Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

WB senior management obviously didn't see the reaction to Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So so short-sighted. Not even short-sighted... Plain old oblivious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hey, people need to pay more attention to the wording of that tweet from Rockstar:

"We are very excited to let you know that in early December, we will release the first trailer for the next Grand Theft Auto. We look forward to many more years of sharing these experiences with all of you."

They're basically telling us they're gonna have a few years of teasing and announcing. No games will come out in that period. Well, maybe low effort re-releases, but no new games, just announcements and teasers and trailers.

On serious though, I've lost all respect for Rockstar. I still have no doubt they'll make a good game, but I'm not excited for it, because it'll just devolve into what V was, online focused. Still waiting for that V single player DLC... But as noted above, it won't matter. The game will break records on release even if it's pants. I will be interested to see how they've adapted to the crazieness of the world nowadays. It's 10 years since they released V, a lot has changed, don't think we'll get missions like the torture one, or even playable main characters that may not be considered acceptable today (Trevor). Saints Row fell victim to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The last tweet with the GTA 6 or next GTA or whatever was a follow up to a 25 year Rockstar anniversary tweet thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It was tongue in cheek, I expect it to release next year at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It'll be 2026 by the time it's out on PC. **** R*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man.... I like Yongyea's vids and happy he got this break but he's not a patch on the Japanese va.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I did a lot of taxi driving for someone called Roman Bellic, so I might consider getting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

New Steamdeck model announced with an OLED screen.

The old model Steamdeck has been removed excluding the 256gb model which has dropped in price to €419, the same price as the prior 64gb model.

The two variants of the OLED model are available at the previous price points of 256gb and 512 gb models, €569 and €679, and have 512gb and 1tb of storage.

The discontinued 64gb and 512gb models are currently on clearance until stock is exhausted at €389 and €469 respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The 64GB and 512GB of the LCD are still showing as available for me. €369 and €469 respectively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OLED model looks lovely but can’t really justify an upgrade at that price, tempting though it is. Seems like it’d be 100% the way to go for a new owner though.

Interesting tidbit that Steam Deck 2 is on the way, but will likely be 2-3 years til launch:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

They have to wait to see what Switch 2 does before they finish the design of SD2. 😁

Just to add to the Infinite Wealth English dub dogpile, here's some of the karaoke. It probably needs another pass for autotune etc but still😬.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well the awards season starts

GOLDEN JOYSTICK AWARD WINNERS 2023

• Best Storytelling - Baldur's Gate 3
    • Still Playing Award - No Man's Sky
    • Best Visual Design - Baldur's Gate 3
    • Studio of the Year - Larian Studios
    • Best Game Expansion - Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
    • Best Indie Game - Sea of Stars
    • Best VR Game - Horizon Call of the Mountain
    • Best Multiplayer Game - Mortal Kombat 1
    • Best Audio - Final Fantasy XVI
    • Best Game Trailer - Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
    • Best Streaming Game - Valorant
    • Best Game Community - Baldur's Gate 3
    • Best Gaming Hardware - PSVR 2
    • Breakthrough Award - Cocoon / Geometric Interactive
    • Critics' Choice Award - Alan Wake II
    • Best Lead Performer - Ben Starr, Final Fantasy XVI
    • Best Supporting Performer - Neil Newborn, Astarion, Baldur's Gate 3
    • Nintendo Game of the Year - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
    • PC Game of the Year - Baldur's Gate 3
    • Xbox Game of the Year - Starfield
    • PlayStation Game of the Year - Resident Evil 4
    • Most Wanted Game - Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
    • Ultimate Game of the Year - Baldur's Gate 3

Post edited by CastorTroy on

• Advertisement

I think TotK is the only one of this year's releases I played so will be abstaining from voting in the boards one again this year. Unless the likes of Immortals Fenyx Rising and Code Veronica are eligible.

So can't comment on Baldur's Gate 3, but I wonder how much recency bias will play into some votes. Not just that some games are fresher in people's memories, but also as everyone knows, people cool of on games and realise their flaws the longer they're out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What else was on PlayStation worth playing this year? It was a very meagre year for PS owners.

Good to see Baldur's gate stomp home with a lot of awards although would have been nice if Armored core 6 got some recognition

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ive not played Baldur's gate 3 but it honestly sounds like the best game this year by far

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Baldur’s Gate 3 is bloody fantastic with or without recency bias.

I’d raise more of an eyebrow at Starfield winning any kind of Xbox game of the year award in the year HiFi Rush came out 🎸

Yeah I hear Baldur's Gate is great and think in general this year is considered by many as a hard year to predict GotY.

Strangely BG3 wasn't nominated for PS5 and Spider-Man 2 was nominated for voice performance and Ultimate GotY but not for Ps5.

May have been to do with what was voted for by the public and what was voted for by critics. So the public votes were open before Alan Wake and Spider-Man released.

• Advertisement

Yeah Spider-Man 2 probably released too close to the awards to have been nominated, and there was Final Fantasy XVI, but personally I didn't enjoy it.

Delighted to see Baldurs Gate 3 do so well though. It's one of the best games I've played in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

In such a stellar year it’s no surprise it’s BG3. It’s utterly engrossing and completely mind boggling how much player actions affect the story.

A landmark RPG I’ll be playing for years to come.

