the impact on PlayStation gamer

"I hadn't intended to comment on what I understood to be a private business discussion, but I feel the need to set the record straight because Phil Spencer brought this into the public forum," Ryan stated

"Microsoft has only offered for Call of Duty to remain on PlayStation for three years after the current agreement between Activision and Sony ends. After almost 20 years of Call of Duty on PlayStation, their proposal was inadequate on many levels and failed to take account of the impact on our gamers. We want to guarantee PlayStation gamers continue to have the highest quality Call of Duty experience, and Microsoft's proposal undermines this principle." d.s.2.".rinciple."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

"it is seriously impacting my pockets, ahem, i mean our players, think of the children!"

Sony can kick and scream all they want. €80 on Playstation or "free" on Game Pass.

(Free as in you already uave a subscription so it effectively costs you nothing extra).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

AC bloat turned me off the series but I did enjoy Odyssey and probably put 100+ hours into it. None of the others like Valhalla or the Egypt one even tempted me to play it.

• Advertisement

In Valhalla the bloat even blocked story progression, I went 3 nights at one stage until I'd done enough to able to resume the main story.

It's a bonkers series, it had this interesting underlying story that they never seemed to know what to do with and just pulled the rug from under peoples feet how many times now??? You had the Desmond stuff where that ended in 3, then the rubbish in 4 and now I think about it it started way before that didn't it with the Lucy stuff in one of the DLCs in the Ezio games????

And now there is the stuff in the last 3 games lol.

Advertisement