Added the link to the site with the nominees to the original post.

Comment from the studio. Can't say I'll play it as I'm not an RPG player but good to see Independent studios doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

Starfield is far better than HiFi Rush and I played HiFi rush twice just for achievements. I have put 87 hours into Starfield and I'm still not finished. Once you get over the hurdle of loading screens it is an excellent game.

Nevermind. Is there no delete function on boards?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Great news for the Irish Larian Studios team for Baldurs Gate 3 as this was the first game released that they contributed to.

Bit weird RE4 getting it on PS GOTY while BG3 got the PC and Overall and all those others.

Like the votes could fall differently but when BG3/larian was getting so much else why it lose out to RE4.

Also even if someone likes his voice I don't know how Astarion got the win there, unless you're playing evil he whines a lot. Also supporting isn't fully accurate as you can play any of them as main character.

My twitter was just full of being full on gushing over asterion. He has a big fanbase.

Hopefully I can start on Baldur's gate this month. It's sounds like the kind of RPG I wanted while being disappointed by the likes of mass effect and whatever Bethesda put out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Really bizarre choice given that BG3 wrapped up the majority of the awards and it's a console exclusive to Playstation currently. And if they're giving multiplatform games those rewards how on earth did something as poor as Starfield win the xbox one? I guess it's just one of the reasons to take these kinds of awards with a massive dollop of salt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That didn't take long: the exodus from The Escapist have already set up shop elsewhere on YouTube.

• Advertisement

I guess it's just that people would think of BG3 as being a PC game first and foremost, and might think of the RE games as predominantly being on PlayStation. Then you just have likely splitting of votes depending on the different nominees in each category.

It's not worth overly thinking about though. Just a way to give some decent games and studios their flowers.

Post edited by Penn on

I played all the way through BG3 on PS5 - chosen over PC so I could play multiplayer with friends. But even then, I’d still consider it a PC game first and foremost 😂

Some news coming out in the last hour so that claims Jirard has been holding onto charity funds and that some of the funds haven't been used correctly.

I have to say that I really enjoyed his content and wouldn't have thought he'd do something like he's being accused of doing.

Western physical release for Baldurs Gate 3 announced for Q1 2024. The Xbox version is on 3 discs, it most likely requires the extra disc due to the X and S versions being different builds. These cost €100 including shipping.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Xbox game disks are limited to 50gb. No one really knows why, but it's a very good guess that MS just didn't want to shell out the money to support something that they probably feel is superfluous when you consider most games need a multiple gig day one patch.

Av forums have complaints of triple 33.4gb per layer having issue on xbox so they play at least but can have issues. Not too many 100gb 4k movies.

Double layer movies seem to work fine, so might be 3 x 66gb disc rather than 3 x 50gb.

Usually they use all the space to reduce compression. So 2 x 3 layer vs 3 x 2 layer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, it's just a policy limit, not a hardware restriction. They could almost certainly change it at anytime, but they clearly don't want to. I can understand it too, what with the digital share of the market becoming the dominate way of getting the games, and while it doesn't really affect me at all, I do feel annoyed on behalf of those it does impact.

Couldn't cost much at all to do properly.

• Advertisement

Seeing this story build traction, The Last of Us 2 PS5 version looks to be announced soon, possibly the game awards. Wait till ye see, "built from the ground up" with an 80 euro price tag on it. No way will it have a free upgrade but at least a an upgrade option would be nice bit i have zero confidence on naughty Dog/Sony doing anything consumer friendly these days.

I wouldn't mind playing through the story again at some point, but unless this included some decent-sized DLC, I'd just download the PS4 version again.

Yeah i only played it 1 and a half times (half to get the plat) but was so grim, i couldn't finish it. Would definitely play through again.

Wouldn't play it again. Felt like it wasted 25 hours of my life. It made itself seem important and by the end of had absolutely nothing to say and the recent revelations about it paralleling Israel/Palestine make it seem even more off key. It's like the videogame version of Crash (2004).

Given the game already got a 60FPS patch and remains a technical showcase, any attempt to charge 80 quid for this will be farcical. But it is Sony.

I'm not even sure ray tracing would help considering the original has best in class global illumination.

• Advertisement

I just want to see those glorious rope physics in 4K 60FPS HDR Ray tracing LIKE THEY ALWAYS SHOULD HAVE BEEN!

I think Sony will fully try to capitalise on the tv show. Season 2 is supposed to start filming in January with release in 2025 and reports that Abby has been cast (God help Kaitlyn Dever if true). I still want to play Part 1 'remake' but even in the black friday sale, it's down to a whopping 50 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I liked part 2 at the time.

I played the remake of part 1 recently though and tried to roll right into part 2 as I was in the mood. I ran whack into a long boring walking around taking to people start that just killed it for me.

I always think that if they were killing Joel they should have started you as Abby and pushed your buttons until you killed him yourself. Would have been a much more powerful way to make their point, than the lazy kill a main character for shock moment usually kept for TV shows in their waning 6th season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

€43 in Smyths if that's any bit closer to your price point.

Nah still a bit too pricey for a game i already own twice minus the brilliant factions. I'm tempted to play through remaster again but just gonna wait til part 1 makes it to ps plus or price drops to 20.

• Advertisement
Advertisement